Rumour GFC 2017 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Half expecting you to throw out “snowflake” or such terms judging by your agreessive rant in there.
I was being assertive, but I've seen this show and know where is ends. Not accusing you of being a snowflake or anything like that at all. Just putting a boundary out there. Don't call others ignorant because they aren't playing the game your way.

AFL just broke the trade rules again didn't they?

"If a club trades a future first-round selection, it may not trade any other future selection from that same draft. But if a club keeps its future first-round selection, it can trade any of its future selections from other rounds."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-06/future-trading-given-goahead-but-with-restrictions

I said this before... Is it Animal Farm at the AFL? The rule will apply to all clubs ...but they will apply to some clubs more than others ?

Man this turtle joke has been going on for 2 years. I bet ya some of the people complaining about it now were posting turtle references or liking posts with them.
And no I wasn't of them. Not because I think it's racist just didn't really find it funny.

*Bingo*. Exactly.

I said this before... Is it Animal Farm at the AFL? The rule will apply to all clubs ...but they will apply to some clubs more than others ?
The rules only ever apply to the degree the AFL wants them too, haven't you learned this by now.

I was being assertive, but I've seen this show and know where is ends. Not accusing you of being a snowflake or anything like that at all. Just putting a boundary out there. Don't call others ignorant because they aren't playing the game your way.
I should just accept the causal racism is that right?

So next time I am/family or community are exposed to this sort of stuff we should just accept it.

Got you thanks for enlighting me.

Yes, I agree with you in essence. I'm of the view, though, that we are better off using 20 on say Watts than an 18 y.o. for our "experiment". Because the clock is ticking on our experiments useful life. Now, if Wells is indeed playing a game of brinkmanship with other clubs re targets, all good and well. thats why i'll judge when we have some definitive outcomes at the end of trade. However, pragmatically speaking, it is irrefutable that a mature player is more likely to be useful for us than a green kid for the next season or two. And before people cite Richmond and the likes of Castagna, Butler etc. There is no Richmond flag minus Martin, Cotchin, Rance and Riewoldt. And on the sliding scale of valuable cogs the likes of Houli, Vlastuin, Prestia, Nank, Caddy etc come well ahead of the likes of Castagna, Butler in delivering Tiger success. 20 has a value for us right now, but that value is far less likely in the draft.

and I disagree because as of 2016 finals the clock stopped for me. We can not add enough players in one hit from mature stocks available to counter the outs ..lets alone improve. The improvement has to be driven from the foundation of the core. Im hoping by hitting the draft hard the next two years its enough to stopping the lemming approach to trade ins and we can get back to adding mature players for needs that arrive due to a failure in your drafting.

So next time I am/family or community are exposed to this sort of stuff we should just accept it.

I take it your aboriginal. I lived in the North Coast for years and have friends and family that are aboriginal.
Never thought the turtle thing was racist as yous are usually better at fishing and hunting than us potato eating muthafukers. And don't mind letting me know either.
Sorry if you are offended though.

You don't think getting Scarlett and Ablett was good luck? Hawkins? Selwood at 7?

Drafting in 99 and 01 was of utmost importance no doubt because our list was in terrible shape. And, it was the only way to go about it. Our list is in good shape at present and a blend of trading and drafting is suitable going forward.

Yes, there is luck in Scarlo and Ablett, but you make your own luck I believe. Luck got them in the door, but luck didn't turn them into the great players they became. The latter point is the most relevant I think.

On your second point, I disagree. Drafting isn't suitable for us going forward. We need to strike whilst we have Selwood and Hawkins still upright with Danger. These guys are major drivers of our weekly output. Bigly! We are headed for a major list overhaul once the best of 2 of those guys, maybe even 1, is gone. There is no way around it. We simply don't have enough elite talent under the age of 25. We should only be hitting the draft with speculative picks worth little at the trade table. If we unearth a gem, added bonus. Our draft picks at the moment are most valuable to us as a trading commodity. If we go to the draft with those picks we are likely diminishing our chances of saluting in the next season or two, and thats not a good idea.

Now you *are* being a snowflake. I've copped more genuine racism/antisemitism in my life than most, but my rule is this: if a comedian gets away with it in a show, I'm prepared to let it slide in real life. Saying someone is getting fat or turtle meat is stereotyping at best but hardly genuine vilification based on race. It's a lame attempt at humour. Get over it and move on. It will happen again- that's life. It's not evil or physically harmful and if it hurts your feelings you will survive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I take it your aboriginal. I lived in the North Coast for years and have friends and family that are aboriginal.
Never thought the turtle thing was racist as yous are usually better at fishing and hunting than us potato eating muthafukers. And don't mind letting me know either.
Sorry if you are offended though.
I'm indigenous Spazz.

No offense taken here!

Of course, the draft is an inexact science. That is why when you choose the draft as a CLEAR path, you blanket bomb it. Its all a numbers game in reality. You will have busts at the top end, wins in the middle and rookie rounds. That is why, when you go with say picks 10, 28, and 40 in the draft, you are less likely to succeed than if you have picks 10, 14, 20, 28, 35 and etc. That is where a CLEAR path, and more importantly, brave decisions come into play. We didn't get lucky with our 7-11 team. We Blanket Bombed the 99 and 01 drafts. Had hits and misses, but succeeded because we had heaps of picks. That wasn't luck, that was completely by design. Hard decisions were made. Mick Mansfield was turned into Chapman. Bizzell netted Kelly. Brave decisions. Give me a brave decision we've made in recent years?

This is relevant at the draft AND trade table. Could we turn Blicavs into something more valuable via trade? Could we turn the Bulldogs head with Guthrie for Stringer? Should we have traded out champions for better draft picks post '13? We are trying to balance an aggressive rebuild with a conservative approach. Not the way to do it, if you ask me. We pissed off plenty of champions in the end anyway, some finished careers elsewhere for zero benefit to US. Players are pragmatically seeking alternatives like Christensen, Mots, Menz (as is their right). Contracted players are walking when it suits (Caddy). R1's are being lost for peanuts because of poor development (Brown, Smedts, Lang?, Thurlow?). **** that, time to get our shit together again.

While there is some truth to what you say, we still got lucky in 1999 and 2001. You need good picks to get good players, but you can't expect 4 of the top 10 players from each of those drafts with the picks we had either. It was a highly improbable outcome that we benefited massively from.

Now you *are* being a snowflake. I've copped more genuine racism/antisemitism in my life than most, but my rule is this: if a comedian gets away with it in a show, I'm prepared to let it slide in real life. Saying someone is getting fat or turtle meat is stereotyping at best but hardly genuine vilification based on race. It's a lame attempt at humour. Get over it and move on. It will happen again- that's life. It's not evil or physically harmful and if it hurts your feelings you will survive.
If I call you ignorant it’s ok I’m only hurting your feelings

You’ll survive

While there is some truth to what you say, we still got lucky in 1999 and 2001. You need good picks to get good players, but you can't expect 4 of the top 10 players from each of those drafts with the picks we had either. It was a highly improbable outcome that we benefited massively from.
I expect it every year with Wellsy!

Hey Spazz - I think we need to trip more acid and save this thread?

Maybe, just this once, we derail it back to where it should be! :D
Haha. Yeah. If we did it on purpose it would probably somehow ending up working in reverse and we might make some sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back