Rumour GFC 2017 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists.

Who would you rather at the Cats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see tonight the media are reporting that Jackson Trengove from Port is almost signed and sealed going to the Dogs as a FA ... one would think they would have to be careful about targeting FA's or they will lose their comp. So no to Motlop ?
motlop has seen no love - has a low geelong offer in front of him
expect a late $$$$ offer from a club like the Tigers if they miss a gf

Interested in opinions...

How would you feel if our net profit/loss in the trade period looked something like the below? Overjoyed? Content? Disappointed? Devastated?

IN: Smith, Ablett
OUT: Motlop, Menzel

I'll be disappointed if Menzel leaves regardless of whatever else happens. But if you take the emotion out of it then it really depends on what picks are used and received in these trades. I'd hope we'd pick up Ablett for peanuts if he is to come and that Smith we could get for a second rounder. There are people more informed than me that could give a better idea as to what compo we may receive for Motlop and Menzel if they were to leave but it would seem silly to let them go if we weren't going to receive a pick in the 20's at the very least for both.

How would you feel if our net profit/loss in the trade period looked something like the below? Overjoyed? Content? Disappointed? Devastated?

It's a net loss when you factor in that Lonergan and Mackie will also be gone (maybe Taylor too). That's four best 22 players, all potentially among Geelong's best/most experienced handful of players, to get in Smith (a forward with injury concerns of his own) and an old, broken-down Ablett who is unlikely to play more than 15 games for the club. For a club vying for a flag, that doesn't seem like upward movement for me. For a start, who replaces the scoring output of Menzel? Geelong just has Hawkins. No second potent tall forward, no prolific small goalkickers. Even if they acquire Smith, he doesn't kick a lot of goals. Lonergan and Mackie out also leave pretty big holes in the backline in terms of expertise and experience. If they keep Bews, you'd think they can cover Mackie. A quality KPD is another question. I don't really think Smith and Ablett alone are worth the outlay of Menzel and Motlop to be honest. Motlop for Smith alone would be a decent return.

Contracted players can still be traded. I'm just saying, Gaff is a quality player, and WCE would want quality back. We saw what happened when Geelong started poking around Richmond and Caddy's name was bandied about. Suddenly he went from, according to the skipper, being guaranteed to remain at Geelong, to being shipped off a couple of days later. I think with the right inducements, any player can be compelled to leave regardless of ties, especially when it's to return home.

People need to let go of fantastical ideas about getting quality players for cheap. It won't happen, especially if you observe Geelong's history at the trade table. If you wanted Gaff, you would have to be prepared to lose real quality, because that is what WCE would ask for, and once they got in Duncan's ear, who knows what could happen?
FFS. Leave this shit already.
Your insistence about Duncan to WA being possible is bloody annoying. SMH.

I'll be disappointed if Menzel leaves regardless of whatever else happens. But if you take the emotion out of it then it really depends on what picks are used and received in these trades. I'd hope we'd pick up Ablett for peanuts if he is to come and that Smith we could get for a second rounder. There are people more informed than me that could give a better idea as to what compo we may receive for Motlop and Menzel if they were to leave but it would seem silly to let them go if we weren't going to receive a pick in the 20's at the very least for both.

I'm guessing between 20-30 for each of them?

I don't seeing the value of Smith + Ablett being too much more than the value of two picks between 20-30. Could be wrong there.

I don't seeing the value of Smith + Ablett being too much more than the value of two picks between 20-30. Could be wrong there.

I'd have Smith as a late teens to early 20's pick and Ablett as a pick in the 50's. I wouldn't be giving up anything of value to get Ablett. If GC won't come to the party then they can deal with the fallout.

I think we need to factor in a few things with Smith. Is he a forward or are we looking at him as a future mid? As a forward I'd like to see a few more goals. Mid wise we really haven't seen enough.

The other thing is cashola. If the $600k figure is right then I'd be pointing him elsewhere. For that money you could get a gun small forward or a solid mid. Motlop is rumored to be on that coin yet he's berated for underperforming. Can't help to think that Dev might cop a bit of the same..

I'd have Smith as a late teens to early 20's pick and Ablett as a pick in the 50's. I wouldn't be giving up anything of value to get Ablett. If GC won't come to the party then they can deal with the fallout.
GC won't let him go for nothing picks. That is clear. They want something decent, either a decent player or a good pick. It's just a matter of whether or not Geelong caves, which usually happens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GC won't let him go for nothing picks. That is clear. They want something decent, either a decent player or a good pick. It's just a matter of whether or not Geelong caves, which usually happens.

They eventually blinked with O'Meara so it may be further bluster from their President. Just hope that we aren't fixated on bringing Ablett home. I get the feeling we aren't.

Gaff for Lonergan, Mackie, GHS, Cowan, Hayball and our last draft pick. Yes please.

The old 6 C graders (well the first 2 aren't but they are retiring) for an A grader trade proposal. Only on bigfooty.

I see tonight the media are reporting that Jackson Trengove from Port is almost signed and sealed going to the Dogs as a FA ... one would think they would have to be careful about targeting FA's or they will lose their comp. So no to Motlop ?

Depends on the $ I reckon, they will ask afl for an indication of compo I reckon and if it looks like they will get pick 19 then they might try and trade for Motlop to protect it if the trade is cheap enough. If they are getting a poor compo pick for Trengove then they might not care.

I wonder if a Motlop trade could be fashioned around they take Motlop, send Ah Chee (who I notice is still unsigned and who GC wanted last year) and maybe another player to GC and we get Ablett and a pick upgrade of some sort from one of the two clubs. Could be workable under the right circumstances.

For a deal to be done it has to be an unrestricted free agent or a player out of contract... seriously limits the options when you couple that with an interstate player.

If it was an interstate player and already done it could only be an FA like Rockliff on reasonable big money (because there is no way Brisbane will match if they are going to get pick 2 as compo).

I would call that about even, probably similar in terms of cap impact I would say the 2 in at their best are slightly better than the 2 out but it's close, I think the INs suit our gameplan better than the outs. So I would be content but I would still like to add another player (preferably a key forward) in the trade period.

There is no such FA compo band. Bands are:
Band 1 pick directly after your first rounder (would be pick 17 for us currently)
Band 2 end first rounder (pick 19 currently)
Band 3 pick directly after your 2nd rounder (35 currently or picks 35 and 36 if we got band 3 for both players)
Band 4 end of 2nd rounder (pick 36 currently)
Band 5 pick directly after your 3rd rounder (would be 53 currently)

It depends on how big their $ contracts are with the new club I would be likely expecting band 3 for both probably. It wouldn't surprise me if we petitioned the afl to try and have the 2 picks rolled into one to get 1 combined first rounder for both instead of 2 second rounders (as it would help with other trades). Technically this shouldn't happen under the rules but the AFL tend to manipulate FA rules when they want (see Frawley etc).

Smith will be a straight trade for the 2nd rounder we have from Carlton (pick 20) and I would expect we don't trade more than a pick in the 40-50 range (or an equivalent value fringe player) for Ablett.

I think we need to factor in a few things with Smith. Is he a forward or are we looking at him as a future mid? As a forward I'd like to see a few more goals. Mid wise we really haven't seen enough.

The other thing is cashola. If the $600k figure is right then I'd be pointing him elsewhere. For that money you could get a gun small forward or a solid mid. Motlop is rumored to be on that coin yet he's berated for underperforming. Can't help to think that Dev might cop a bit of the same..

I think initially Smith would be a small forward as that's our vacancy but long term he could certainly play on a wing (and may well do). The other point is you need to remember 600k now is really 450-500 under the old cap, with the cap rise you will see a lot of players get offered $ in this trade period that will sound like 'overs' but aren't so much when you drill down on it.

Just how do we get a pick in the 20-30 range? Some like Pure_Ownage may correct me ... but I believe the comp is either end of round or after your pick ... so and R2 comp for either player probably 35 , 36 or later..

EDIT... you are to quick for me

Can't understand we want Smith as he hasn't done enough to convince me as a potential top players. Shouldnt entertain an Ablett trade unless it can be done with a 4th round pick and 300k per year salary. We really don't need him if Gregson and Linc are back next year. Parsons has done well so far and he will only improve. JJ is also a potential star in the making. Menz has to stay. He will be better next year and he kicks goals. Players we should consider to trade are Motlop, Stanley and GHS.

Just how do we get a pick in the 20-30 range? Some like Pure_Ownage may correct me ... but I believe the comp is either end of round or after your pick ... so and R2 comp for either player probably 35 , 36 or later..

EDIT... you are to quick for me

Yeah you don't because most of the bands are tied to the pick after your original pick in that round and we don't have a pick in that range.

Sort of like how you feel after having mcDonalds... you knew you were hungry but then afterwards you wonder why the hell did you buy that stuff.

Pretty ordinary forward at less than a goal a game.. 600.. talk about indigestion.Still now where as bad as Collipie at their Freo buy in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back