Rumour GFC 2017 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists.

Who would you rather at the Cats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deluded mate.

Pick 33 on it's own is enough.

...you know it makes sense!

Whatever club he nominates, they will have the leverage.
Should it be us, and that is unclear currently, then it will be reasonable ( as we always tend to be) but the dreams of getting a top 10 pick are exactly that... dreams.

GO Catters

Is he eligible as a FS to us?

Eligible to us and north melb (f/s) and gc as an academy pick (plays for gc's reserves). He can choose any of the 3 clubs.

Obvious of more interest if he actually gave a hint of favouring us. Till he does id say he will be more likely to stay home and go with GC (like Cousins did)
You have to wonder about the state of the clubs however.
North - full rebuild.
GCS - full rebuild, new coach, new everything, and their 2 best players OOC soon and will be possibly the biggest contract offer from another club ( Lynch)
Geelong - era of sustained success that is continuing.

Parfitt, Parsons, Stewart, Bews, Buzza - all good examples of getting games in a highly successful and competitive team. So there is opportunity even for younger players to get games. Would be interesting to see how JK and KK view their careers currently and who has enjoyed it more.
From the outside, you'd think JK as playing footy is one thing, but playing footy that wins has to be so much better.

GO Catters

So Cooney has us trading Lang + Motlop to GC for GAJ (GC will pay a portion of GAJ's salary) and Stanley (Fills a need for doggies) + a 2nd rounder for Stringer.

I'm telling you if Gaz, Stringer and Smith get to Geelong then we will shed players for cap space more than draft picks

I still maintain that 3-4 of Thurlow, Lang, Menz, Motlop, GHS and Stanley will not be with us SHOULD all three come. Realistically we aren't getting a pick under 38 for any of those players whether traded or via AFL compo. Try not to look at the trades in isolation.

I'm telling you if Gaz, Stringer and Smith get to Geelong then we will shed players for cap space more than draft picks

I still maintain that 3-4 of Thurlow, Lang, Menz, Motlop, GHS and Stanley will not be with us SHOULD all three come. Realistically we aren't getting a pick under 38 for any of those players whether traded or via AFL compo. Try not to look at the trades in isolation.

Second round FA compo is pick 34/35.

The thought of danger and stringer rotating between the midfield and full-forward makes me physically ill...........:(

Would it help if we took Bontempelli off your hands as well - then you could just lose consciousness and nothing would hurt.

Would it help if we took Bontempelli off your hands as well - then you could just lose consciousness and nothing would hurt.

Pick 20 and rhys stanley seems to be the going rate for young all Australians at the moment, who why not sell high?!?!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My main bugbear after last year was our lack of high end talent that we had in our pervious era. We came from further down. Then and now we have managed to have few of Wells clever picks but back then we had several early single figure draft picks , this time it seemed the earliest we could get was in the teens ..and it was ultimately just short of what we needed. Either no FS or no painfully gained early picks , we just seemed to lack enough talent when it counted.

Dunno about that.

Our 2007 premiership team had 5 top-10 draft picks in it - Bartel (8), Corey (8), Mackie (7), Selwood (7) and Ottens (2).

Our current list already has 4 - Mackie (7), Selwood (7), Dangerfield (10) and Cockatoo (10), and you could probably include Hawkins as the fifth in that list because he would have clearly been a top 3 pick if he wasn't F/S. Note that the same can't be said for Scarlett or Ablett, who both became champions but it's generally agreed that neither would have gone top 10 in an open draft.

Of course not all high end talent comes from the early picks in the draft, as we have proven for more than a decade now. And not all early draft picks become great players.

If we trade Stanley we're a little light on ruck stocks. We'd need to find someone a bit more experience than the guy we drafted from the VFL as a backup wouldn't we.

Backup rucks are easy to get cheap. We can trade stanley and trade one in cheap or rookie list a mature state league guy.

Dunno about that.

Our 2007 premiership team had 5 top-10 draft picks in it - Bartel (8), Corey (8), Mackie (7), Selwood (7) and Ottens (2).

Our current list already has 4 - Mackie (7), Selwood (7), Dangerfield (10) and Cockatoo (10), and you could probably include Hawkins as the fifth in that list because he would have clearly been a top 3 pick if he wasn't F/S. Note that the same can't be said for Scarlett or Ablett, who both became champions but it's generally agreed that neither would have gone top 10 in an open draft.

Of course not all high end talent comes from the early picks in the draft, as we have proven for more than a decade now. And not all early draft picks become great players.
To me Its all about how talented the end result of that group was/is ..yes you can get talented players from anywhere in the draft but a reasonable indicator of talent is their draft position. By no means the be all and end all as it was as they were recognised as kids. Perhaps AA recognition is better once you are in the system... and we had a lot of talent in 07 compared to now.

One pleasing thing I feel this year is that bit by bit other players have played a bigger role. JSel being injured and playing a min game. last week yet it was one of our better finals for years.

You can imagine - Danger getting it from a centre clearance bombing it into Hawkins the ball coming off hands to Ablett who handballs to Stringer for a Goal #nowthatsthefulllPACKAGE
Ablett handballing to Stringer ...???? just took it a tad far I think... cant imagine that.

Last edited:
What about the ruck Melbourne just delisted if Stanley is traded?

Yes true. I am thinking of a few others that would be cheap trade backup or state league guys too.

I am not against keeping stanley but smith abbott blicavs and a cheap mature ruck is enough cover so if rhys wants to go it and it helps us get something useful (eg stringer) i have no issues with it.

Yes true. I am thinking of a few others that would be cheap trade backup or state league guys too.

I am not against keeping stanley but smith abbott blicavs and a cheap mature ruck is enough cover so if rhys wants to go it and it helps us get something useful (eg stringer) i have no issues with it.

If we go that way ..we have to be confident that they can play if required... if want to just add a kid and develop we could look a local like Berry etc ..but we do already have Abbott..and at his age he should be that player..or why have him on the list... Anyone coming in would know that it would require an injury for them to get past Smith..makes it a tougher sell.

If we go that way ..we have to be confident that they can play if required... if want to just add a kid and develop we could look a local like Berry etc ..but we do already have Abbott..and at his age he should be that player..or why have him on the list... Anyone coming in would know that it would require an injury for them to get past Smith..makes it a tougher sell.

I am fairly confident Abbott is ready to go and at 26 he should be.

I agree getting a really good ruck to sit behind smith is no go but getting an ok cheap depth one is doable i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back