Rumour GFC 2017 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists.

Who would you rather at the Cats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is a 5th year player not yet cemented in the best 22, he is certainly not untouchable for the right offer though i would rather keep him.
Fair enough but there are valid reasons he's not cemented in 22, kidney and acl slowed him down. Let's remember his last full year 2015 . Rising star had a block of games where he averaged 25 odd possies when Mack was out and ended up 17 odd across year. This year he did come good but was dropped unluckily for blicavs after a good block of 4 games. His overlap running and ball use would have been handy in finals . Macks replacement in waiting imo.

I felt the fact there was only speculation about him to us meant he was nominating us, but nothing would come out until we were finished.

And I reckon he was a shattered man when I saw him on that trade radio launch and he will go at this with a real point to prove.

He could be anything... but I am also biased as a massive Stringer fan
The guy was seriously rated by Wells during his draft year. And then to end up being called 'the package' be compared to Ablett Snr, be an all Australian (when Duncan hasn't been able to do it), he's no doubt a pretty special player.

So according to MICHAEL AUCIELLO we are paying the cost of success that cant be avoided..We have fallen into some sort of football purgatory.
I guess he thinks we are like a football zombie team ...dead but not really , we have tried to cheat football death , avoid paying the cost by grabbing players from other clubs... and to a certain degree I agree with him.
One thing is for sure the line...Geelong is too far down the path now to turn back. It has invested too heavily in luring players from other clubs to suddenly take a step back. ...is very true.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...t/news-story/8c45501d2f95528d6400f9281fa1287b

Geelong Cats show the AFL’s equalisation policy is hard to beat

MAYBE Geelong and Sydney are proving how solid the equalisation policy is.

That, no matter how hard you try, you can’t buck the system.

That it is impossible to have sustained success — premiership success — over more than a five- or six-year period.

Both clubs have done an incredible job staying not only competitive, but premiership contenders for more than a decade.

The Swans have missed the finals once in 15 years, including five grand finals for two premierships.

The Cats have missed the finals twice in 14 years, including four grand finals for three premierships.

It is staggering consistency in an equalised competition.

But their determination to stay in contention indefinitely might well be the reason they each find themselves in the positions they do today.

Both are excellent teams, capable of beating anyone at their best, and of putting together home-and-away seasons with enough wins to consistently have them around the mark of the top four.

But there is a yawning gap between their best and worst — Geelong probably even more so than Sydney — and it is that worst that is too often being put on display in the heat of finals football.

The Cats have turned in some truly woeful performances in September, particularly in the past couple of years when they had completed the transition from their premiership era and more should have been expected of them.

The Swans have also been disappointing, including in their semi-final loss to Geelong and most notably their 2014 grand final effort against Hawthorn, surely one of the most insipid grand final performances of the modern era.

Both teams have rebuilt their lists in different ways. But neither has been through the conventional way through of stockpiling players from the national draft.

From Sydney’s team that lost to Geelong in the semi-final, nine had come from its rookie list, three from other clubs and one out of its academy. That’s 13 of 22 players.

Seven of Geelong’s 22 from Friday night’s loss have come from other clubs.

Most of this has been because their success has not given them the draft picks you need to rebuild the traditional way.

They are constantly plugging holes to keep their ships forging on and, again, they really have done it quite brilliantly.

But it brings us to the old adage of champion teams versus teams of champions.

They are putting together teams of very good players, but they are not teams that have risen together, been through the hardship of rebuilding together and come out the other side with an instinct of how they all play, everyone on the same page.

Geelong is too far down the path now to turn back. It has invested too heavily in luring players from other clubs to suddenly take a step back.

None of this is to say that teams must “bottom out” after a premiership era and spend years in the cellar.

But maybe the cost of this refusal to accept that all good things must come to an end is a period in the football equivalent of purgatory — never bad enough to be fall completely off the cliff, but never good enough to scales the heights again.

It makes watching Hawthorn’s decision-making over the next few years all the more interesting.

It has already started down the path of not wanting to give in to the system.

But maybe Geelong and Sydney are proof that the Hawks are better served by being patient

Last edited:
It's never that simple. Other players are getting increased deals etc etc.

Barrett just confirmed we are struggling to get 600K for Stringer on top of Ablett even with 2 retirements and Mots and Menzel gone. If Smith is to come in on 500K we'd need to clear at least 650K because we need to trade 3 players out and replace them with Smith and 2 other min wage players. That to me would see the back of Lang, GHS and prob Thurlow.

Have they included Bartel? Supposedly he was included this year.

So according to MICHAEL AUCIELLO we are paying the cost of success that cant be avoided..We have fallen into some sort of football purgatory.
I guess he thinks we are like a football zombie team ...dead but not really , we have tried to cheat football death , avoid paying the cost by grabbing players from other clubs... but to certain degree I agree with him.
One thing is for sure the line...Geelong is too far down the path now to turn back. It has invested too heavily in luring players from other clubs to suddenly take a step back. ...is very true.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...t/news-story/8c45501d2f95528d6400f9281fa1287b

That it is impossible to have sustained success — premiership success — over more than a five- or six-year period.

Both clubs have done an incredible job staying not only competitive, but premiership contenders for more than a decade.

The Swans have missed the finals once in 15 years, including five grand finals for two premierships.

The Cats have missed the finals twice in 14 years, including four grand finals for three premierships.

But their determination to stay in contention indefinitely might well be the reason they each find themselves in the positions they do today.

Both are excellent teams, capable of beating anyone at their best, and of putting together home-and-away seasons with enough wins to consistently have them around the mark of the top four.

But there is a yawning gap between their best and worst — Geelong probably even more so than Sydney — and it is that worst that is too often being put on display in the heat of finals football.

The Cats have turned in some truly woeful performances in September, particularly in the past couple of years when they had completed the transition from their premiership era and more should have been expected of them.

The Swans have also been disappointing, including in their semi-final loss to Geelong and most notably their 2014 grand final effort against Hawthorn, surely one of the most insipid grand final performances of the modern era.

Both teams have rebuilt their lists in different ways. But neither has been through the conventional way through of stockpiling players from the national draft.

From Sydney’s team that lost to Geelong in the semi-final, nine had come from its rookie list, three from other clubs and one out of its academy. That’s 13 of 22 players.

Most of this has been because their success has not given them the draft picks you need to rebuild the traditional way.

They are constantly plugging holes to keep their ships forging on and, again, they really have done it quite brilliantly.

They are putting together teams of very good players, but they are not teams that have risen together, been through the hardship of rebuilding together and come out the other side with an instinct of how they all play, everyone on the same page.

Geelong is too far down the path now to turn back. It has invested too heavily in luring players from other clubs to suddenly take a step back.

None of this is to say that teams must “bottom out” after a premiership era and spend years in the cellar.

But maybe the cost of this refusal to accept that all good things must come to an end is a period in the football equivalent of purgatory — never bad enough to be fall completely off the cliff, but never good enough to scales the heights again.

It makes watching Hawthorn’s decision-making over the next few years all the more interesting.

But maybe Geelong and Sydney are proof that the Hawks are better served by being patient
Hawthorn were the team that invented topping up from other clubs.

Damian Barret says it will get messy btw the Dogs and Cats.

Main point is we can't afford 600K. We'll get it done but I guess that means no Dev Smith which is really disappointing

Hutchy blurted out Motlop met Port on the weekend

Bartel salary is included this year. That also gets off the books this year, along with the two retirees.

Hawkins and Selwood should also move over to partially have salary under veterans payments.

Delist

Interesting post
[SNIP]

Trade

Motlop (Compo Pick #24)
Menzel (Compo Pick #42)
Murdoch (Say a Pick #62)
Stanley see below
Lang see below

Gary Ablett Junior and a Future Second Round Pick (2018) to Geelong
Darcy Lang plus a Future Third Round Pick (2018) go to Gold Coast

Rhys Stanley, Pick #24 go to the Western Bulldogs
Geelong receives Jake Stringer, Future Fifth Round Pick (2018)
[SNIP]

I know I am a bit of a dreamer but I reckon there are a few list managers (who saw Murdoch in the 5 or 6 games leading up to the QF) who would jump at pick 62 for Murdoch. Even one or two who would offer better. He was very good.

I would hold him for that pick , unless we need the money or he is greasing a cog or two.

You're quite confident we'll get Smith?

At this stage yes nothing is certain til done as players cant sign til the trade period but we are happy to stump up the cash and he is happy to come.

Unless another club makes a last minute offer that is well over the odds in $ he will be coming.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess he thinks we are like a football zombie team ...dead but not really , we have tried to cheat football death , avoid paying the cost by grabbing players from other clubs... and to a certain degree I agree with him.

Its irrelevant michael, costa and cook are vehemently against equalisation forcing full rebuilds there wont be one by choice unless cook and the majority of the board go now which i doubt will happen. And i am not convinced rebuilds are the way to go anyway.

Barrett hasn't "confirmed" anything. He knows what he has been told, whether what he has been told is accurate is another matter. If ever anyone associated with the club was going to say that they're tight for cap space, it would be in the lead up to trying to land multiple high profile trades.

Still curious as to what you think Ablett is worth as a standalone pick.

Barrett is a moron who has misinformation mostly. I would ignore it.

Its somewhat annoying we don't have a zone to pickup the best local talent.

Go Cats!!!!!

Lucky we don't...
Joel Selwood would be a Blue.
Enright a Power.
The system is doing its job i reckon. We give NSW & QLD access to their own but at a price come draft time.
Cheers & Go Catters!!

I don't think this will ever happen, but what I would love to see ideally.

Bring in stringer & Ablett.

Pass on Devon smith. ($600k potential bidding war with a bit of a bung knee) no thanks

Prefer to try keep Motlop instead of smith, hopefully on around 500k a year.

FA - Menzel can walk if he doesn't take the 1 year contract.

Trade out - GHS, Murdoch/Lang & BLICAVS.

I feel that blitz would have some decent currency (especially with JPK fresh in ppl's minds).

To me he just doesn't really have an effective role in our team other than 2nd ruck pinch hitting and the occasional tagging role on a big bodied slow midfielder.

I think his lack of leg speed when playing in the midfield hurts us & he hesitates in the contest with the ball as well.
I can't see him making it as a key position player down back or fwd.

Therefore, we could have buzza/Stanley as our second ruck who can at least play another role, fitting better into our structures. Or as Richmond have done, just play one solo ruck & then have someone pinch hit for 5 minutes a qtr like Grigg does. Also feel this would help us cover the ground better on wider grounds like the G.

I have no idea but would imagine Blitz would be on 400-500k? So would free up some cash & hopefully help us acquire Stringer. Maybe not directly to the Bulldogs, could be a 3 way trade.

Line up would look something like -

Fb- bews Hendo Stewart
Hb - tuohy taylor kolo
C - Duncan scooter Guthrie
HF - Cockatoo Stringer Menegola
FF - Ablett Hawkins Motlop
R - Smith Danger Selwood

I/c - buzza/Stanley, thurlow, parfitt/McCarthy, ...

I would look at players who can replace scooter blicavs and menegola in the midfielders. Not winning anything until that happens. A shame we dont have the space for Rockliff.

Gregson and McCarthy are not the answer for our forward line. Neither are natural crumbers. Both try and have a good attitude but both lack talent and goal sense. I count one forward pocket on our entire list and thats not good enough. We need two more which we can find in the draft a youngster to develop and a mature 19-21 state league player such as milera from SA.

I would move menzel on. We cant afford to have another tall in the backline if he is playing. He is selfish and undisciplined drinking in adelaide after the game during the home and away season.

I would move stanley or abbott on. No point in having two middle aged rucks who offer very little

Hopefully keep motlop and no teams offer him a contract

I would look at players who can replace scooter blicavs and menegola in the midfielders. Not winning anything until that happens. A shame we dont have the space for Rockliff.

Scott Selwood is a big reason we went from a weak as piss team not laying tackles to one that actually laid tackles.

No way we should ditch a guy who gets 20 touches and 11 tackles a game.

Scott Selwood is a big reason we went from a weak as piss team not laying tackles to one that actually laid tackles.

No way we should ditch a guy who gets 20 touches and 11 tackles a game.
yeah scooters good midfield support, agree on the other two that they will never be premiership standard midfielders. would hold onto menegola as a depth player; i'd put blitz out on the market and see if anyone is keen to offer us anything. it wont happen while Scott is coach though.

Bartel salary is included this year. That also gets off the books this year, along with the two retirees.

Hawkins and Selwood should also move over to partially have salary under veterans payments.

Didn't veterans get scrapped this year?

Also does anyone know the dollar amount the cap has been raised by?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back