Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat Bs still need to be promoted in place of a long term injury. The club is backing O'Connor in to justify and deserve AFL selection, so don't want that restriction.

Yep. I am hoping MO'C is trialled as a tagger at VFL level then moves to AFL in that role.

So far his progress has been good but there is still no explosive AFL player in that body as far as I can see. But he does have nous, improving skills, a strong body and enough pace to cause some problems for a target player.

This may be a silly question - but across the league, have there been many delisted free agents who when picked up by a new team, have actually done something substantial at their new club or are they seen more as a top up option with a year or 2 before being delisted again?

It's an interesting question. My supposition was that there haven't been many great success stories. Ended up finding this article which provides some detail.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/09/20/top-8-delisted-free-agent-success-stories/
Delisted free agency has given 33 players second chances at AFL footy and quite a few have thrived in new colours.

Roughly five players per season get second chances, the most being eight in 2013...

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/09/20/top-8-delisted-free-agent-success-stories/

The article lists the eight 'success stories' (in reverse order) as Taylor Hunt, Jeremy Laidler, Ricky Henderson, Matthew Wright, Tim Membrey, Joel Hamling, Mitch Robinson and Dylan Roberton.

It is what it is, of course. Surely nobody would expect that vast numbers of wildly successful players would emerge from those who are deemed surplus to requirements at one club or another.

Still, I think it's an exaggeration to call all of these success stories. I would accept Wright, Membrey and Roberton. But the others appeared to be more a case of 'right place, right time' in terms of their number of senior games at their 'new' club. And then you have someone like Robinson, who reputedly got the bullet because of his detrimental contribution to culture rather than any strong sense that he wasn't a capable AFL player.

So, based on my own assessment, I've got DFA 'success' (i.e. showing capacity well beyond what many thought of the player when they were shown the door) running at 3 from 33. Or about 9%.

Seems about right for what is essentially a very speculative pursuit. In the end, most players who can't really make a mark at one club are fairly unlikely to suddenly start smashing it elsewhere simply due to operating in a different environment.

It's why I'm fairly comfortable for us to steer clear of this avenue again this year. Would easily prefer another mature state league player than to throw a lifeline to a player who hasn't proved worthy of a list spot elsewhere in the league.

Looks like we're taking 12, 50 and 51 to the draft and using pick 70 on Brownless

So you dont think we will trade into an earlier pick?

If we dont ... after taking said picks... whats the odd we look back in a couple of years and say ...gee what a bumper crop we have added ... ? Or are we more likely to be saying this player and this player were taken by other clubs ... and we got one good ordinary player ?

So you dont think we will trade into an earlier pick?

If we dont ... after taking said picks... whats the odd we look back in a couple of years and say ...gee what a bumper crop we have added ... ? Or are we more likely to be saying this player and this player were taken by other clubs ... and we got one good ordinary player ?

I think we will try. Just not sure what we'll try for?

The list of delisted free agents is nothing exciting and I can’t see much that would add much to our team. Would potentially look at Goddard to help with future key defensive area but would prefer a rookie spot.

Which Goddard? Not Mr Pretzel ...NO... please ... just stay on the path of adding at the young end of the list

It's an interesting question. My supposition was that there haven't been many great success stories. Ended up finding this article which provides some detail.

The article lists the eight 'success stories' (in reverse order) as Taylor Hunt, Jeremy Laidler, Ricky Henderson, Matthew Wright, Tim Membrey, Joel Hamling, Mitch Robinson and Dylan Roberton.

It is what it is, of course. Surely nobody would expect that vast numbers of wildly successful players would emerge from those who are deemed surplus to requirements at one club or another.

Still, I think it's an exaggeration to call all of these success stories. I would accept Wright, Membrey and Roberton. But the others appeared to be more a case of 'right place, right time' in terms of their number of senior games at their 'new' club. And then you have someone like Robinson, who reputedly got the bullet because of his detrimental contribution to culture rather than any strong sense that he wasn't a capable AFL player.

So, based on my own assessment, I've got DFA 'success' (i.e. showing capacity well beyond what many thought of the player when they were shown the door) running at 3 from 33. Or about 9%.

Seems about right for what is essentially a very speculative pursuit. In the end, most players who can't really make a mark at one club are fairly unlikely to suddenly start smashing it elsewhere simply due to operating in a different environment.

It's why I'm fairly comfortable for us to steer clear of this avenue again this year. Would easily prefer another mature state league player than to throw a lifeline to a player who hasn't proved worthy of a list spot elsewhere in the league.
Would Menegola be the best player currently playing to have previously been delisted? He'd be close if nothing else.

I think we will try. Just not sure what we'll try for?

I have said what I think we should do ... but now with spots available... can we add a R2 pick , have 5 picks and still use 50 and 51?

I think Wells is going to try to shoot the lights out again..with two in the 50's... which to my mind means guys who have slipped out of favour ... NK types ..or Butts etc.. or maybe even look at another mature that will get thru. Im not sure who that would be... maybe a player who has been winning medals at lower levels etc.. ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would Menegola be the best player currently playing to have previously been delisted? He'd be close if nothing else.

Great point, LG.

Not delisted once, but twice. And now very comfortably holding down a spot for a club with some serious midfield talent on the list.

Of course, his pathway to senior footy ends up being as 'another mature state leaguer', though.:cool:

I have said what I think we should do ... but now with spots available... can we add a R2 pick , have 5 picks and still use 50 and 51?

I think Wells is going to try to shoot the lights out again..with two in the 50's... which to my mind means guys who have slipped out of favour ... NK types ..or Butts etc.. or maybe even look at another mature that will get thru. Im not sure who that would be... maybe a player who has been winning medals at lower levels etc.. ?

There's always one that slides. Maybe he's hoping that happens? I reckon a bid for Brownless may come a little earlier (around 40) than people expect. I'm hoping we trade at the very least into the early 20's, hopefully higher.

Little Timmy didn't want to go to Freo because of the Hill's apparently.
What if West Coast draft Hill?
What if both WA club have Hill's?
Is it a Hill too far?
Apparently Ross the Boss told him to his face he would never make it as an AFL footballer. Not the hills.

Looks like we're taking 12, 50 and 51 to the draft and using pick 70 on Brownless
From what Wells is saying, I reckon he will give pick 50 and next years First to get another pick in the teens.
Personally, I would pick up Josh Smith as a delisted free agent and have him running off the half back flank. Telling Duncan he is back in the midfield with Kelly
So
Smith delisted free agent
12: Jordan Clark
12-18 Jye Caldwell
51 Bailey Williams
70 Oscar Brownless

This may be a silly question - but across the league, have there been many delisted free agents who when picked up by a new team, have actually done something substantial at their new club or are they seen more as a top up option with a year or 2 before being delisted again?
Very good question. Many of us share that query.

End Next year, no Taylor, no GAJ, no T. Kelly, maybe Duncan as a sweetener.. surely we would be able to look at J Kelly, who will be the #1 mid in the comp.

If

1. Walsh
2. Luko
3. Rankine
4. B King
5. M King
6. Smith
7. Rozee
8. Caldwell
9. Sturt
10. Clarke
11. Hately

Are all gone, would we

A. Trade 12, 50 and 51 to Lions for 18, 30 and 35

Or

B. Trade 12, 50 and 51 to dockers for 14, 31 and 43.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back