Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are most people here fixated on Smith. He has possibly one of then worst disposal efficiency rating in the comp. Added to this the risk of coming off an ACL. He is a red flag for me.
Im not thrilled by it honestly.

Id almost rather go to the draft again, take the RD 1 pick there see what we get.

If its "off field" projects we want.. keep Stengle and work on what we already have.

GO Catters

4 academy kids last year ... at least a couple this year ... and 3 picks in the first 20 ...that they might trade into next year as well. Gold Coast are on the verge of a talent over load

View attachment 1974479
it really is at a tipping point.

The academy leg up is just insane.

A FS pick takes a generation to develop. The academys take 50+ kids and stream them from the age of 14... per year... and no one else has access to the talent.

Its just a parade now of Rd 1 picks flowing in. I get they need help but the AFL hand on the scale is to insane levels.

Thank **** we are not WC, Hawks, North, St Kilda, Crows, trying to rebuild. The concessions will keep them down and add in Tassie in a few years... look out below.

Makes what we are doing before out very eyes even more remarkable.

GO Catters

Why are most people here fixated on Smith. He has possibly one of the worst disposal efficiency ratings in the comp. Added to this the risk of coming off an ACL. He is a red flag for me.

He’s also a rolled gold flog who has an over inflated opinion of himself.

When we were coming out of covid and were still mandated to wear masks everywhere, I had to go shopping at Chadstone and while everyone there was wearing theirs, 2 people refused. Bailey Smith & his girlfriend. Arrogant dick who deserved to be smacked into line.

I have a feeling it might be a bridge too far to reign his out of control ego in.

He’s also a rolled gold flog who has an over inflated opinion of himself.

When we were coming out of covid and were still mandated to wear masks everywhere, I had to go shopping at Chadstone and while everyone there was wearing theirs, 2 people refused. Bailey Smith & his girlfriend. Arrogant dick who deserved to be smacked into line.

I have a feeling it might be a bridge too far to reign his out of control ego in.
Kinda makes me like him all of a sudden.

Bookmark this

We bid on a GC and they don’t match

On them not matching a bid ... not sure who you have in mind

They have Leonardo Lombard and Lachlan Gulbin . according to the linked article. I think the standout kid is Lombard..who played in their VFL flag .. and i cant see them not matching.

My guess is they assess where they think Lombard will go and if its early R1 then they trade out and into next year. Id not put it past them trading in someone from Richmond.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not thrilled by it honestly.

Id almost rather go to the draft again, take the RD 1 pick there see what we get.

If its "off field" projects we want.. keep Stengle and work on what we already have.

GO Catters

This is my gold plated preference but I suspect the club will see us sitting on top of the ladder ...with a wilting Danger ..and see more value in getting a Play now type than another kid they have to groom for two years.

it really is at a tipping point.

The academy leg up is just insane.

A FS pick takes a generation to develop. The academys take 50+ kids and stream them from the age of 14... per year... and no one else has access to the talent.

Its just a parade now of Rd 1 picks flowing in. I get they need help but the AFL hand on the scale is to insane levels.

Thank * we are not WC, Hawks, North, St Kilda, Crows, trying to rebuild. The concessions will keep them down and add in Tassie in a few years... look out below.

Makes what we are doing before out very eyes even more remarkable.

GO Catters

There constant flood of early picks also the same reason why they can't build a successful core. Every year they have too many shiny new toys

A lack of team success can obscure how good some players are.

In some ways the draft system really punishes the most talented kids. Darling and Curnow had the right idea

Darling and Curnow?

I see Luk is sort of a version of of Watts and Rohan ... Probably their quality is hidden and has been hidden by the team they have played in.. but Im not convinced he is a number 1 KPF . You see it differently?

A lack of team success can obscure how good some players are.

In some ways the draft system really punishes the most talented kids. Darling and Curnow had the right idea

I don't rate him that highly but if our management went after him i'd trust them over anything i think/say.

There constant flood of early picks also the same reason why they can't build a successful core. Every year they have too many shiny new toys
That's how Bowes got pushed out. Talent was always there, they just shoved him aside so they could bring in the newer midfielders they drafted by playing him as a rebounding halfback and then shoving him in the reserves when he didn't meet their ever changing coaches list requirements.

Poor guy is a QLDer and didn't even want to leave and they forced him out...

Not to mention, people forget Bowes went top 10, Danger was his mentor during the under 18 championships which paid off massively down the track.
You don't go top 10 unless there's some talent there, sometimes it just takes a good club who know how to develop players to unlock it. Jack and Danger's connection helped us nab him and we got Clark out of it too.

Darling and Curnow?

I see Luk is sort of a version of of Watts and Rohan ... Probably their quality is hidden and has been hidden by the team they have played in.. but Im not convinced he is a number 1 KPF . You see it differently?

Getting up to no good in their draft year and sliding as a result.

People forget that he is hasn't even turned 24 years old. The GC have never played him as a #1 keyforward. He has a had a strong year at both a rebounding KPD and as a KPF. He is crazy skilled and athletic with a footy brain and he is bigger then people think. I'd rather him then King. GC move him around as they have plenty of 1 dimension early draft pick KPFs

If we want LDU let’s do it as a free agent
There’s no way in the world North match any offer
They will be bottom 3 again next season so a top 3 compo pick for them and we may have to over pay a little but at no draft capital loss

Pretty sure the discussion is about him as a FA option. I cant see anyone getting near FA comp as a trade so he is there for 2025

Getting up to no good in their draft year and sliding as a result.

People forget that he is hasn't even turned 24 years old. The GC have never played him as a #1 keyforward. He has a had a strong year at both a rebounding KPD and as a KPF. He is crazy skilled and athletic with a footy brain and he is bigger then people think. I'd rather him then King. GC move him around as they have plenty of 1 dimension early draft pick KPFs

He is 195cm but he never impresses me that he is a KPP player . I cant remember him taking a 1o1 mark. He plays a bit like a flanker. Maybe that changes if you give him the keys.

I cant see them giving him a go at GC..not now that they have Walter.

That's how Bowes got pushed out. Talent was always there, they just shoved him aside so they could bring in the newer midfielders they drafted by playing him as a rebounding halfback and then shoving him in the reserves when he didn't meet their ever changing coaches list requirements.

Poor guy is a QLDer and didn't even want to leave and they forced him out...

Not to mention, people forget Bowes went top 10, Danger was his mentor during the under 18 championships which paid off massively down the track.
You don't go top 10 unless there's some talent there, sometimes it just takes a good club who know how to develop players to unlock it. Jack and Danger's connection helped us nab him and we got Clark out of it too.

The problem with many failed top 10 picks, is that clubs put big contracts in them. We got the benefit of being paid to take him. Had he done nothing we're still ahead. We have the luxury of giving him 65% game time and being happy with him averaging 16 disposals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back