Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

He is 195cm but he never impresses me that he is a KPP player . I cant remember him taking a 1o1 mark. He plays a bit like a flanker. Maybe that changes if you give him the keys.

I cant see them giving him a go at GC..not now that they have Walter.

Which to me is madness, just resetting the clock on when they want to compete

This is my gold plated preference but I suspect the club will see us sitting on top of the ladder ...with a wilting Danger ..and see more value in getting a Play now type than another kid they have to groom for two years.
I feel like "plug and play" players can be misleading, looking at Bowes and Bruhn, both needed a year to acclimatise to our group and play genuinely good footy on a more consistent level. Add in the limited amount of free agents/trade targets who can A. Improve us as a team and also more importantly B. Fit into the culture and lifestyle of Geelong, you get a much smaller selection.
For every Isaac Smith you get a Shaun Higgins, who I rated as a player before but never seemed to really perform at Geelong.

I do agree with you, it would be my preferred kinda trade to get someone ready to go right in rather than a draftee but I feel like sometimes we on the board tend to create those kind of players in our head or at least hope that a player like LDU is going to be exactly what we're looking for in terms of all the above.

I think North should ensure they get P1 and P2 this year and next ... Im guessing someone will chuck sack load at Zurharh.

Then do they add more kids... or do they trade out some picks to get senior players.
I don't know I'd be comfortable with a big contract for Zuurhar and I don't know other clubs would either

I feel like "plug and play" players can be misleading, looking at Bowes and Bruhn, both needed a year to acclimatise to our group and play genuinely good footy on a more consistent level. Add in the limited amount of free agents/trade targets who can A. Improve us as a team and also more importantly B. Fit into the culture and lifestyle of Geelong, you get a much smaller selection.
For every Isaac Smith you get a Shaun Higgins, who I rated as a player before but never seemed to really perform at Geelong.

I do agree with you, it would be my preferred kinda trade to get someone ready to go right in rather than a draftee but I feel like sometimes we on the board tend to create those kind of players in our head or at least hope that a player like LDU is going to be exactly what we're looking for in terms of all the above.

Id be happy enough to just go to draft but I suspect our form now will see us being even more keen to add to the top of our list rather than talent than needs development.

I dont think they added Bowes and Bruhn as immediate improvements to our best 22...Maybe Bowes..but he was not getting a game. They are obviously more ready than a kid in draft. Till injuires hit I think they saw Bruhn as someone who would work into the side.

Where as someone like Daneger and Jez are obvious... perhaps senior players like 2e is a godo example. A 100 games , mature and ready to go with only a slight adjustment due to coaching.

The right players are the ones you have, imagine what Scott would have them doing
What did he say 80%. Still that means 20% to move on and replace. I think every coach moves on players after making a judgement on them. I wonder how many players we had on our list when Thompson walked thru the door that were still there in 07? Probably a little different as he built a group. My bet is Luk ends up elsewhere and is probably replaced by guys less talented but tackle like crazy men and can run like the wind.

Higgins was just physically not the same player at Geelong as he was at North. Too many injuries and his body was failing him. He needed to come over 2 years earlier and we would have loved what we got.

Smith on the other hand held his elite running ability until (almost) the very end which allowed him to keep his performance at a high level at an advanced age.

I don't know I'd be comfortable with a big contract for Zuurhar and I don't know other clubs would either
Zurhar would be amazing for Geelong. He would create absolute havoc running around our forward line with the occasional run on the ball.

This is gonna sound crazy, but I see him having a similar approach to the footy as danger, but just flipped in the usage. Ie. danger is a wrecking ball mid who can be very handy pinch hitting forward for 10 mins, zurhar is a wrecking ball forward who can be a very handy pinch hitting clearance mid.

I would love him at Geelong and would definitely pay up for him.

Zurhar would be amazing for Geelong. He would create absolute havoc running around our forward line with the occasional run on the ball.

This is gonna sound crazy, but I see him having a similar approach to the footy as danger, but just flipped in the usage. Ie. danger is a wrecking ball mid who can be very handy pinch hitting forward for 10 mins, zurhar is a wrecking ball forward who can be a very handy pinch hitting clearance mid.

I agree. He will be a difference maker in a good team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's De Goey from Aldi for mine, always has been, even down to the shit tatts.

Would consider him as FA for nothing but salary, but he's not going to be the difference maker in the middle we need.

Workrate and professionalism has been questioned heavily over on the Norf board, so much so that a lot of them want him gone.

With that being said, we're one of the only clubs in the land who have a shot at turning that around.

Just another good player, and I suppose you can never have enough of those.

He's De Goey from Aldi for mine, always has been, even down to the s**t tatts.

Would consider him as FA for nothing but salary, but he's not going to be the difference maker in the middle we need.

Workrate and professionalism has been questioned heavily over on the Norf board, so much so that a lot of them want him gone.

With that being said, we're one of the only clubs in the land who have a shot at turning that around.

He is every bit as good as Degoey, he just doesn’t have the Collingwood media machine behind him pumping up his tyres.

A player like him is absolutely on a hiding to nothing playing in a crap team like north. If he is a competitive person (and I bet he is ultra-competitive) there is no wonder that his attitude in that environment would be questionable. He probably sits around all day pining for a high performance environment that would allow him to shine.

Think Stevie j playing for Carlton or Melbourne in his early prime. He would have been a basket case.

He is every bit as good as Degoey, he just doesn’t have the Collingwood media machine behind him pumping up his tyres.

A player like him is absolutely on a hiding to nothing playing in a crap team like north. If he is a competitive person (and I bet he is ultra-competitive) there is no wonder that his attitude in that environment would be questionable. He probably sits around all day pining for a high performance environment that would allow him to shine.

Think Stevie j playing for Carlton or Melbourne in his early prime. He would have been a basket case.

I just don't see where he fits in our forward line

Higgins was just physically not the same player at Geelong as he was at North. Too many injuries and his body was failing him. He needed to come over 2 years earlier and we would have loved what we got.

Smith on the other hand held his elite running ability until (almost) the very end which allowed him to keep his performance at a high level at an advanced age.

Higgins like a few before him was cooked by the time he came to Geelong. He left moving a bit too late. If we went for Smith ..he is not even at the age of a FA yet. One would hope the knee etc might have seasoned him to be a little more mature by now (we can only hope) We do value running and he has that. Consider Danger has never been Mitch Duncan like with his kicking , one can still get enormous gain even with ordinary disposal.

Id say its only a matter of where he wants to go.

I can understand that. I would compare him to a Stringer type and we did look at him. Looking at package of his highlights from previous years ...my only question is can he play in the middle more than he has.

Last edited:
I just don't see where he fits in our forward line
He is the one thing our forward line doesn’t have - a very physical mid sized forward who creates a bit of fear around him. As a bonus he is also very skillful and can take an overhead mark.

He would be the perfect complement to Cameron, Hawk/neale and ollie Henry with the Stengle/close combo around him.

I reckon he would be in AA contention in our forward line.

He's De Goey from Aldi for mine, always has been, even down to the s**t tatts.

LOL

Ill say this. The ability he has shown is desirable. The rest I do agree with ..but it would either be a shock to his system and he knuckles down ..or he would find that the golden ticket of selection is no longer in existence.

The other thing is when you list to someone like 2e... he makes it clear that he has loved his time at Geelong because he was ready for that sort of setup. I have no idea on his family life but some players are metro personalities.

Higgins like a few before him was cooked by the time he came to Geelong. He left moving a bit too late. If we went for Smith ..he is not even at the age of a FA yet. One would hope the knee etc might have seasoned him to be a little more mature by now (we can only hope) We do value running and he has that. Consider Danger has never been Mitch Duncan like with his kicking , one can still get enormous gain even with ordinary disposal.

Id say its only a matter of where he wants to go.
Smith just has way too many red flags.

Significant injury risk, documented mental health issues and some off field issues. Plus he is a very poor ball user.

He can be someone else’s problem, I will back us to develop our own mids or recruit a safer mid at a lower price.

Zurhar is way better than stringer is and was.

Id say they are similar types. Their stats seem similar to me .

Same type of raw player that seem to do nothing for a while then can win a game quickly.

Add him if he was able to play some mid time then Id think as FA we would enquire. (Not sure on the dollars he would expect)

Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 8.53.35 PM.png

Smith just has way too many red flags.

Significant injury risk, documented mental health issues and some off field issues. Plus he is a very poor ball user.

He can be someone else’s problem, I will back us to develop our own mids or recruit a safer mid at a lower price.

I guess we will see. My preference would be to add thru draft or find another bargain like Bruhn etc. What Id prefer and what the club does has no relationship...and I suspect the club will look at instant impact...especially if they feel Danger is just about cooked as a regular mid.

Id say they are similar types. Their stats seem similar to me .

Same type of raw player that seem to do nothing for a while then can win a game quickly.

Add him if he was able to play some mid time then Id think as FA we would enquire. (Not sure on the dollars he would expect)

View attachment 1974744
Their output is similar, but the difference is that stringer was playing in some good-to-very good bulldogs sides and some ok Essendon sides. Zurhar has been toiling away in some diabolical north sides. If stringer played in the north sides that zurhar has played in he would be lucky to get a kick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back