Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think we're all over analysing it.

He did one interview where he said he was struggling in his first year with the pressure. It's a non-event
It hasn’t been an isolated interview. He has spoken about it a few times. And the insinuation was that his drug issue was linked to self-medication.

Red flags

We may by then.

I think its pretty unlikely.

My prediction is reid will cost multiple top 10 picks and other clubs will be better placed to meet the price than us unless we suddenly start finishing down the ladder.

I think its pretty unlikely.

My prediction is reid will cost multiple top 10 picks and other clubs will be better placed to meet the price than us unless we suddenly start finishing down the ladder.

I can easily see us being bottom 4 next year. In fact I think it’s likely.

I can easily see us being bottom 4 next year. In fact I think it’s likely.

Then you rate the quality of the rest of the league more than me.
I dont think we will be contending the next few years but i think we will be in that 7th-12th bracket as the bottom few teams are awful.

What are people’s thoughts on our first two picks and in draft trade a few months later? Obviously there were a couple of other key position players who went a bit earlier we missed out on and we sat just outside the best group of players but we still had some good picks.

I loved the pickup of Mannagh and he’s looked like he could and should be playing afl every week. I don’t know why he’s not being picked.

Lawson looks like he’ll be a superstar either as a half back or eventually as a mid or wing.

Stevens is hard to tell atm but he looks to be heading in the right direction in his development.

Wiltshire we haven’t seen so can’t comment much but got a long way to make it from where he’s at.

Edwards and O’Sullivan are where I’m interested though as they came from the trade we made with Essendon.
Seemed like a good deal at the time as obviously Geelong weren’t keen on Caddy and got us an extra pick to use on Edwards. It’s very early I know and all 3 are key position players so will take some time to show where they’re at.
With the big drop off from Hawkins this year and Neale not making the most of his chances would we’ve been better off taking Caddy?
Edwards unfortunately has spent most of the season injured so hard to comment on him. His impact at afl level if he gets there is a long way off you’d think.
But I’d have hoped for a bit more from O’Sullivan, certainly not saying he won’t make it or whatever but as a comparison to Caddy it’ll be interesting to see if we pulled the right lever or not. In the vfl games I’ve seen O’Sullivan looks a long way off it, he gets pushed off the ball easily and is often really off the pace down back.

Maybe Caddy is to similar to Henry and certainly different to a Hawkins replacement player but it was an opportunity to find a key forward that we didn’t take.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are people’s thoughts on our first two picks and in draft trade a few months later? Obviously there were a couple of other key position players who went a bit earlier we missed out on and we sat just outside the best group of players but we still had some good picks.

I loved the pickup of Mannagh and he’s looked like he could and should be playing afl every week. I don’t know why he’s not being picked.

Lawson looks like he’ll be a superstar either as a half back or eventually as a mid or wing.

Stevens is hard to tell atm but he looks to be heading in the right direction in his development.

Wiltshire we haven’t seen so can’t comment much but got a long way to make it from where he’s at.

Edwards and O’Sullivan are where I’m interested though as they came from the trade we made with Essendon.
Seemed like a good deal at the time as obviously Geelong weren’t keen on Caddy and got us an extra pick to use on Edwards. It’s very early I know and all 3 are key position players so will take some time to show where they’re at.
With the big drop off from Hawkins this year and Neale not making the most of his chances would we’ve been better off taking Caddy?
Edwards unfortunately has spent most of the season injured so hard to comment on him. His impact at afl level if he gets there is a long way off you’d think.
But I’d have hoped for a bit more from O’Sullivan, certainly not saying he won’t make it or whatever but as a comparison to Caddy it’ll be interesting to see if we pulled the right lever or not. In the vfl games I’ve seen O’Sullivan looks a long way off it, he gets pushed off the ball easily and is often really off the pace down back.

Maybe Caddy is to similar to Henry and certainly different to a Hawkins replacement player but it was an opportunity to find a key forward that we didn’t take.

FYI the extra pick from the caddy trade was mannagh, which is one of about 100 reasons its baffling we arent playing him.
The edwards pick we got for sav.

On caddy i think hes a good player but we needed a taller kpf to replace hawkins (and possibly a second ruck option which is what neale and edwards could give) so i can understand why we didnt want another 3rd tall at henrys height.
To me the real debate is not whether we should have taken caddy but whether we should have taken the wce deal (they offered their future 1st as part of a swap for caddy which would have left us no COS but would have been an extra top 10 pick this year). You really cant judge that for 2-3 years.

On the draft we need big inside mids, we need a small defender, possibly a project kpf but theres not a lot for that in this draft. We need to trade in a mature ruck on the cheap.

I think we were right not to take caddy. He could turn into Jack Riewoldt in time but in the first few years he'll be a 3rd tall. You can't play him and Ollie Henry in the same forward line and we did need to start working on another quality kpd

people need to consider the scenario
the leagues bitches who trade for free agents dig their own graves
had we not traded for Danger, ala Rich-Lynch Hawk-Frawley etc, we currently would have Carlie Curnow
had we not traded for Cameron given the gws could not afford afternoon tea, but the afl believed they could match, the we would have had
- ollie henry and holmes without needing to trade
and then had brown (rich) and a darcy jones type

sliding doors
cant just cough up each time, you need free kicks when you get them

clarke is nailing it at freo, maybe there is a reason why geelong succeeded when he ceased being a coach

people need to consider the scenario
the leagues bitches who trade for free agents dig their own graves
had we not traded for Danger, ala Rich-Lynch Hawk-Frawley etc, we currently would have Carlie Curnow
had we not traded for Cameron given the gws could not afford afternoon tea, but the afl believed they could match, the we would have had
- ollie henry and holmes without needing to trade
and then had brown (rich) and a darcy jones type

sliding doors
cant just cough up each time, you need free kicks when you get them

clarke is nailing it at freo, maybe there is a reason why geelong succeeded when he ceased being a coach
There is a fair time gap between Clark getting traded and him coming good.

Also, would you call Jack Bowes and Jhye Clark for pick 50-whatever a free hit?

Equally likely we pick up some spud instead of Darcy Jones in a rerun of history.

And we certainly aren't the 2022 premiers

FYI the extra pick from the caddy trade was mannagh, which is one of about 100 reasons its baffling we arent playing him.

On caddy i think hes a good player but we needed a taller kpf to replace hawkins (and possibly a second ruck option which is what neale and edwards could give) so i can understand why we didnt want another 3rd tall at henrys height.
To me the real debate is not whether we should have taken caddy but whether we should have taken the wce deal (they offered their future 1st as part of a swap for caddy which would have left us no COS but would have been an extra top 10 pick this year). You really cant judge that for 2-3 years.

On the draft we need big inside mids, we need a small defender, possibly a project kpf but theres not a lot for that in this draft. We need to trade in a mature ruck on the cheap.
Basically we need Sam Lalor, and if we keep going the way we're going, we'll get him.

He could slide on the draft year injury but I think he might already be back from it?
Pretty sure he's back.

Expect him to go 7-10 personally, but could see him jumping up as clubs fall in love with players of his type.

Both Humphrey & Flanders in years gone by were linked to us and seen as likely to be there, but as the draft edged closer they shot up the board and out of our range.

Whether you're actually getting a Heeney, Martin, or Petracca is almost irrelevant...you're paying for the potential that they're going to be that player, so I could see Lalor ending up in the top 5 as a result.

Seems to happen every year, Rayner went pick 1 over the better junior in LDU almost entirely based on that.

Did the Eagles offer that at the same time as the Bombers deal? I thought the Eagles were keen pre draft but they wanted Curtain so when he was gone didn’t think they’d offer a FF. Surely there must’ve been something else going to the Eagles cause at that stage that pick could’ve easily been pick 1 and it’ll end up a top 3 pick.

I was sure it was Edwards but either way we may have taken Mannagh with that pick anyway as we were obviously very keen on him.

We’ve already got Edwards, Neale and Foster as project KPFs. If we can find a way to get a top end one then yes but otherwise we might just be looking for someone to be a target cause we’ve got plenty of other forward options.
There’s plenty of our veterans that are struggling this year but I wouldn’t be putting Rohan in there. He has had limited time on the ground this season but has impacted and had a crack each time which you can’t say for many others. He should play again next year and he’ll help post Hawkins.

Yes we need those other types you mention, need a ruck desperately.
I think Atkins and Guthrie need to play back due to our lack of small defenders and their issues in the middle.
Lawson should be in there regularly next year. We’ve really lacked accountability and hardness down back this year.

Willis, Clohesy and Stevens are all harder edged mids that might develop and I’d have Parfitt in the team atm but they’re not picking him and hard to see him there next year.

Stengle compo for Bailey Smith, keep our own first round pick and take Sam Lalor.

Midfield sorted long term with:

Conway, Smith, Lalor, Holmes, Bruhn, Clark, Knevitt, & Dempsey.

Do we say no, CatToTheFuture?

Why do we seem to have this obsession with a midfielders size??

Last i checked lachie neale goes ok at 177cm.. Dion prestia tore us apart at 175cm in finals, will ashcroft goes ok at 182... That matt rowell kid also looks pretty decent at 180cm... Errol gulden looks somewhat ok at 175cm...

So why so much obsessive bashing of clark at 181cm saying he is “too small” ??? He will be an inside gun in 3 years

Last edited:
Why do we seem to have this obsession with a midfielders size??

Last i checked lachie neale goes ok at 177cm.. Dion prestia tore us apart at 175cm in finals, will ashcroft goes ok at 182... That matt rowell kid also looks pretty decent at 180cm...

So why so much obsessive bashing of clark at 181cm saying he is “too small” ??? He will be an inside gun in 3 years

Everyone knows 181cm is too small to be a gun mid. Ablett was very lucky he got to 182cm or he would've ended up a spud too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back