Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Smith would be a fantastic pick up, especially for 1 mid R1 pick. If Stengle goes then use that compo for Smith (or if he stays, trade our R1).

The reward:
1. Let’s not forget, smith was one of the best up and coming young stars of the competition before played out of position and ACL. Same bracket as other young stars Walsh, Rozee and Butters. There is no reason he doesn’t continue on this trajectory and become a consistent top 10 mid in the AFL.

2. Smith plays different to our other young mids (maybe except Holmes) in that he’d fit in perfectly as a point of difference with Clark and Bruhn who are more stoppage grunt types. Smith is a run and carry player with power and elite endurance getting from contest to contest. He keeps going up and down the arcs at pace when others stop. He has better class / finishing ability than our mids and is in fact a goal kicking mid. Right now only danger kicks goals as a mid and is a weakness.

3. Flexibility to play holmes more off the HBF

4. He is young and perfect age for our mid group. We will have ourselves a great young mid core for the next 5-8 years of:

Smith - the star A+
Holmes - the explosive speed A
Clark - B+ blue collar never give up soldier
Bruhn - B+ bash crash inside

Add one more through the draft / trade, and the middle of the ground is set for 7 years.

The risk:
Yes he did an ACL but we see know players coming back from these a little better than they used to. This is a risk, but hence the cost. If he was fit he’d be worth 2x R1s with one being in the top 10. His mental health is a non issue for me. You’d be surprised how many players carry something similar and get on with it. If his knee is ticked off by the medical staff, then green light for me.

Summary:
This is a trade I think that’ll set us up very well with clubs/fans yet again pissed off we pulled off another steal. I think Smith will thrive at Geelong with the way we go about it. It makes sense for everyone

Also - would only go Oliver if dees paid 25% of the salary and it was for a R2. That carries far greater risk.

look like we going to have a lot of money to spend given we only have cameron and holmes on big wack, dangerfield possibly signing for less for the one year, hawkins, duncan, blizcavs looking to go.

if these oliver rumors have legs, thoughts on taking the full boat of oliver deal for one second rounder?

I'd want Dees first rounder and that's as a starting point. $1 Million over 6 years is a lot if it doesn't work out for us. It gives us less to get other deals done, eg a KPF should be our next target after we hopefully sort the midfield.

I'd rather them pay a significant amount of his salary and we pick him up for a bag of chips like they did with Grundy when they got him from Pies.

I'd want Dees first rounder and that's as a starting point. $1 Million over 6 years is a lot if it doesn't work out for us. It gives us less to get other deals done, eg a KPF should be our next target after we hopefully sort the midfield.

I'd rather them pay a significant amount of his salary and we pick him up for a bag of chips like they did with Grundy when they got him from Pies.

No way is their first rounder enough for us to take on the 6x $1.2m contract.

At no cost to us you might consider the risk for 6x $500k which would put him about on the average AFL wage but the 6 years is a big risk. Maybe if they throw in their first that could become 6x $750k but even that's a stretch. No way we do 6x $1.2m.

And it's the midfield mix. Going into 2022 Grand Final I was confident because Sydney's midfield was just too small compared to Geelong's. Clark could make it but he needs bigger bodies around him, Bruhn and Atkins also being smallish doesn't help. It's not just height, it's body size, Ablett was short but still a big presence. Clark looks small everywhere.

I don't know if he will be good enough but I'm really hoping Big George will be just from the fact he can hold space in the centre. Our VFL team were dominated in the middle yesterday because it was too small, Port brought in their big forwards to capitalise on pushing them around. Even though he didn't dominate our midfield worked better when Big George was in their just to hold space for the others to work.
So jusr for clarity..

If we had a midfield of lachie neale, errol gulden, and matt rowell.. You would say its too small and in trouble of getting bashed up??

At no cost to us you might consider the risk for 6x $500k which would put him about on the average AFL wage but the 6 years is a big risk. Maybe if they throw in their first that could become 6x $750k but even that's a stretch. No way we do 6x $1.2m.

Agree, that's why I said as a starting point.

I'd much prefer they pay a large part of his contract, and we at most give them a 3rd rounder or something. I don't like the scenario of taking on his full contract really at all.

From a Dees POV there's nothing in that from them though.

Unless Oliver is such a pain in the arse that they'd let him go by sabotaging themselves, in which case we should be steering well clear.

They won't let him go for a token pick just to free up 500k of cap space p/a. That's the equivalent of one ordinary footballer in today's game with the new CBA.

We're only getting him for a token pick if we pay the majority of the contract, and if we pay all of it, there's a chance we get a sweetener ourselves.

There's three options:

1) We pay all of it, and likely get a first round pick for our troubles (ala the Bowes deal)

2) The Dees pay all of it, but we have to pay them back with some decent draft collateral. There's nothing in it for them otherwise.

3) We pay the large majority of it (like 950+) and we get him for a second or a third.

So jusr for clarity..

If we had a midfield of lachie neale, errol gulden, and matt rowell.. You would say its too small and in trouble of getting bashed up??
That's not exactly what I said but yes, I would say that's a potential weakness of that midfield line up. I'm not saying any of those players are no good, and that midfield would beat most, but a better midfield mix would have one bigger body amongst them (Noting whilst short, Rowell is quite a big body).
Neale, Gulden and Rowell would be a great midfield and smash ours.
I would take a Neale, Gulden, Rowell midfield everyday of the week, but above that, I would take a Neale, Gulden and say Cripps midfield over it.
Clark may make it but he will be better suited with some bigger bodies around him.

Read an article today about Rowan Marshall might be looking at leaving come seasons end despite being contracted until 2027

Only thing that gives me no confidence is the article was on zero hanger
Which I find to be the most inaccurate news breaking/journalism going around

Unless Oliver is such a pain in the arse that they'd let him go by sabotaging themselves, in which case we should be steering well clear.

They won't let him go for a token pick just to free up 500k of cap space p/a. That's the equivalent of one ordinary footballer in today's game with the new CBA.

We're only getting him for a token pick if we pay the majority of the contract, and if we pay all of it, there's a chance we get a sweetener ourselves.

There's three options:

1) We pay all of it, and likely get a first round pick for our troubles (ala the Bowes deal)

2) The Dees pay all of it, but we have to pay them back with some decent draft collateral. There's nothing in it for them otherwise.

3) We pay the large majority of it (like 950+) and we get him for a second or a third.
I wouldn't say nothing. They would look at their contract with Oliver and see the same risk but maybe worse in that they can't use a change of scenery to change his mindset.

So jusr for clarity..

That sounds realistic, choose the absolute best smaller mids in the comp and make that your benchmark.

How about if we had a midfield of Caleb Daniel, Zac fisher and jade gresham. Would you say that midfield is too small?

View attachment 2029118

Never seen us linked to Battle and nor do I think he would even consider coming to Geelong.
I worked on a site with Battles father when he was drafted and he’s as much of a hawks nut as you can get and that runs in the family.
Think they mixed the titles on their list for Hawks

There's three options:

The problem is we're taking all the risk. The Dees get to undo he bad contract somewhat.

For all we know, he's best years are behind him.

With CBA it's rumored he'll be on $1.2 mill. That's a lot for a club to take on even for Dees first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Read an article today about Rowan Marshall might be looking at leaving come seasons end despite being contracted until 2027

Only thing that gives me no confidence is the article was on zero hanger
Which I find to be the most inaccurate news breaking/journalism going around

It was mentioned on Sen as well. They mentioned Rowan wasn't settled at Saints and might move for the right offer.

I don’t get the anger and hate from your post.
He has 3 years on his current deal, he’s worth it aslong as the deal is under a mill a year

theres no anger at all, maybe the mason wood talk here starting to get to me. for the record i would love to have marshall but how realistic is it to get a deal like that done.

View attachment 2029118

Never seen us linked to Battle and nor do I think he would even consider coming to Geelong.
I worked on a site with Battles father when he was drafted and he’s as much of a hawks nut as you can get and that runs in the family.

Was told at the time of the draft that Battle was our main target that year and the Saints jumped us.

History says we took a bloke called Tom Stewart - but Geelong were going to use that pick on Battle.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If thats the cost to them to trade him they are better off keeping him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back