Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

How's Ross criticising the unfairness of academies and saying stkilda are one of the worst off. They got Owens and Windhanger - he just can't coach them. We've got nothing!
Smoke Screen Ross!
his mates in the media will buy into it so as to protect him from scrutiny

I agree with you on a lot of what you say re. Stengle. But without being too much of a stickler this Stengle's interrupted start has probably helped him as much as hindered him in your comparisons. Cameron has a bunch of less productive games as a 19, 20, 21yo which drag down his averages. Stengle didn't play much until he came to us as a 23yo when he was entering his prime. If he turns out to be as good as Cameron has the past 5 years, we would have done very, very well.
I see what you are saying.

But if you take the last 3 seasons of Tyson and compare to Cameron’s 2017-2019 (ie the 3 years before he signed his deal), Tyson had a better goal per game average (1.88 vs 1.75) and more possessions per game (13.29 vs 13.05). And Cameron had the benefit of a more stable career to that point.

All indications are that Stengle will be at least as good (likely more productive) over the next 5 years than Cameron did/will from 2021 to 2025.

In the first year of his deal, Cameron was getting ~5.7% of brisbanes salary cap. In 2025 Tyson will be getting ~3.9% of geelong’s salary cap. That is a significant difference.

23, has pace, this year in limited game time is averaging 17 disposals, 5 goals/5 behinds/4 goal assists from 8 matches, one of which he was subbed off. If he comes for steak knives in the Smith deal I wouldn't complain.

Can’t say I’m salivating for another 5’11 midfielder. I feel like we’ve got our quota of those. We need some 6’3 guys that can break and stick a tackle.

This Garcia talk, i had a look and it was one person saying a mate of theirs said Garcia had toured us.... I mean that is a bit Trade Radio type speculation isn't it? I had a read and didn't see anyone else back it up or anything, i have no idea if the person posting it was reliable, full of shit etc... so I don't know if it is worth speculating on too much

Firstly, I agree with all posters who are over the moon about Stengle. You just do not find elite goal kicking small forwards around the place. Underrated how big a win that is for us.

And on the Bailey Smith my source has said there’s been meetings and he is, “100% he will be Geelong bound.” That’s his quote. Sounds like everything is in line and he’s happy. I truly hope this doesn’t turn into a Jacob Hopper event because I rate Smith much, much higher than Hopper.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Liked Garcia in his draft year and he has some good attributes. But I'm a bit with DanA - I'm not sure his "type" is what we need as far as mids go. Wouldn't put a line through him completely though.

Seems more a "hybrid mid" which we already have a fair few of.
Who does he push out if he does come to us?

Even if say we lose at the end of 2024 the guys on the left, we would already immediately have replacements in the guys on the right.

Stanley >>> Conway
Rohan >>> O Henry
2E >>> Humphries/Mullin
Duncan >>> Bailey Smith if he does come? And that's without including all the others who could replace that role.
Hawkins >>> Neale

Garcia would be another fringe player. Good for our VFL side and good to put pressure on players above them.

We already have Knevitt, Clohesy, Clark, Bruhn, Bowes as a young midfield brigade coming through to join Ax/Blics/Danger and Guth. Hardie can't even get a look in and Parfitt will most likely be a goner at the end of the year.

We already have Miers and Dempsey playing the high half forward role, Close and Stengle have crumbing/defensive forward roles on lock, OHenry has the third tall spot on lock. And that's before we even include Shaun Mannagh in the mix (kicked 6 on the weekend)

Where does he fit in?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t say I’m salivating for another 5’11 midfielder. I feel like we’ve got our quota of those. We need some 6’3 guys that can break and stick a tackle.

The game has changed but we definitely need a bit of campaigner in our next group of draftees.

Holmes, Dempsey, SDK, Ollie Henry, Miers, Knevitt. Talented group of younger players but not the most combative. Clark about the only younger guy on the other side of that ledger currently.

Lonergan was the perfect definition of a role player. He was never a star, never in the best 10 players in the team, never a high profile player who won you the game. But if you asked him to do something specific (ie. nullify the oppositions best gorilla forward) he would nearly always do the job. A great role player.

Stokes and pods also fit the definition
Your definitoon of a role player probably extends to three quarters od the players in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back