Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Not broad enough a definition. Probably need minimum 80% in that category
It is what made our teams from 2007-2011 so special. We probably had a 50/50 mix between elite players and role players.

Most good teams would probably be 35/65 at best

Let me get my crystal ball out and predict Bobby hill’s next contract….

How the hell would I know what he will sign for?

Charlie Cameron in 2020 was the best comparison to Stengle anyway. At that stage Cameron had 1 x AA selection, with a best season of 57 goals. Average goals per game at that stage was 1.52. Averaging ~12.5 possessions per game. Aged 26 at the time of contract

Stengle currently has 1x AA (another one coming this year), best season of 53 goals, career average of 1.68 goals per game. Career average of 12.5 possessions per game. Age 25

Looking at career to date it is even (though Stengle kicks more goals per game). Given Stengles interrupted start to his career it is impressive that his career to date is essentially on par with the same stage of Cameron’s career.

Stengle is a much better player than Bobby hill. Don’t be swayed by the Collingwood hype
Difference is Brisbane paid to get Cameron out and that always costs a bit more than retaining a player

Curious, is james kelly and mooney also role players?? What about mackie??
In their primes? No

Kelly was a gun mid who could also play lock down stopper and very competent small defender.

Mooney was a very good key forward who could also pinch hit in the ruck and played down back early in his career to good effect.

Mackie was probably the best attacking half back in the league who was a very good wingman. He would also push forward and kick important goals.

In their primes? No

Kelly was a gun mid who could also play lock down stopper and very competent small defender.

Mooney was a very good key forward who could also pinch hit in the ruck and played down back early in his career to good effect.

Mackie was probably the best attacking half back in the league who was a very good wingman. He would also push forward and kick important goals.

I'm trying to work out which one we'll trade or draft in this year......

I love our premiershieams from 2007, 2009 & 2011 as much as anyone - especially after sitting in the stands for 1995

THAT BEING SAID, I SEE ZERO RELEVANCE TO MULTIPLE PAGE DISCUSSIONS ON THOSE PLAYERS IN THE "GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists" THREAD

We've got threads for discussing those flags, those teams and those players - so take the discussion there

If you want to discuss potential "role players" to trade in come October, or maybe acquire via the draft, then go for it

BUT let's cut the discussion on past premiership players in this thread - further posts will be deleted

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dont know about that, unless you think our current plight is due to cameron and hawkins not doing their bit or the midfield not getting enough balls inside 50. smith apparently fixes the latter
King fixes a massive Hawkins sized hole
In our list for the next 8-10 seasons.

We will find it easier to fix the midfield

On the other hand, we don't know how good Cameron, Neale, Henry, Stengle, Close, & Miers can be as a collective with a good midfield feeding them yet.

Sydney's midfield has made Amartey & Hayward, and occasionally even McDonald look like superstars. We've got them covered there, but we're not close in terms of the midfield.

It's the same with the defence.

I guarantee you our backline looks a lot more settled if they can set up knowing we're actually going to win the territory battle, rather than setting up to at best absorb entries and then rebound.

you say it's easy, and in theory I agree. But in practice, how do you do that if you spend everything you have now on a kpf?

You wouldn't want to see a high value trade in sit there and get starved of entries. He'd be a gold plated paperweight on the CEOs desk while the company is in a liquidity crisis

you say it's easy, and in theory I agree. But in practice, how do you do that if you spend everything you have now on a kpf?

You wouldn't want to see a high value trade in sit there and get starved of entries. He'd be a gold plated paperweight on the CEOs desk while the company is in a liquidity crisis
It was the same with the JUH talk a few months ago.

It sounds awesome in theory, but slotting JUH/King into this side right now wouldn't change our fortunes IMO. I genuinely believe we’d be in the same spot.

Slotting LDU/Smith/Oliver (if he's right) into this side on the other hand would change our fortunes considerably, and it would happen virtually overnight.

I didn’t say it was easy. I said it was easier.

The hardest piece to find in footy is the key forward to build the team around. I will always take that over a midfielder if it is available.

But I don’t think we should be talking about King. He will stay at st kilda on a long term deal.

I am not sure we are allowed to talk about players that are unrealistic to be traded or not able to be drafted.

Better to be safe than sorry

well, we not getting those versions back, no point dwelling or trying to repeat it.
King is as close as you can get to a young Tom Hawkins. Cameron would be the wily veteran.

It would be a very good replication of that 2022 setup.

But again, it is not going to happen so I am going to avoid talking about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back