Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So genuine question. We wouldn't be interested in Ed Langdon if he was available as is being speculated?

Can't wait for a club to trade away 5 years of draft and **** themselves for 2 decades.

Future trading sounds great but comes with major risks.

Look at WCE trading themselves completely out of 2 trade (Kelly) periods did to them
Not a great example - look at the players taken using those picks

I honestly can't believe how much talk in regards to Reid to Geelong...

Honestly people get sucked in by reading to many irrelevant post here on BigFooty...

Start sifting the sh!t from the clay people.
His not coming to Geelong next season, let's just worry about the more likely trades we are in a chance like Bailey Smith etc
You just don’t understand the allure of FRESH SURFCOAST AIR™️

Yeah but that's less funny than hanging it all on Geelong putting West Coast over a barrel
Yeah it's directionally correct to say West Coast bought us a premiership through Cameron while giving us the leeway with our own picks to rebuild at the same time

The picks directly landed uncooperative Stephens (RIP), Willis and Knevitt while the success went a long way to having us land the Bruhn, Henry, Bowes trades

Tk for a premiership, 5+ years of Jez, Knevitt, Willis, Bruhn, Henry, Bowes, Clark, and a front row seat to the implosion of the club that handed them to us. What a time to be alive

Honestly people get sucked in by reading to many irrelevant post here on BigFooty...

His not coming to Geelong next season, let's just worry about the more likely trades we are in a chance like Bailey Smith etc
Nah full steam ahead, let's have some fun with this.

Baz this year, and Harley in two years. Throw Butters in there as a FA too.

Geelong 4-peat beginning in 2027.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's somehow a less reliable source than BigFooty & Twitter, that's how bad it is.

Hang on now! You don't trust the words of anonymous, unreliable sources on BigFooty?

Season 4 Episode 13 GIF by The Office

I find it pretty hard to believe we've drafted blokes with the sole purpose of them being trade bait down the track, thats just not how clubs operate, especially one like ours thats trying to rejuvenate a list with as much talent as possible.

100% this. If we could consistently pick 4th rounders that will in a few years have enough currency to get us Harley Reid, we wouldn’t need him in the first place.

AFL CONSIDERS EXPANDED FUTURE TRADING

“Since 2015, clubs have been able to trade one year in advance with a series of guardrails in place. However, the AFL is now considering allowing teams to trade picks two or three years from the time of the deal, with the potential to bring in the change to this off-season.”

This news is super important for us in targeting Reid. And there will be an uproar when this comes in and benefits our play for Reid. There aren’t too many players out there who you can justify 3xFRs for with nothing coming back and consider it a win. But Reid is one of them. It’s going to unlock many deals like this once it comes through, which for mine is a good thing. As it allows rebuilding clubs to truly recoup on a player’s value instead of being cucked to the nominated team’s draft hand, since player for player trades have become increasingly rare and difficult. I know there’s a long way to go and a lot of water under the bridge but the way this Reid news was presented to me is that he has verbally made it clear Geelong is where he wants to come.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I actually think this could be a bad thing for us in some ways.

The market price for gun players is in part set by what you are actually able to pay. If we’re able to pay 3 or 4 first rounders, WCE would want it. But if we can only pay 2, we might get away with that.

Good example being our two big trades of the last decade. When danger came there was no future pick trading and we only paid 1 first rounder. There’s no way you would be able to get someone of his quality for that little now. But when Cameron came across we could trade future picks so he cost us 3 firsts (albeit late firsts, with seconds coming back). If we can trade 2 years into the future, Reid’s worth probably goes up more just because we’re able to pay more.

Although I agree that it’s probably good for the poorer clubs to be able to get more of a players worth when trading them out, it’s probably not good for us if we’re a destination club.

The market price for gun players is in part set by what you are actually able to pay. If we’re able to pay 3 or 4 first rounders, WCE would want it. But if we can only pay 2, we might get away with that.

Good example being our two big trades of the last decade. When danger came there was no future pick trading and we only paid 1 first rounder. There’s no way you would be able to get someone of his quality for that little now. But when Cameron came across we could trade future picks so he cost us 3 firsts (albeit late firsts, with seconds coming back). If we can trade 2 years into the future, Reid’s worth probably goes up more just because we’re able to pay more.

Although I agree that it’s probably good for the poorer clubs to be able to get more of a players worth when trading them out, it’s probably not good for us if we’re a destination club.
Just because you can trade more assets, doesn’t mean you will.

The market is still heavily dictated by what the player wants and where they want to go. Once they have decided, it is just a question of how badly the players current club gets screwed. Maybe they can get a bit less screwed than they used to, but they will still get screwed.

I dropped it. Same source gave me info on Bailey Smith and two days later Jon Ralph blew it up with the news Geelong is “85% likely to get Smith.”

Also, if you read the original post. I said at the end of his contract. Not the end of this season. Talks are super positive and everything is indicative he will come to Geelong. Again, this is what I’ve heard and I’m happy to write it because this source is consistently on the money.

You just don’t understand the allure of FRESH SURFCOAST AIR

Or the allure of playing for your boyhood club when you come from country vic and are currently stuck in one of the worst side’s in footy that just lost a coach… on the opposite side of Australia to your family.

100% it can be. This is where clubs will have to be smart and really analyse if a player is worth what they have to give up, which we always have been mature with. Unlike Essendon with Shiel or worse… Crows with Gibbs…

AFL CONSIDERS EXPANDED FUTURE TRADING

“Since 2015, clubs have been able to trade one year in advance with a series of guardrails in place. However, the AFL is now considering allowing teams to trade picks two or three years from the time of the deal, with the potential to bring in the change to this off-season.”

This news is super important for us in targeting Reid. And there will be an uproar when this comes in and benefits our play for Reid. There aren’t too many players out there who you can justify 3xFRs for with nothing coming back and consider it a win. But Reid is one of them. It’s going to unlock many deals like this once it comes through, which for mine is a good thing. As it allows rebuilding clubs to truly recoup on a player’s value instead of being cucked to the nominated team’s draft hand, since player for player trades have become increasingly rare and difficult. I know there’s a long way to go and a lot of water under the bridge but the way this Reid news was presented to me is that he has verbally made it clear Geelong is where he wants to come.

I happily trade 3fr for any player that can produce what Danger has done.

Or the allure of playing for your boyhood club when you come from country vic and are currently stuck in one of the worst side’s in footy that just lost a coach… on the opposite side of Australia to your family.

They'll get some new coach bounce. There's literally years to play out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back