Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

His ceiling really isn't. He is below average across the board on any metric you could measure. Might as well stick to Neale if we want someone who might develop into a serviceable player

Neale's athleticism, ability below his knees and kicking at least give him a point of difference at AFL level that give him a chance of making it. I don't see what Lord has at all. He gives me Willie Buzza vibes. Great competitor but doesn't have the tools to make it at that level.

Can't remember who said Connor Nash sucks, but that foolish comment is looking more so now.
I was at the Hawks v Pies game today he did some nice things but I wouldn’t have any great desire to have him in our team. The Hawks looked really good their run and spread tore the pies apart. Look a different side to the one we played and Ginni is a real leader on the field for them.

I was at the Hawks v Pies game today he did some nice things but I wouldn’t have any great desire to have him in our team. The Hawks looked really good their run and spread tore the pies apart. Look a different side to the one we played and Ginni is a real leader on the field for them.
13 CP and 29 disposals looks good on paper but 48 DE% and 8 clangers does not.

Still, to balance the side we have good users, just not good ball winners so could work

13 CP and 29 disposals looks good on paper but 48 DE% and 8 clangers does not.

Still, to balance the side we have good users, just not good ball winners so could work

Extractors are what we lack. The fact we're still relying on 34yo PFD to do it says it all.

Just looked on McRae , his contract till 2027. If we can take on his contract and put over the same years, and Dogs pay for min 20% of it, while giving them a 3rd rounder. I'd do it. Bit like the Shaun Higgins deal..
We don't have that on baller who can get it 30 plus times... Screenshot_20240721_122507_AFL.jpg

Just looked on McRae , his contract till 2027. If we can take on his contract and put over the same years, and Dogs pay for min 20% of it, while giving them a 3rd rounder. I'd do it. Bit like the Shaun Higgins deal..
We don't have that on baller who can get it 30 plus times...View attachment 2054374
Why would you do another team a favour like that?

The bulldogs would bite your hand off to get rid of macrae for a 3rd rounder.

I can see that he may be some value to Geelong, but he is negative value to the dogs - he takes up a decent chunk of salary cap for the next 3 seasons in a position that is redundant for them.

They have to pay to get rid of him.

Why would you do another team a favour like that?

The bulldogs would bite your hand off to get rid of macrae for a 3rd rounder.

I can see that he may be some value to Geelong, but he is negative value to the dogs - he takes up a decent chunk of salary cap for the next 3 seasons in a position that is redundant for them.

They have to pay to get rid of him.

Exactly

Not sure it would quite work out at the level of the Bowes deal, but IF any team is stupid enough to take on Macrea's contract, there needs to be an incentive from the Bulldogs to do so and not sure simply paying 20% is enough of an incentive

We don't have that on baller who can get it 30 plus times...View attachment 2054374

No way.
They would need to give us a r3 and even then i wouldnt do it.
They would love to offload him and daniel to have $ to keep english and juh etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is from an April 11 article (after they lost to us during Gather Round), and this is what the Bulldogs are currently dealing with in terms of unwanted salary usage:

“Jack Macrae and Caleb Daniel have been substituted in and out and they’ve got Rory Lobb and James Harmes in the VFL — that’s $2.5 million of salary cap space on four available players you’re getting one game out of (last weekend),” Sam Landsberger said.

Between that article & another, it's speculated that Macrae is on at least $700k for each of his remaining seasons through to 2027, Daniel's is on potentially $750k through to 2026 and it sounds like similar money for Lobb as another article suggests there's approx $2million in salary cap used between the 3 of them

No doubt the Bulldogs would love at least 2 of those players off their books, and also be more than happy to see Smith move on, as they just won't have the salary cap space to keep all those guys on their books on their current deals or for Smith on a new deal without losing others who they're clearly preference as best 22 options & their future

Is there actually any reports that they would like to offload McRae

It's been speculated all year since Macrae started in the VFL before then playing as the sub against us over in Adelaide

Daniel is likely another player they'd be happy to move on and think he's been linked to Collingwood - or at least, Collingwood fans have looked towards him as an option playing off their half-back line

This is from an April 11 article (after they lost to us during Gather Round), and this is what the Bulldogs are currently dealing with in terms of unwanted salary usage:

“Jack Macrae and Caleb Daniel have been substituted in and out and they’ve got Rory Lobb and James Harmes in the VFL — that’s $2.5 million of salary cap space on four available players you’re getting one game out of (last weekend),” Sam Landsberger said.

Between that article & another, it's speculated that Macrae is on at least $700k for each of his remaining seasons through to 2027, Daniel's is on potentially $750k through to 2026 and it sounds like similar money for Lobb as another article suggests there's approx $2million in salary cap used between the 3 of them

No doubt the Bulldogs would love at least 2 of those players off their books, and also be more than happy to see Smith move on, as they just won't have the salary cap space to keep all those guys on their books on their current deals or for Smith on a new deal without losing others who they're clearly preference as best 22 options & their future
Much appreciated

700 g for McRae.. if we could get the dogs to pay 300g of that. And we gave them a pick in the 60s. Surely that's a worth a look at 👀 ???

700 g for McRae.. if we could get the dogs to pay 300g of that. And we gave them a pick in the 60s. Surely that's a worth a look at 👀 ???

I'd still want them to be throwing a pick in rather than giving up any picks for him. I also doubt the Bulldogs would agree to paying any of his portion contract as the idea of moving him on is purely about a salary dump - it's not a personality clash situation where he's looking for a fresh start type thing

The biggest hurdle for any team taking on Macrae & his contract is that he turns 30 in 3 weeks and his current contract still has 3 years to run at approx $2million over those 3 years - that's a big hit to any teams salary cap in bringing in a 30yr old who is the later stages of their career & it's also much harder to try negotiating a new contract to spread that out over even say 4 years

When we signed Bowes with his contract, he was only 24 & turning 25 before the start of his first season with us - spreading his remaining 2 years over 4 years, and slightly upping the total value works better at that age. Different scenario with a 30yr old

Just popping in here, I see this has been mentioned in the review thread but I'll keep out of that for obvious reasons. Macrae has lost his pace and a lot slower than what he used to be, he's able to come on in spots but through the season his TOG had dropped to an average of 50-60% when playing. He's not the answer, you want another break the lines player with an edge about them. Ed Richards has all but sewn up Macrae's spot in the starting 22.

Daniel is another example of a player who has slowed down considerably and doesnt have a spot

I think the Cats would be better off taking a chance on B Smith, he can play, he can run and with the right coach for his personality he can be a very damaging player

Just popping in here, I see this has been mentioned in the review thread but I'll keep out of that for obvious reasons. Macrae has lost his pace and a lot slower than what he used to be, he's able to come on in spots but through the season his TOG had dropped to an average of 50-60% when playing. He's not the answer, you want another break the lines player with an edge about them. Ed Richards has all but sewn up Macrae's spot in the starting 22.

Daniel is another example of a player who has slowed down considerably and doesnt have a spot

I think the Cats would be better off taking a chance on B Smith, he can play, he can run and with the right coach for his personality he can be a very damaging player
More then welcome to post on here...

So what do you think you will do on McRae then? With his lengthy contract etc?

More then welcome to post on here...

So what do you think you will do on McRae then? With his lengthy contract etc?

He'll stay on for depth and it will be too much to pay out, unless he hangs up the boots voluntarily which is not out of the question.

Smith will go, English is also another question mark as he hasnt renewed either so there's an 800K salary in question

He'll stay on for depth and it will be too much to pay out, unless he hangs up the boots voluntarily which is not out of the question.

Smith will go, English is also another question mark as he hasnt renewed either so there's an 800K salary in question
Do you think McRae will want to stay on as a back up option thou?
What's your opinion on what we will have to give up for Baz Smith?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back