Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I might want to opt in if I understand. Come on, I’m getting FOMOOM (fear of missing out on melting).
The only change the afl is making so far in their review to make the draft fairer is to take away the NGA rule about not being able to match on top 40 and hence is not actually making the draft fairer.

Under these rules Melbourne could have matched Mac Andrew

Come on, I’m getting FOMOOM (fear of missing out on melting).
Is your night sorted or what.
Plenty of tribunal melting on this site tonight you can catch up on. Enough you could do it netflix style. In episodes.

Mate, that news is so old it was printed next to an article about "unexplained cases of pneumonia detected in Wuhan China".

Plenty of beers charging $14+
No less maddening.

Can still get $6 on my side of town. $7 after 18 holes at Curlewis not too annoying after a long angry walk in the trees.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is the point of the rookie list?

Half the selections are recycled 25+yo, and now players will be able to stay on the list for 5 years. Why not just increase the size of the main list, what benefit is there to separating the two?

I can see why clubs want it to exist and even extend the duration.

To start with 1 year contracts on initial signings,

Players on the primary list receive a big bump in their wage after moving off their initial contract. Someone like Willis would be an extremely cap inefficient player. Where as rookies are the opposite, their wage is more or less pegged to the base wage until they're promoted.

For some type of player (primarily developing talls) clubs don't want to draft them and play them $1 million before they are even close to playing weight.

Which is why at the moment there is a shortage of KPD and Ruckmen. 15 years a go clubs would carry the extra talls

Was responding to a fan from another club and realised how much change we've made this year. Note: not interested in debates over this player v that player. It was subjective and last year injuries meant that 26 played 10+ games so what was our best side is debatable.

2023 best side v best side now (July 2024).

B: Bews, De Koning Henry
HB: Stewart Kolodjashnij Z.Guthrie
C: I.Smith Dangerfield Tuohy
HF: Miers Cameron Rohan
F: O.Henry Hawkins Stengle
R: Stanley Atkins Blicavs
IC: Holmes Bruhn Close O'Connor Duncan

B: Z.Guthrie, Henry Tuohy
HB: Humphries Kolodjashnij Holmes
C: Dempsey Dangerfield Mannagh
F: Close Neale Stengle
R: De Koning Atkins Stewart
IC: Bruhn Bowes Blicavs Duncan Clark

C.Guthrie left out of both as injured majority of both seasons, ditto Conway for similar reasons.

Subjective of course, some would argue for a player here and there to change, or swap positions, and last year was hard as lots of players had 10+ games due to above average injury frequency. Red = 2023 not best side now. Blue = changed position = Orange is best side now.

As it stands Bews (30), Smith (34), Henry (21), Hawkins (36), Stanley (33) and O'Connor (27) replaced by Humphries (21), Dempsey (21), Neale (22), Clark (20), Bowes (26) and Mannagh (26). Like I said earlier add in Smith (24 at years end) and there's likely another older player replaced by someone with more years.

What you see with Geelong, and this probably is contrasted by most sides - Sydney may be another similar example - is that change is continuous and gradual, and players often serve 1-2 year apprenticeships in the VFL before making the leap and quickly establishing themselves. This is much harder for the average neutral fan who doesn't follow the club closely and can result in the assumption that a rebuild is yet to start and should be on the horizon.

O'Sullivan, Knevitt, Hardie or Willis could be just such players by this time next year.

Was responding to a fan from another club and realised how much change we've made this year. Note: not interested in debates over this player v that player. It was subjective and last year injuries meant that 26 played 10+ games so what was our best side is debatable.

C.Guthrie left out of both as injured majority of both seasons, ditto Conway for similar reasons.

Subjective of course, some would argue for a player here and there to change, or swap positions, and last year was hard as lots of players had 10+ games due to above average injury frequency. Red = 2023 not best side now. Blue = changed position = Orange is best side now.

As it stands Bews (30), Smith (34), Henry (21), Hawkins (36), Stanley (33) and O'Connor (27) replaced by Humphries (21), Dempsey (21), Neale (22), Clark (20), Bowes (26) and Mannagh (26). Like I said earlier add in Smith (24 at years end) and there's likely another older player replaced by someone with more years.

What you see with Geelong, and this probably is contrasted by most sides - Sydney may be another similar example - is that change is continuous and gradual, and players often serve 1-2 year apprenticeships in the VFL before making the leap and quickly establishing themselves. This is much harder for the average neutral fan who doesn't follow the club closely and can result in the assumption that a rebuild is yet to start and should be on the horizon.

O'Sullivan, Knevitt, Hardie or Willis could be just such players by this time next year.
Good analysis. We have been finding ways to integrate 2 or 3 new players into the team each year and still somehow that pesky cliff dive keeps getting delayed.

The 2020 GF team:

FB: Bews Henderson Kolo
HB: Stewart Taylor Tuohy
C: Blicavs C.Guthrie Duncan
HF: Menegola Rohan Dahlhaus
FF: Ablett Hawkins Miers
R: Stanley Selwood Dangerfield
IC: J.Henry Parfitt O'Connor Simpson

A whole bunch of oldies and solid role players without much up and coming star potential.

As indicated by the bolding, just 9 are locked into our best 23 a few seasons later and I'd say 4 of them (Duncan, Tuohy, Blicavs, Rohan) are peripheral veterans rather than "in their prime" A/B graders.

The 2022 GF team:

FB: Bews SDK J.Henry
HB: Stewart Kolo Tuohy
C: Smith C.Guthrie Duncan
HF: Close Cameron Miers
FF: Stengle Hawkins Rohan
R: Stanley Selwood Dangerfield
IC: Atkins Z.Guthrie Blicavs O'Connor Parfitt(sub)

Holmes with the injury, but that's still 6 other spots with new players since then.

Maybe 2 or 3 of Blicavs, Tuohy, Rohan and Duncan will lose best 23 status by this time next year.

I doubt we can legitimately contend with such turnover (would love to be proved wrong) but it's still kind of remarkable the avoidance of gravity to this stage. 2022, like 2020, like 2017, like 2015, like 2013, like 2011 - should've signalled it was time to be a bottom 4 team needing to haul top 5 draft picks for a few years. Maybe it'll happen. It has to eventually...right?

Last edited:
I can see why clubs want it to exist and even extend the duration.

To start with 1 year contracts on initial signings,

Players on the primary list receive a big bump in their wage after moving off their initial contract. Someone like Willis would be an extremely cap inefficient player. Where as rookies are the opposite, their wage is more or less pegged to the base wage until they're promoted.

For some type of player (primarily developing talls) clubs don't want to draft them and play them $1 million before they are even close to playing weight.

Which is why at the moment there is a shortage of KPD and Ruckmen. 15 years a go clubs would carry the extra talls

But they’re all arbitrary things that are by the AFL’s making. They could incorporate those things into the regular draft.

E.g, the AFL has decided to make top 20 picks sign 3 year deals upon being drafted, they could just as easily make 5th round picks onwards (the equivalent of the rookie draft) sign only 1 year contracts.

Similarly, theres already a graded salary scale by selection where pick1-20 get more than 21-40, who get more than 41+, who get more than rookies. Just make picks 60+ get a base salary equivalent to the rookie draft with the ability to extend later and it would be the same thing without the convoluted 2 list system we currently have.

This blows me away

Teams should not be able to cope with this much change, this quickly, and be competitive

The change is even more stark if you go back to 2022 and consider that was Atkins first year in the midfield, SDKs 2nd game round 1, genuine conversations about whether Ceglar was our best ruck, Blitz had just been moved back to the middle after another stint as a defender, and lamentation about the lack of youth given we'd just traded away our only first round pick that had performed at the level since I don't know

True! Valid point that would be looked at closely one would think.
Matching bids need to be ACTUALLY matched. Not false dodgy matches that add up to the same value but are all stacked in the last season.. something the club would actually refuse to do if the player agreed, or the player would refuse also.

I hope we are vocal and call for it to investigates next time it happens to us and it’s a GWS Cameron style.

RFA is just a joke and needs to be scrapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back