Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Season 2024 nears the end
Potentially see 5 Stars retire.
May also see 5 spuds delisted

Team Rebuilding required.
Knevitt : Mullin : O'Sullivan
Conway : Clark : Clohesy
Expected to step up in 2025

Shaping as Draft Pick No.15
Late 2nd rounder selection
Rest fall into Leftovers Land

Dog's Bailey Smith is coming
Need a tall strong midfielder
Phantom Draft Ranking No.18
Cooper Hynes 190 Mid/Fwd
Good ball user + Goal kicker
VIC : Dandenong Stingrays
Cooper Hynes Highlights

May need to consider trade
Kolo : As Trade Bait Worth??
Would attract serious interest
Heard today from 2 separate sources that no club will go near smith as he's not well so to speak. Dogs will have to throw in plenty to offload him it seems

Scott is focused on getting his body right. I BELIEVE THERE IS NO HOPE HE STAYS. Interesting article. https://archive.vn/B3rpV#selection-1695.0-1742.0
(the link should work)

Bailey Smith says he’s focused on injury rehab, not his future, amid trade speculation and links to Geelong​

Bailey Smith has spoken publicly for the first time on his football future as speculation ramps up he will ask Western Bulldogs to be traded at season’s end.
Injured Bulldogs star Bailey Smith claims he hasn’t considered his future at the club amid rampant speculation he will ask to be traded.
Speaking publicly for the first time about his plans beyond this year, Smith said he would not risk his health by trying to return to be part of a possible finals campaign.
The 23-year-old has been strongly linked with Geelong after Collingwood and Hawthorn were earlier touted as possible suitors.
Smith tore his ACL in mid-December last year, all but ending his hopes of playing this season and sparking rumours he had played his last game for the Bulldogs.

“I haven’t paid any attention to anything other than my health at the minute and then supporting the boys – just focusing on the short-term, (the) here and now, which is GWS on Sunday and hopefully we get up,” Smith said.
“I don’t know when those (trade) conversations happen or if they do happen.”
The midfielder met Bulldogs fans in Ballarat on Friday, alongside the club’s AFLW star and former captain Ellie Blackburn.
Hundreds of supporters lined up in club gear to greet the pair, with the line stretching outside the shopping centre doors.
Following his knee injury, Smith said he was“feeling really good” and “fully fit” and that he was had started contact exercises as part of his rehab.
He said he had decided in conjuction with the Bulldogs that he would focus on his recovery rather than risk possible injury by returning this season.
“There were (discussions about playing again in 2024) early days, but then it’s more the risk versus reward of chasing a couple of games versus playing for another 10, 12 years,” he said.
“Initially I was really chasing to come back, but it’s just not worth the risk.”
Smith also spent time in Europe earlier in the year, which he said was “awesome, just mentally more than physically”.
“I still trained every day over there,” he said.
Last week, Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge conceded that his confidence Smith would stay at the club had started to “wane” as he was yet to indicate he would sign a new contract.
But he added he wasn’t “resigned” to Smith’s future being elsewhere.

Scott is focused on getting his body right. I BELIEVE THERE IS NO HOPE HE STAYS. Interesting article. https://archive.vn/B3rpV#selection-1695.0-1742.0
(the link should work)

Bailey Smith says he’s focused on injury rehab, not his future, amid trade speculation and links to Geelong​

Bailey Smith has spoken publicly for the first time on his football future as speculation ramps up he will ask Western Bulldogs to be traded at season’s end.
Injured Bulldogs star Bailey Smith claims he hasn’t considered his future at the club amid rampant speculation he will ask to be traded.
Speaking publicly for the first time about his plans beyond this year, Smith said he would not risk his health by trying to return to be part of a possible finals campaign.
The 23-year-old has been strongly linked with Geelong after Collingwood and Hawthorn were earlier touted as possible suitors.
Smith tore his ACL in mid-December last year, all but ending his hopes of playing this season and sparking rumours he had played his last game for the Bulldogs.

“I haven’t paid any attention to anything other than my health at the minute and then supporting the boys – just focusing on the short-term, (the) here and now, which is GWS on Sunday and hopefully we get up,” Smith said.
“I don’t know when those (trade) conversations happen or if they do happen.”
The midfielder met Bulldogs fans in Ballarat on Friday, alongside the club’s AFLW star and former captain Ellie Blackburn.
Hundreds of supporters lined up in club gear to greet the pair, with the line stretching outside the shopping centre doors.
Following his knee injury, Smith said he was“feeling really good” and “fully fit” and that he was had started contact exercises as part of his rehab.
He said he had decided in conjuction with the Bulldogs that he would focus on his recovery rather than risk possible injury by returning this season.
“There were (discussions about playing again in 2024) early days, but then it’s more the risk versus reward of chasing a couple of games versus playing for another 10, 12 years,” he said.
“Initially I was really chasing to come back, but it’s just not worth the risk.”
Smith also spent time in Europe earlier in the year, which he said was “awesome, just mentally more than physically”.
“I still trained every day over there,” he said.
Last week, Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge conceded that his confidence Smith would stay at the club had started to “wane” as he was yet to indicate he would sign a new contract.
But he added he wasn’t “resigned” to Smith’s future being elsewhere.
For our sake, I really hope he's a better footballer than he is a liar.

Heard today from 2 separate sources that no club will go near smith as he's not well so to speak. Dogs will have to throw in plenty to offload him it seems
He's OOC.

There's nothing holding him there, and there's no incentive for the Dogs to have to give something up to get him off their books.

If the Dogs think he's more trouble than he's worth then they don't have to do anything. They could just cut him, and hopefully get him the help he needs and put footy on hold.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Oliver?

If that’s the case, Cats will be doing what they did with Mitch Clark, Jack Steven and Tyson Stengle.
Bet on culture and club outreach to help get these guys mentally back to a good place.

I’d imagine getting Baz away from the Melbourne bubble would help immensely.
Sometimes you just need a change of scenery or a change up in your life to make it all click.

Does it always work? No and you’d be naive to think it always will.

But I back our guys to wrap their arms around blokes and bring the best out of them.
We’ve done it with plenty of troubled or complicated blokes in the past.

Don’t be surprised if Bailey gets the same help from Hocko, Craig Drummond, the coaching crew and the lads.
Can see Jezza mentoring him

He's OOC.

There's nothing holding him there, and there's no incentive for the Dogs to have to give something up to get him off their books.

If the Dogs think he's more trouble than he's worth then they don't have to do anything. They could just cut him, and hopefully get him the help he needs and put footy on hold.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Oliver?
Nah I reckon they know who they're talking about.

I think there seem to be a couple of significant differences to Oliver's situation

I can see the first sentence being on the money and the second sentence a misinterpreted comment
I can't. I reckon that info would be out if true by now.

If it is true though and for whatever reason the press never mentions it... then we will get confirmation with the trade deal and how little we/or whoever he goes to give for him.

Nah I reckon they know who they're talking about.

I think there seem to be a couple of significant differences to Oliver's situation
If they know who they're talking about then it doesn't make sense...

The Dogs haven't got any commitment to Smith. There's no reason for them to attach anything to the deal to get rid of him, they can just just cut him and nothing happens.

OP is suggesting a Bowes esque deal where the Dogs have to provide something to get opposition clubs to do the deal. It makes zero sense from a Dogs POV, Smith isn't contracted.

It would be like us doing this:

"Hey guys, here's James Willis and a first round pick. We were going to delist him anyway, but we just thought we'd be charitable for the sake of it"

I suggested they might be thinking of Oliver because that at least checks out.

The Dees would need to offer an incentive to get a club to take Oliver onboard, that's not the case with Smith.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chris Scott gave a pretty good indication today in his press conference re Duncan and Rohan.

Stopped short of saying both would 100% be there next season, but seemed to indicate that contracts had been put in front of both. Rohan (when fit) has some assets (when fit) and still has his leg speed and marking for his size. And can impact games. Duncan I fear is cooked and might fall into the category of "I played on one year too many" if we assess this time next year.

If Duncan is best 22 next season I think we have problems.
Rohan was told last year this would be his last. Too get a extra year is a bonus for him, but as he has kept his speed I can see why.

I’ve heard the exact opposite.
He only played on this year to help the club transition to Conway, he was gonna finish up last year.
Yep he was going to Retire. The club really twisted his arm to play on.
And he has limped through.
hopefully he can get on a strong run from now on.

Comes back to what would you prefer?

The experience, on and off-field coaching, and spasmodic brilliance of Mitch Duncan?

...Or pick 78 in the draft? Keep in mind we'll already be taking several picks just before then.

It's chalk and cheese. If we've got a Dempsey or Humphries stashed away then we'll find them regardless, we don't need the list spot and the token pick in expense of Duncan.

Finding the next Jake Tarca and giving him a two year deal over the one year deal that Duncan will command makes zero sense.
Seems to me like we can turn pick 78 into a winner though

I would look at Max King. Has confidence issues atm but he's always been at a crap club. Has the capability.

Talk about this draft being deep and even from 5 - 30.

Is Smith worth the squeeze if the Dogs push too hard?

Dont want to give up too much for him. Not saying he has no value nor we should only give massive unders but Rd1 and Rd2 this year seems overs...

Rd1 and FR3 maybe but Rd1 this year is the starting place.

And anything FR1 or FR2 must be maintained.

With Tassie coming and the Tuggers gutting and reloading the picking will be slim in future years.

Lots to consider especially with the AFL and their academy darlings just getting kissed on the dick year on year now with picks and concessions still.

GO Catters

Dont want to give up too much for him. Not saying he has no value nor we should only give massive unders but Rd1 and Rd2 this year seems overs...

With Tassie coming and the Tuggers gutting and reloading the picking will be slim in future years.

Lots to consider especially with the AFL and their academy darlings just getting kissed on the dick year on year now with picks and concessions still.

GO Catters
I think the dogs are moving past him at a rate of knots and I don't think they'll feel hard done by when he is traded out.

That said I think the real midfield talent in this year looks top 10 and I wouldn't take anything at our pick over baz.

I would look at Max King. Has confidence issues atm but he's always been at a crap club. Has the capability.
Yeah Nah... Another SuperHypedSpud.
Very little footy nous and forward craft, less than his brother who is just BOG average in my opinion.
Rory Lobb has them(King Bros) covered and thats not saying much TBH.

GO Catters
Perfect scenario to use a Future 1st.
A nice pick in the teens(15-19) this year would be kinda nice with plenty of quality players available this year IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back