Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that Kolo not yet been offered a contract. Despite his deficiencies he’s been largely good this year and you’d expect he’d get some external interest.
I would say Kolo has been out best defender this year and I'd be astounded if he wasn't offered a contract.

He might want a pay day based on his output though

I would say Kolo has been out best defender this year and I'd be astounded if he wasn't offered a contract.

He might want a pay day based on his output though

28 years old. Not too many seasons left. If he was to get offered significantly more elsewhere you wouldn’t blame him for leaving. Be surprised though if he received any substantial offers.

28 years old. Not too many seasons left. If he was to get offered significantly more elsewhere you wouldn’t blame him for leaving. Be surprised though if he received any substantial offers.
I wouldn't be surprised at all. He's got 4 years left in him and KPDs are hard to get, especially for free.

Depends how you define “substantial”. What would he be on with us? $450K?
He got paid enough to be a restricted free agent in 2021 but that was likely us stacking a bunch of coin in his final year. But he would be on more than 450k given the salary cap of 15.8m across 39 senior listed is an average of 404k.

Have a look at how much sav got from Port, then ask yourself which player is better

He got paid enough to be a restricted free agent in 2021 but that was likely us stacking a bunch of coin in his final year. But he would be on more than 450k given the salary cap of 15.8m across 39 senior listed is an average of 404k.

Have a look at how much sav got from Port, then ask yourself which player is better

Ratagolea a few years younger but $700K a year is ridiculous for him. If Kolo can receive something like that elsewhere good luck to him.

Ratagolea a few years younger but $700K a year is ridiculous for him. If Kolo can receive something like that elsewhere good luck to him.
We would miss him more than many think but I think we would just say thanks for the service at those prices

It isn't entirely arbitrary the contracts after drafting are dictated by the collective bargaining agreement between the AFL and AFLPA. Using crayon to change a 3 to 5 would be a lot easier

It might be easier, but it doesn’t make it better.

It’s the same CBA for rookie listed players, so I’m not convinced it has to be split. If you transfer all regulations/entitlements of pick 1 in the rookie draft to pick 70 of the main draft and just extended that, what are we missing out on?

Once they stopped the rule that rookie listed players had to be elevated and could instead just play from round 1 it became redundant in my eyes. It’s no longer a list to develop raw talls as you say, it’s just an extension of the main list in practical terms.

If there was a chance to move on Kolo every other season I’d have been overjoyed and a possibility of getting a pick back! But I agree with others here he’s best of best defender this year.
He still makes mistakes and should never kick the ball but his defensive work has been great. He’s shown strength in the contest when our other defenders seem to have caught an anti contact virus.
Henry, DK, Tuohy, Stewart have had some poor moments and games down back.

In saying all that if he did leave and we got some compo I wouldn’t be that concerned. We have too many mid sized defenders anyway and Henry is not going anywhere.

Yikes. So you reckon if we draft one back up ruck to replace Stanley, along with retirements and delistings, we won't have a single spot to recruit the mids talked about in this thread?

Then if Conway does an ACL we are rucking Neale/Furphy/Edwards all year.

I'd probably get the cheap back up ruck and a decent mid.
CatToTheFuture let's go back to the future on this one. Still think we need a back up ruck of some sort.

If Kolo were to move on we would absolutely need to hire a backup ruck and or a ready made defender.

Without him right now SDK would be in defence and we would be without a ruck if Stanley was injured( good chance)
If we kept SDK in the ruck we would be left with only Henry in defence as COS isn't ready yet and Jeka never will be.

Defenders next year if Kolo moves on

Henry
Maybe SDK
A not ready COS unless he comes on massively during preseason
Jeka not good enough

Ruck stocks

Conway (injury prone for now)
Maybe SDK
Edwards nowhere near ready
Furphy shown some signs but wouldn't want to rely on him
I suppose we could use Neale as a ruck but he isn't one and that would leave us short a key forward

So if Kolo left and gave us a decent pick we would end up having to use that on a defender to replace him most likely or hope we can get a replacement ruck in case Conway can't get healthy.

A lot of risk just to let Kolo go ..
Now if he is adamant about leaving of course we get the best we can for him.. Guessing he is a FA so whatever band the AFL decide to give us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back