Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Zac Butters has bought a house down in Geelong now? Come on don’t be silly!
I didnt say a house... U r now trying to put words into my mouth or in this case my post.
Patience Grasshopper Patience. Let time pass, as it will unravel all.

So Bailey Smith gets the keys to his new digs from a my mate the Landscaper from Bellbrae this week...
And I see "I can't believe it's not Butter's" seems to have his roots just about to be planted nearby.
GiddyUp Catters!!
Smith is a done deal and just waiting on a formal announcement. No change from that in the last few weeks (or more). But the Zac Butters thing seems a bit left field if I'm being 100% honest. Not sure if we might be talking to similar people connected with the club but when I raised the Zac Butters matter I got laughed at and told "not a snowflakes chance".

Unless Butters is buying property for life after football and there's no connection to the GFC. Tom De Koning owns property in Torquay but that doesn't mean he's playing for Geelong next year.

On Martin, I have no doubts we'd have done our due diligence and had his body assessed. The fact we're considered the leader for his services would suggest we believe we can fix whatever issues have plagued him.

But it's still massive risk - an average of only playing 13 games per season is a huge red flag.
I think wed take 13 games from a bloke that costs us nothing to get, very low risk pick and the talent is there.

I found the following image from Draft Guru and while it's following the trade period, it would suggest the following prior to trades:

Richmond
Geelong
Port
Brisbane

That matches the AFL ladder after the season - but not sure it helps as it's slightly different because here the higher placed team lost the QF while the 2 higher placed teams wont QF

View attachment 2121195

I've gone back over a few other years, and can't find a similar situation to this year to get a good comparison - lower ranked QF team wins, with both teams from that QF going on to lose their respective PFs

Guessing it's not a situation that comes up very often then
From Zero Hanger
1727235028751.png

So Bailey Smith gets the keys to his new digs from a my mate the Landscaper from Bellbrae this week...
And I see "I can't believe it's not Butter's" seems to have his roots just about to be planted nearby.
GiddyUp Catters!!
So that's why he didn't play the second half of the Qualifying Final!!!!

Smith is a done deal and just waiting on a formal announcement. No change from that in the last few weeks (or more). But the Zac Butters thing seems a bit left field if I'm being 100% honest. Not sure if we might be talking to similar people connected with the club but when I raised the Zac Butters matter I got laughed at and told "not a snowflakes chance".

Unless Butters is buying property for life after football and there's no connection to the GFC. Tom De Koning owns property in Torquay but that doesn't mean he's playing for Geelong next year.

so 2026 then? :p

My dad is a dogs' fan and can't wait to see the back of him due to his apparent drop off after 21'.

He's only 23 ffs.
I'm not sure how welcome I am here but I can't wait to see the back of him, and I know just how good he is - he tore a semi final to shreds at 20 years of age, he's a marketing dream, and is exactly what we need from a pure on-field point of view.

I think he will be fine at Geelong, there will be some that will be happy with the quirks he brings, some not so much. Ultimately him leaving us I think ends up being a win win for everybody.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see contract length being a big issue from Kolo POV as he could just go to Tassie after his next deal with us. Someone previously said the club were concerned about the number of his concussions and maybe that is the sticking point for the club re 2 or 3 years.
I love Kolo but trading him + R1 for Smith + maybe R3 or future pick wouldn’t be so bad IMO.
It’s possibly a year too early but he’s 29 so the future of our defence is
Henry, SDK, COS, Zuthrie, Humphries, and another small like Mullin.
All aged 26 or younger.
In the meantime we have Blics, Stewart, Bews, Atkins and others who can all play back and are pushing for selection.
If Kolo goes we play Blics + SDK in defence who although tall are both very athletic. Then COS to replace Blics in time.
If we only have a 2yr deal in front of him this will be why. He could easily get 3 at the dogs.

Comment on here about rookies requiring trades when OOC or being DFAs - apparently they're only DFA if you offer them an additional rookie contract?

If we're chasing Cillian Burke then likely we offer him a senior contract so that means it required a trade?

Any gurus want to confirm?
I don't think we trade anything with Irish teams.

Could be "not a snowflakes chance" this year.

With Smith coming in, we can't get a deal done for Butters. At least the Clarry rumours come from him being damaged goods, and would therefore be cheap.

Next year though - or 2026 - who knows?

I'm not sure how welcome I am here but I can't wait to see the back of him, and I know just how good he is - he tore a semi final to shreds at 20 years of age, he's a marketing dream, and is exactly what we need from a pure on-field point of view.

I think he will be fine at Geelong, there will be some that will be happy with the quirks he brings, some not so much. Ultimately him leaving us I think ends up being a win win for everybody.

from outside looking in, there seem like some sort of relationship break down. happens to every club now and then. it probably be a good thing for the dogs to not have his distractions going forward.

Always welcome 👍

With 7 spots I’m pretty comfortable now with taking a free hit with Martin

Would be funnier if it was the other Martin
Happy Joel Mchale GIF by ABC Network

It must be said though, how bad are these rumours?

And how much if it is just confirmation bias when he looks like a bit of a FIGJAM on social media?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back