Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

A COUPLE OF OFF-FIELD INCIDENTS IN RECENT WEEKS HAVE PUT CLAYTON OLIVER BACK IN THE TRADE SPOTLIGHT
BY SAM EDMUND 3 MINUTES AGO

A couple of off-field incidents in recent weeks have put Clayton Oliver back in the trade spotlight for the second time in 12 months.

It’s understood Oliver’s recent behaviour has again tested the patience of some teammates, while the club has been disappointed in some things he has not committed to.

Sources have insisted the midfielder is in a far better place than last off-season and was training at the club yesterday, but given the events of a year ago, there are people at Melbourne who have run out of patience with Oliver.

Industry figures confirmed Demons chief executive Gary Pert had sounded out a few clubs over a possible trade for Oliver, who has a very lucrative six years remaining on his contract at Melbourne.

But the issue for the Dees is that rival clubs have made it clear they no longer hold a level of interest in Oliver that would see them part with anything significant in a trade, nor anything significant when it comes to fulfilling his significant contract.

Separately, Oliver also held talks with Geelong officials on Tuesday in a meeting understood to be initiated by the player’s management team.

Melbourne’s coaching staff, led by Simon Goodwin, want to keep Oliver at the club and, while constantly aware of his challenges, are determined to back him in and see him return to his best form in 2025.

The football department is bullish that Oliver, 27, can complete one of the biggest pre-seasons of his career to set a platform for a big 2025 season.

Oliver is a four-time best and fairest winner, triple All-Australian and won a premiership in 2021.

He was last year hit with an ultimatum to lift his standards, with the Demons exasperated by his erratic behaviour.

A COUPLE OF OFF-FIELD INCIDENTS IN RECENT WEEKS HAVE PUT CLAYTON OLIVER BACK IN THE TRADE SPOTLIGHT

A couple of off-field incidents in recent weeks have put Clayton Oliver back in the trade spotlight for the second time in 12 months.

It’s understood Oliver’s recent behaviour has again tested the patience of some teammates, while the club has been disappointed in some things he has not committed to.

Sources have insisted the midfielder is in a far better place than last off-season and was training at the club yesterday, but given the events of a year ago, there are people at Melbourne who have run out of patience with Oliver.

Industry figures confirmed Demons chief executive Gary Pert had sounded out a few clubs over a possible trade for Oliver, who has a very lucrative six years remaining on his contract at Melbourne.

But the issue for the Dees is that rival clubs have made it clear they no longer hold a level of interest in Oliver that would see them part with anything significant in a trade, nor anything significant when it comes to fulfilling his significant contract.

Separately, Oliver also held talks with Geelong officials on Tuesday in a meeting understood to be initiated by the player’s management team.

Melbourne’s coaching staff, led by Simon Goodwin, want to keep Oliver at the club and, while constantly aware of his challenges, are determined to back him in and see him return to his best form in 2025.

The football department is bullish that Oliver, 27, can complete one of the biggest pre-seasons of his career to set a platform for a big 2025 season.

Oliver is a four-time best and fairest winner, triple All-Australian and won a premiership in 2021.

He was last year hit with an ultimatum to lift his standards, with the Demons exasperated by his erratic behaviour.

I will double down on this.

We do not want this guy. He's a complete basketcase.

[emoji[emoji6]][emoji6]" data-quote="Munich" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
I will double down on this.

We do not want this guy. He's a complete basketcase.

If the is headline came out before he met with us I’d be worried. Anything after is likely a PR exercise.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The Dee’s gotta move Oliver on.

He is clearly a massive distraction.

I don’t know if he will get it together for us, the Dees or any club… but surely they have given him enough chances and look like fools holding onto him.

Imagine if they keep him and it all blows up midway during the season.

The issue is the contract and that Oliver holds no trade value because of it.

How can Melbourne hit Oliver with an “ultimatum to lift his standards” lmfao. He’s on a million dollar contract until 2030. What are they threatening him with? Lift your standards or we will have to pay a club to take you off our hands

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't care about headlines or otherwise.

I have heard enough from people who have witnessed his shit first hand.

I’m very aware of his behaviour.

But also aware he grew up a good kid and when he was with his gf he had his head on. Things changed and his behaviour changed.

Behaviour is a function of who a person is multiplied by their environment. MFC culture being environmental multiplier in his case (and others).

I am ridiculously confident a change is what he needs most. Doesn’t need to be Geelong but I’m excited he will get the change he needs.

I’m very aware of his behaviour.

But also aware he grew up a good kid and when he was with his gf he had his head on. Things changed and his behaviour changed.

Behaviour is a function of who a person is multiplied by their environment. MFC culture being environmental multiplier in his case (and others).

I am ridiculously confident a change is what he needs most. Doesn’t need to be Geelong but I’m excited he will get the change he needs.

This.

I’ve mentioned before but I know someone who did functions for the Demons and they said Gawn and Oliver where head and shoulders the nicest 2 people on the team. Something went wrong when he split up with the missus

It’s a bizarre set of circumstances. You have a guy on a massive long term contract who until the last few days thought he was staying at that club only to learn he’s being shopped around. Then the club says publicly he’s a wanted player which is clearly bullshit. Just demonstrates a) how ruthless AFL is and its little wonder many players these days are cynical about the industry they are in AND b) how utterly unprofessional and really incompetent MFC are.

have to agree with this, compare this to the bailey smith to geelong scenario, no one knows, no leaks, no announcements, people still guessing.

geelong just working through things in the shadows.

it gets done when it gets done or not.

If the is headline came out before he met with us I’d be worried. Anything after is likely a PR exercise.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but it's mod curiosity - can I ask what browser you are using to post from or are you using the App on the new Apple IOS?

You've done nothing wrong, just the way you post is showing up and the powers to be are curious what's happening

How can Melbourne hit Oliver with an “ultimatum to lift his standards” lmfao. He’s on a million dollar contract until 2030. What are they threatening him with? Lift your standards or we will have to pay a club to take you off our hands

Could depend on what type of clauses are written into his contract, or if he's deemed to be in breach of their code of conduct it would be a cause for dismissal

A couple of recent off-field incidents, a six-million dollar six-year contract, and reports that other Melb players want him out make Oliver worth a second-round pick only, IMO.

If there's been further off field incidents, a high value contract for 6 years and the club want him out - it sounds more like a situation where Melbourne may be having to pay someone to take him off their hands rather than anyone paying to recruit him

I’ve really cooled on Oliver. Clearly has issues. And at a million a year it’s just not worth the risk.

Yeah I'm with you here. It's very tempting but that contract..

Unless he agrees to tear it up and agree to a new one (extremely unlikely), or the Dee's pay a decent chuck for the next six-years (also unlikely), it's just a bit too difficult and complex.

Dees can't be seen doing a salary dump and offloading him on the cheap IMO. PR disaster.

With everything going on there, I don't know how they sell that to stakeholders / members without significant backlash and members not renewing, resulting in loss of revenue etc.

I think he stays put and the club continues to derail until senior leaders actually admit they have a problem, and then address the internal issues.

On SM-A526B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd rather we go for him than Oliver.
I think a few would too.

‘If’ Geelong decides to recruit Smith + Oliver, would Reidy fit within our salary cap?

Hypothetically?

At what stage does a club take off their business glasses and do what’s best for a players well being. If they think keeping him at the club would mean he keeps spiraling do they say “where do you want to go we will get you there if that’s what will turn your life around”?

Or do they owe nothing to a player that they are paying a million a year to

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back