Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Further off-field incidents. Which obviously occurred given they're shopping him again.

If we're comfortable that he's not going to be cultural poison I'd be ok offering 4 years at average AFL wage (~$500k). No more. And no trade capital. Chances are we can't turn him around so we need the rush to reflect that.

So if Melbourne are happy keeping ~65% of his wage on the books and just want him gone maybe we can come to an arrangement.

Yeah I'm with you here. It's very tempting but that contract..

Unless he agrees to tear it up and agree to a new one (extremely unlikely), or the Dee's pay a decent chuck for the next six-years (also unlikely), it's just a bit too difficult and complex.

Dees can't be seen doing a salary dump and offloading him on the cheap IMO. PR disaster.

With everything going on there, I don't know how they sell that to stakeholders / members without significant backlash and members not renewing, resulting in loss of revenue etc.

I think he stays put and the club continues to derail until senior leaders actually admit they have a problem, and then address the internal issues.

On SM-A526B using BigFooty.com mobile app
If we do get close to landing Oliver it will be at a lower annual contract payment than is currently on the books at Melbourne.

As many have already noted - even if Melbourne only wear $200k pa it still means we're not paying anymore for Oliver than we are for Stengle under his new deal. If someone said we get Oliver onto our list for the same amount we pay Stengle - I think most rational people would back the club to reform the player in a better environment - and make it a win/ win for both parties.

And we perhaps need to think about it from a perspective of Olivers manager and the associated duty of care attached to this scenario. I'm sure they have concerns about the current state of play at Melbourne, and in the case of the player they manage (Oliver) there's a view that it's not the best place for him to remain. Hence why it appears that Connors instigated the meeting with Geelong - not the other way around.

This.

I’ve mentioned before but I know someone who did functions for the Demons and they said Gawn and Oliver where head and shoulders the nicest 2 people on the team. Something went wrong when he split up with the missus

What nonsense.

He was acting out with the missus. In fact, she was there for one of the incidents.

What nonsense.

He was acting out with the missus. In fact, she was there for one of the incidents.
Urrgh such a tease
Girl Love GIF by MOODMAN

I feel like these “recent off field incidents” are just excuses for Melbourne to get him out of the place….or to damage his chances of getting somewhere else so that he stays, i feel like Petracca is driving a lot of this and he’s looked like a royal flog himself the past 3 months, taking everything that comes from that club with a grain of salt, they are all full of shit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we do get close to landing Oliver it will be at a lower annual contract payment than is currently on the books at Melbourne.

As many have already noted - even if Melbourne only wear $200k pa it still means we're not paying anymore for Oliver than we are for Stengle under his new deal. If someone said we get Oliver onto our list for the same amount we pay Stengle - I think most rational people would back the club to reform the player in a better environment - and make it a win/ win for both parties.

And we perhaps need to think about it from a perspective of Olivers manager and the associated duty of care attached to this scenario. I'm sure they have concerns about the current state of play at Melbourne, and in the case of the player they manage (Oliver) there's a view that it's not the best place for him to remain. Hence why it appears that Connors instigated the meeting with Geelong - not the other way around.

Is Stengle on over $1million per season - because Oliver's contract is indexed and he'll be earning upwards of $1.3 million at stages over his remaining 6 years

Urrgh such a tease
Girl Love GIF by MOODMAN

Well the incident with the gf was him sneaking her into the AAMI pool for a skinny dip, then when security found them and confronted, he punched a window in.

This will probably get deleted but this guy is a nutter. Addiction or not it doesn't really matter and we should not be entertaining him in the slightest.

I see nothing credible in the link to Reidy. Is that person even a journo?

I saw that tweet/post last night but haven't seen any other mention of it elsewhere so just left it be

I took it with as having the same validity as Melbourne supports who think that a trade for Oliver will include Holmes, SDK/Dempsey & a F1st

Errr isn't stengle on 700kpa with the extension?

After TPP increases Oliver is on close to double that. Even if Melbourne took on $300k Oliver would still be our highest paid player

Well the incident with the gf was him sneaking her into the AAMI pool for a skinny dip, then when security found them and confronted, he punched a window in.

This will probably get deleted but this guy is a nutter. Addiction or not it doesn't really matter and we should not be entertaining him in the slightest.
That actually doesn't seem that out there. Seems like something a country footy star would do.

I feel like these “recent off field incidents” are just excuses for Melbourne to get him out of the place….or to damage his chances of getting somewhere else so that he stays, i feel like Petracca is driving a lot of this and he’s looked like a royal flog himself the past 3 months, taking everything that comes from that club with a grain of salt, they are all full of shit.
I agree 100%.

This is a smokescreen from the club. Publicly they're pandering to their members and selling the story that the player is the problem and taking no accountability themselves. Saying they won't trade the player in an effort to stop members going nuts. But privately, it's now become obvious that the club is happy to shop Oliver around and get rid of a problem they clearly don't have the requisite skills to manage.

They're trying to avert a bad situation blowing up and becoming a much bigger problem. They've gone to jelly with Petracca and will do anything to stop him leaving - and I've got no doubt that Petracca is trying to call the shots on Oliver being pushed out. Oliver will be collateral damage in all of this and as each day passes his position at that club is becoming untenable.

This is a classic case of deck chairs on the Titanic. Pert has handled recent matters terribly - and Goodwin I believe, is a big part of the problem. Those 2 blokes are becoming so desperate to retain their jobs that I think they'll blow the list (and the culture) up in one foul swoop. They've already lost Neale Bullen - and if Oliver and or Pickett go, I reckon they'll start to turn on each other very quickly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back