Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Well... we've done it again.

PT 2 of Drafting and Trading for the year.

Congrats GFC Board.... we can crap on with the best of them.....

10k posts on this alone and still going.

GO Catters

Last edited:
10000 posts and the Bailey Smith stuff and ruck converstations are barely getting going.

We're gonna need a bigger boat.

richard dreyfuss jaws GIF

well thread space actually.

Have at it.

GO Catters

New thread, new POV:

Bailey Smith is awesome and the answer to our midfield woes.

Surely a late first round pick does the deal... I probably would even want a token late pick back.
Last time we got one of those we turned it into Humphries, I feel every deal needs to have one of those for the recruiters to use.

Would we consider Isaac Cumming from GWS as a Tuohy replacement? Can play wing or half back. He's still only 25.

Would we consider Isaac Cumming from GWS as a Tuohy replacement? Can play wing or half back. He's still only 25.

So is Isaac coming? or just spit balling?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wanting to start by saying I'm a big supporter of recruiting Baz should he pass a physical, but....

Just wondering, if he were on our list this year I worry it would have been to the detriment of some of our kids (The middle of the year where the midfield cupboard was bare aside)

I mean if he were available for us this week I reckon he'd be filling the Clark/Bruhn position thats alot of games those kids would have not been exposed to this year.

The second part to that is who from the current midfield group won't be here next year. I think they'll all be still knocking around, and we can expect that Bruhn, Bowes, Holmes, Clark will all be better next year. Good headache to have, but someone is going to cop the squeeze because we bring him in.

Wanting to start by saying I'm a big supporter of recruiting Baz should he pass a physical, but....

Just wondering, if he were on our list this year I worry it would have been to the detriment of some of our kids (The middle of the year where the midfield cupboard was bare aside)

I mean if he were available for us this week I reckon he'd be filling the Clark/Bruhn position thats alot of games those kids would have not been exposed to this year.

The second part to that is who from the current midfield group won't be here next year. I think they'll all be still knocking around, and we can expect that Bruhn, Bowes, Holmes, Clark will all be better next year. Good headache to have, but someone is going to cop the squeeze because we bring him in.

Bailey Smith is a kid himself, he's 23. Holmes has already moved to the HBF, Smith would likely move Atkins/Danger/Stewart out of the midfield mix.

CATS HOPEFUL OF ADDING ANOTHER IRISHMAN​

GEELONG is in talks to add another talented Irish product to its list, with the club progressing in a move for Kerry star Cillian Burke.

The athletic Irish prospect is renowned as one of Gaelic football's brightest young talents, with the Cats hopeful of tying up a deal for the 22-year-old.

Burke's Gaelic commitments came to an end last weekend, when his Kerry team was defeated by Armagh in the All-Ireland semi-final. But he played a starring role in the side's successful season, recognised as being one of Kerry's best players in its quarter-final victory over Derry.

Kerry's recent exit from the competition will mean that discussions between Geelong and Burke can ramp up, with the 2022 premier hoping to conclude a deal that will see yet another talented Irish prospect land at GMHBA Stadium.

CillianBurke.jpg

Geelong already has Zach Tuohy (Laois), Mark O'Connor (Kerry) and Oisin Mullin (Mayo) on its list, while it has previously secured deals for Padraig Lucey (Killarney) and Stefan Okunbor (Kerry).

The club's signing of Mullin ahead of the 2023 season sent shockwaves through Ireland, with the 182cm prospect considered one of the country's best Gaelic players at the time of his departure.

Clubs have invested significant resources into recruiting in Ireland post-Covid with Carlton (Matt Duffy and Rob Monahan), St Kilda (Liam O'Connell) and Adelaide (Karl Gallagher) all signing Irish talents since the start of last season. – Riley Beveridge

So is Isaac coming? or just spit balling?
Ha I wish I had intel like that!

I just saw he was on the UFA list for this year, and definitely would fill a need. If a couple retire we might have some cap space (I realise Smith is priority number 1).

Smith and Cumming in and my (semi realistic) 2024 wish list would be complete.

Posted this article yesterday, but here's an update on Isaac Cumming - no mention of Geelong

CLUBS HUNT GIANTS FREE AGENT

GREATER Western Sydney has tabled a long-term offer to gun free agent Isaac Cumming, who is weighing up his future amid significant rival interest.

It's understood Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Fremantle and Melbourne are all keen on Cumming, who is one of the hottest unrestricted free agents still available on the market.

Cumming, who has links to South Australia, had been holding off contract talks until he made his return from a series of niggling injuries earlier this year, with discussions now set to ramp up after a successful comeback in recent weeks.

The running half-back, who can also play on the wing, missed the opening portion of the campaign after injuring his calf. He then hurt his hamstring during his recovery, sidelining him until late June.

Port Adelaide – which is in the hunt for Cumming – is among the clubs also chasing his free agent Giants teammate Harry Perryman, with Hawthorn and Essendon others understood to have registered their interest in the defender.

However, the Giants have now upped their offer for Perryman to six years in an attempt to retain him, with a long-term deal also on the table for Cumming following his impressive return from injury in recent weeks.

Both Perryman and Cumming are unrestricted free agents, making them appealing options for rival clubs as the Giants cannot match any opposition bids for their signatures should they choose to leave.

Cumming, who spent close to five months on the sidelines, returned with 14 disposals and a goal against Adelaide last month. He then racked up 19 touches and two goals in an impressive display against Carlton a fortnight ago.

The 25-year-old is a graduate of the Giants Academy and has played 78 games for the club. – Riley Beveridge

I think he's a good, but not great player. So probably depends how much he costs.

Seems like you might have to offer him a longish deal (5 years?) to be competitive with other offers though, which I'd be a little more reluctant to do

I think he's a good, but not great player. So probably depends how much he costs.

Seems like you might have to offer him a longish deal (5 years?) to be competitive with other offers though, which I'd be a little more reluctant to do
I'd say he was right on the verge of becoming a great player (by position) 2021-2022, but injuries/form since then have seen him revert a bit since. But at his age, if he can shake the injuries I could see him giving us something similar or just below what Tuohy did.

No idea about what he's worth on the open market and what would be needed to snatch him away though. No doubt he will be getting fairly juicy offers that we would consider overs.

A lot of cap space is opening up at Geelong over the next two years; similar for Collingwood. It'll be interesting to see if it goes to a few B graders or if we are confident of landing one/two really big fish. I guess based on potential Smith is considered a somewhat sizable fish? But it's not exactly the same as landing Dangerfield or Cameron.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back