Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

No talk on any forums about an ex cat on his way to the Saints...

Matthew Hayball wins an all-Australian dual with Lou Hedley for punter’s spot at New Orleans Saints

There was a guarantee an Australian would be punting for the New Orleans Saints this NFL season and it was a former AFL draftee who took the spot.

Matthew Hayball declared it was “just the start” after winning an all-Australian showdown with incumbent Lou Hedley to win the punter’s spot at the New Orleans Saints a week out from the start of the NFL season.

The former AFL draftee made the final 53-man Saints roster, with Hedley, who held the role last season, the first man to offer his fellow Australian congratulations.

Hayball, who was drafted by Geelong in 2015 as a project player but never played an AFL game, had turned his focus to punting and had a successful time at US college at Vanderbilt.

The 27-year-old signed with the Saints as an undrafted free agent in April and regularly out punted with Hedley throughout training camp and was given the golden ticket on the eve of the new season. .

“There’s always a little bit of anxiety just with the uncertainty,” Hedley said after being told the spot was his.

“It’s bittersweet knowing it was going to be me or Lou. I’m just excited to get the opportunity.

“It’s great but it’s just the start. Now it’s back to work, now the real stuff starts and it’s about how I can help this team win some games.

“It’s great to take this in momentarily but then it’s back to winning football games.”

Hayball conceded he still had things to “clean up” but he knew he was in the right team to further his career.

“I think looking to flip the field, continuing to grow with my consistency there. There are still some things to clean up, but every day I’m trying to get better,” he said.

“I knew I was going to learn and develop quickly here. They have been great at giving undrafted guys an opportunity.

“I felt like this was a great spot to come in and if I could do the right things, I was going to get a good opportunity here.”

Hayball joins a growing list of Australians in the NFL, including stars like Jordan Mailata, and new additions this season, including fellow punter Tory Taylor, who was drafted by the Chicago Bears.

New Orleans will open their NFL season against the Carolina Panthers on September 8.

Via News.com

On the Hayball news that's fantastic for him, but I still don't get what a punter actually does.

Don't they just kick it high and long back to the opposition? I'm sure there's more to it than that, but I can't get my head around that sport.

Hmmmm.... Channel 7 reporting that K. Pickett has flagged a potential move away from Melbourne when he had his end of season chat

He has family connections in both SA & WA - so as much as Melbourne have said he's a required player, he may be another to keep an eye on

No talk on any forums about an ex cat on his way to the Saints...

Matthew Hayball wins an all-Australian dual with Lou Hedley for punter’s spot at New Orleans Saints

There was a guarantee an Australian would be punting for the New Orleans Saints this NFL season and it was a former AFL draftee who took the spot.

Matthew Hayball declared it was “just the start” after winning an all-Australian showdown with incumbent Lou Hedley to win the punter’s spot at the New Orleans Saints a week out from the start of the NFL season.

The former AFL draftee made the final 53-man Saints roster, with Hedley, who held the role last season, the first man to offer his fellow Australian congratulations.

Hayball, who was drafted by Geelong in 2015 as a project player but never played an AFL game, had turned his focus to punting and had a successful time at US college at Vanderbilt.

The 27-year-old signed with the Saints as an undrafted free agent in April and regularly out punted with Hedley throughout training camp and was given the golden ticket on the eve of the new season. .

“There’s always a little bit of anxiety just with the uncertainty,” Hedley said after being told the spot was his.

“It’s bittersweet knowing it was going to be me or Lou. I’m just excited to get the opportunity.

“It’s great but it’s just the start. Now it’s back to work, now the real stuff starts and it’s about how I can help this team win some games.

“It’s great to take this in momentarily but then it’s back to winning football games.”

Hayball conceded he still had things to “clean up” but he knew he was in the right team to further his career.

“I think looking to flip the field, continuing to grow with my consistency there. There are still some things to clean up, but every day I’m trying to get better,” he said.

“I knew I was going to learn and develop quickly here. They have been great at giving undrafted guys an opportunity.

“I felt like this was a great spot to come in and if I could do the right things, I was going to get a good opportunity here.”

Hayball joins a growing list of Australians in the NFL, including stars like Jordan Mailata, and new additions this season, including fellow punter Tory Taylor, who was drafted by the Chicago Bears.

New Orleans will open their NFL season against the Carolina Panthers on September 8.

Via News.com
#thelegendliveson
#waybillfever
#thegiftthatkeepsongiving

Hmmmm.... Channel 7 reporting that K. Pickett has flagged a potential move away from Melbourne when he had his end of season chat

He has family connections in both SA & WA - so as much as Melbourne have said he's a required player, he may be another to keep an eye on
The soldiers over there are abandoning their posts pretty quick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damn...the 2020 and 2021 premiers are both imploding. Hope we're not next, though I'll back our people, systems, and culture over most other clubs.

From waterboy to member of the recruiting staff?

Regardless of what happens & where Reid plays, that's ****ing awesome to see

It would have been easy for him & WCE to say that it wasn't the right time, but instead they've taken a small portion of time from their post match schedule for something that no doubt made Sammy's day

Love it

In no world in he worth pick 6 even under contract let alone 6 at minimum

That is around what we paid for Danger who is a 10 times better player
It is all about the circumstances.

Rioli is contracted... and for a long time.

Suns + Hardwick have absolutely targeted him (we've seen what Harwick has done with TT and Hopper when he wanted them).

Suns really need to get rid of their #6 in case there is a bid placed on Lombard before it (it is a chance).

Suns do not need any more kids...they can give up the world for Rioli and still bring in a guy rated inside the top 10 kids (they are blessed)

Suns need to start winning and winning now as they have never made the finals and pressure will be on Hardwick after getting a mulligan in year 1.

The suns gave us Bowes and #7 for basically nothing to help improve their overall list

Rioli is contracted for years at the Tigers... If the Suns don't cough up then the Tiges can just keep him.. It's on the Suns to come to the party and Richmond know this.

Every circumstance is in the Tigers favour and they will cash in bigtime here (similar will happen with Bolton).

It's not about what Rioli is worth compared to other players and past trades.. It's about the circumstances and GC clearly wanting him bigtime.

It is all about the circumstances.

Rioli is contracted... and for a long time.

Suns + Hardwick have absolutely targeted him (we've seen what Harwick has done with TT and Hopper when he wanted them).

Suns really need to get rid of their #6 in case there is a bid placed on Lombard before it (it is a chance).

Suns do not need any more kids...they can give up the world for Rioli and still bring in a guy rated inside the top 10 kids (they are blessed)

Suns need to start winning and winning now as they have never made the finals and pressure will be on Hardwick after getting a mulligan in year 1.

The suns gave us Bowes and #7 for basically nothing to help improve their overall list

Rioli is contracted for years at the Tigers... If the Suns don't cough up then the Tiges can just keep him.. It's on the Suns to come to the party and Richmond know this.

Every circumstance is in the Tigers favour and they will cash in bigtime here (similar will happen with Bolton).

It's not about what Rioli is worth compared to other players and past trades.. It's about the circumstances and GC clearly wanting him bigtime.

A large reason for their mediocrity is their habit of over paying for nearly ever player they recruit, it started on foundation and probably won't stop until the rules stop handing them picks by the boat load. They gave us pick 8 to get themselves out of salary cap trouble, then they could give pick 6 to get themselves back into it.

Going after a player in those circumstances is such an unforced error. A golden rule of good recruiting is to get more out of a player then you pay to get them. It's Daniel Rioli not Petracca.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back