Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

only assuming they havent extended him end of the year and are letting him going into next year last year of contract

The other way of looking at it - they may try to offer him an extension now, but he's happy to wait 12 months and drive up his price

He signed a 2-year deal last year, not sure he's going to be in a rush to extend his contract until into 2025 and get maximum value from his next deal

The other way of looking at it - they may try to offer him an extension now, but he's happy to wait 12 months and drive up his price

He signed a 2-year deal last year, not sure he's going to be in a rush to extend his contract until into 2025 and get maximum value from his next deal
you probably right, carlton will get a first round compo for tdk youd' think so no point for carlton to accept just one pick this year when they can keep tdk for one more year and if he leaves, they get a compo pick.

Because one will likely cost only a single first round pick and we've been linked to for a couple of years

The other would likely have an asking price of multiple top 10 picks if we were to try and pry him from his current club this season while still under contract

Come trade time next season, we may well have both if LDU is open to moving as a FA and North don't match
Both out of contract aren't they? So both clubs leverage isn't as great. The only thing is north need key position players, smith will cost our first pick, as I said I think it could be a justin murphy signing can't see him embrwcing geelong life like jezza, hawk, Gazza selsy etc even brad Johnson and cooney like it

Both out of contract aren't they? So both clubs leverage isn't as great. The only thing is north need key position players, smith will cost our first pick, as I said I think it could be a justin murphy signing can't see him embrwcing geelong life like jezza, hawk, Gazza selsy etc even brad Johnson and cooney like it

I don't think LDU is until next year, where he becomes a free agent.

There's been rumours about North ready to throw money at Jack Henry, so if that ever become more than just a rumour there'd potentially be an "in". Otherwise we'd be one of 6-7 clubs ready to throw money at LDU next year coming out of contract.

Smith is out of contract and will be a cheaper option - both trade currency & contract wise. And why do you think that Smith wouldn't embrace the Geelong or Surf Coast lifestyle - isn't he very much into sand, surf and sun which is exactly what's on offer in this region?

LDU has 12 months left on his deal until he becomes an RFA - and talk is that North is already willing to stump up significant money to keep him, so could be even harder to pry him out as a FA as they may well match to get maximum value for him. Losing LDU would be a big hit to them, so they would absolutely be pushing for max value, which this year would be a minimum of 2 x first round picks with at least one of them as a top 10

North also need midfielders - their fans are talking about that as the season gets deeper, knowing their season is over & the focus starts to turn towards the trade & draft period, they want to ensure they use their first pick on the best available midfielder in the draft because they feel it's still an area they need depth

Was in warhorse or jumping jack who posted we had interest in him a few months back

Warhorse was the first to mention Nash and link him with a move to us

Assuming Smith is traded to us using our first rounder does anyone see us trying to trade back into the first round? Wells/Mackie aren’t historically averse to doing this.

Could see us trying to use our FF to get back in as we did with Holmes on draft night if the right player is still available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at the stats Nash has been pretty up and down at times this season, who does he displace in our team?

i get the impression that he would long term be seen as a Blicavs replacement - allowing us to keep playing just the 1 recognised ruck, with the extra midfielder around the ball who can then spend a few minutes each quarter in the ruck

This is trading and drafting thread - are we worried about losing any players coming out of contract? It seems like we have secured those we were concerned about coming out in 2024 but what about players with contracts finishing in 2025? Will we be as anxious for anyone as we were about Holmes?

This is trading and drafting thread - are we worried about losing any players coming out of contract? It seems like we have secured those we were concerned about coming out in 2024 but what about players with contracts finishing in 2025? Will we be as anxious for anyone as we were about Holmes?
Holmes and Stengle were the worry, but also low key we do really need to retain Henry and Kolo

Not sure really but given his size I think he takes Blitz on ball minutes and I guess this pushed blitz to retire to the backline?
When I think of Blitz, I think of a player that also is our 2nd ruck.. Nash average 1.2 hitouts a game this year.. which I don't think that's a Blitz as a back up ruck.

wonder if we try to pass the 1st round pick to carlton for tdk if we miss out on smith. carlton may struggle to pay tdk and want to move him a year early before his contract is up.

play tdk at 1st ruck and move sdk back to
I'd prefer TDK to Smith in general if it were an option.

I would be mind-blown if Carlton traded him to us whilst under contract for a mid/late first-rounder.

But we can dream.

Sam Dekoning oof end of 2025. hes the only big one I can think of. young key back, he get plenty of phone calls.

lip service I know but Baz eluding to the admittance of the forced absence of not playing creating an enhanced love for what he cant do right now - play footy - augers well for whomever he ends up with

Go Catters
Feels like someone telling people what they want to hear.

He is pretty good at playing the self promotion game

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back