Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

if you cant see the difference between Trac and Oliver as players and people based on where they both are at now then all I can do is give you OPSM's number to assist in your vision development.

GO Catters

Not debating for a second that Oliver and Trac are in very, very different spots right now.

But it's got nothing to do with where they're at right now. It's about where they were when they signed their respective long term deals. Oliver had just come off a year as the AFLCA MVPA, and was halfway through a year where he won it again. He was rightly considered one of the best players in the league.

The point is, there's risk associated with any long term deal due to form, injury, personal issues etc. And you can argue that certain players are deserving and other not. e.g., if in 2021/22 you were saying that the Petracca contract was ok, but the Oliver one was not, then that's totally fine. But you can't retrospectively say that one contract is ok, but another is not based on where there at NOW. Or argue that all long-term contracts are bad when it's the long-term contract which has essentially protected Melbourne from losing Petracca at all in this instance.

I normally wouldn't bounce into another teams trade board, but I have been informed that Bailey Smith did a medical at the Suns over the last week. I would take it with a grain of salt, I have no intentions to troll what so ever, and find it a little tricky to believe myself, but given he's very clearly linked to you guys, I thought I'd drop it in.

I've been discussing this with friends and work colleagues, but with the number of retirements we're expecting this year there's every chance players who'd probably be in line to be delisted, will be given extensions, just from the fact that cutting them as well will probably require a number of draft picks, and late ones at that, to fill list spots.

Now unless they have some late gems in mind, ala Lawson, or plans to trade heavily with other clubs, it means guys like Foster, Willis, etc could be given a reprieve.

Some very interesting list moves/decisions to come in the next few months.

I normally wouldn't bounce into another teams trade board, but I have been informed that Bailey Smith did a medical at the Suns over the last week. I would take it with a grain of salt, I have no intentions to troll what so ever, and find it a little tricky to believe myself, but given he's very clearly linked to you guys, I thought I'd drop it in.

Be just like the Suns (AFL) to get both Petracca and Smith to the Suns.

You will need to double the trade capital to even get a sniff of Petracca.

We are no shot at him.

He isn't the youngest either.
Who would have the draft capital though? Only a club down the bottom of the ladder who can trade both high draft picks and quality youth. But then we get to your last point, which is a cogent one. He'll be 29 next year so can only expect a few years of good footy from him. That's great for a side that is, or is on the verge of, contending. Maybe a club like North which has been in the wilderness so long they could bear parting with some of their high draft hand now in order to bring in an experienced player like him, but then you couldn't assume he'd be in the side for their next real tilt at a flag.

Ridiculous to sign Oliver up to such an extremely long contract. He was not a generational talent.
Has Geelong ever given a player a 7 year contract? I mean 5 years max.

It makes sense in the context of a premiership run. They couldn't afford to keep the group together, having a 7 year contract allows them to push back paying a player for that long

Jumping Jack ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ridiculous to sign Oliver up to such an extremely long contract. He was not a generational talent.
As per Simon Lloyd a couple years back players signed for first round draft picks in trades and/or 5 year contracts require board approval at Geelong. Rule brought in by Costa and Cook years ago.

Does limit the Gubby Allen, Scott Clayton or SOS rogue list manager exploits.

Dangerfield was a 6-year deal

Cameron was 5-years with a trigger clause for a 6th

But they're very very rare

We've done a few 5-year deals:
Stengle most recently, before that there was Taylor, Blicavs and maybe even Selwood

update - J. Henry with a 5-yr deal announced today

Think Guthrie and Duncan both maxed at 4 years

I'm not dead against long-term deals... 7 years+

Maybe the market these days dictates with certain players that it may need to be done.

I'd sign off on a 7-year deal for LDU as a Free Agent next year in 2.5 seconds.

Oliver + Petracca was up there with the best in the comp... Only issue is, did the Dees know Oliver had "issues" or was Oliver playing well enough to make everything ok for them?

Anyway... it's when guys like Hopper get 7 years you laugh and think "that's trouble".

Petracca would be a Tim Kelly / Jeremey Camerson sized deal that comes with a giant anchor as far as his current contract in concerned. The only clubs with cap space and draft capital would be at the lower end of the ladder and there's no way he'll go somewhere without a good chance of a flag in the next few years.
Or Hawthorn.

News to me but I'll sniff around and see if there's anything to it. Not saying I'd be surprised but it would fall outside the narrative of Smith wanting to stay in Victoria from a football perspective, and also his current sponsorship and business interests outside football.

Always a good bargaining chip to have up your sleeve at the negotiating table when your manager "leaks" that other clubs are taking an interest and medicals are being done.

Keep in mind that we've seen that ourselves over the years with the like of Jade Rawlings and Jake Stringer. Dodged bullets there.

Not debating for a second that Oliver and Trac are in very, very different spots right now.

But it's got nothing to do with where they're at right now. It's about where they were when they signed their respective long term deals. Oliver had just come off a year as the AFLCA MVPA, and was halfway through a year where he won it again. He was rightly considered one of the best players in the league.

The point is, there's risk associated with any long term deal due to form, injury, personal issues etc. And you can argue that certain players are deserving and other not. e.g., if in 2021/22 you were saying that the Petracca contract was ok, but the Oliver one was not, then that's totally fine. But you can't retrospectively say that one contract is ok, but another is not based on where there at NOW. Or argue that all long-term contracts are bad when it's the long-term contract which has essentially protected Melbourne from losing Petracca at all in this instance.

Its absolutely the bolded.
I could not care less where the players were at when they signed their deals. If they earned the big deal then great. God for them.

If the GFC are being linked to either, then its all about who and where they are at now they are being linked to us.

I dont care what Bailey Smith was like 3 years ago. He's had off field issues since and has just done his ACL and combined that with mental health issues - all publicly noted by him.

I dont want the club I support investing deeply based on values from years ago - I want them to pay based on now.
Trac has a much higher value now than the others so yeah id pay more for him.

But its all really irrelevant as Trac is well above what we could offer. And Oliver is a mess. Not touchy there.

Smith OOC so its alittle different but given the listed issues I dont want overpayment.

but yeah... its all about where they are right now.

GO Catters

I hope we have another midfielder we're chasing besides Smith.

Even if he comes, we need to bolster it by more then just 1 player.
I hope we have another midfielder we're chasing besides Smith.

Even if he comes, we need to bolster it by more then just 1 player.
Things can change quickly with player improvements.

We have a very young group of midfielders.

What if max holmes takes the leap next year and becomes a bonafide A grade elite midfielder?? What if Clark becomes a 20 touch a game contested midfielder ?? What if knevitt does the same??

What if bruhn goes to the next level and becomes a A grade contested bull??

A lot of potential improvements, and when you think about it, the losses of the older blokes have already probably occurred this season.

Duncan is already fallen off a cliff, dangerfield can only play a good quarter of footy a game then fades, he is a 15-20 touch impact player on and off.

Blicavs is struggling, and tuohy is only playing half the games and is already being phased out and replaced by Humphries.

Stewart has declined a bit already but will probably still be a good player for a couple more years chugging along.

With smith in the team in 25 and the scope for a huge portion of our team to improve given how young they are, I see a lot of excitement.

Things can change quickly with player improvements.

We have a very young group of midfielders.

What if max holmes takes the leap next year and becomes a bonafide A grade elite midfielder?? What if Clark becomes a 20 touch a game contested midfielder ?? What if knevitt does the same??

What if bruhn goes to the next level and becomes a A grade contested bull??

A lot of potential improvements, and when you think about it, the losses of the older blokes have already probably occurred this season.

Duncan is already fallen off a cliff, dangerfield can only play a good quarter of footy a game then fades, he is a 15-20 touch impact player on and off.

Blicavs is struggling, and tuohy is only playing half the games and is already being phased out and replaced by Humphries.

Stewart has declined a bit already but will probably still be a good player for a couple more years chugging along.

With smith in the team in 25 and the scope for a huge portion of our team to improve given how young they are, I see a lot of excitement.
Absolutely, but I do fear for this board even with that being the case.

We'll be young, quick, and exciting next year, and for years to come.

It's clear that's where Scott is building this young core group towards, particularly with his focus on transition rather than the typical contest & defence (Hi Simon) of a bygone era.

We've seen it this year at times already, and it's only going to be exasperated more next year with more youth and retirements on the way.

Problem is though, with that youth comes inconsistency. We've seen that this year already too.

Harlem Globetrotters one week, insipid the next. It's even happening from quarter to quarter.

Personally, I'm fine with it, and embrace the challenge and the adjustment of expectations that come with a younger group as a supporter.

Without naming names though, there's a few who won't, and will be very quick to label players "spuds" or the results "unacceptable" when we'll just be dealing with the teething issues that come with a younger side.

TLDR: Not everyone is going to be on board, and it won't take long for people to jump off or question the direction, the players, or the coach if things don't all click immediately.

Its absolutely the bolded.
I could not care less where the players were at when they signed their deals. If they earned the big deal then great. God for them.

If the GFC are being linked to either, then its all about who and where they are at now they are being linked to us.

I dont care what Bailey Smith was like 3 years ago. He's had off field issues since and has just done his ACL and combined that with mental health issues - all publicly noted by him.

I dont want the club I support investing deeply based on values from years ago - I want them to pay based on now.
Trac has a much higher value now than the others so yeah id pay more for him.

But its all really irrelevant as Trac is well above what we could offer. And Oliver is a mess. Not touchy there.

Smith OOC so its alittle different but given the listed issues I dont want overpayment.

but yeah... its all about where they are right now.

GO Catters

You do realise you’re contradicting yourself?

Mental health and a missed preseason for Oliver = drop in value.
ACL and doing something dumb for Smith = drop in value.

Spending time in ICU, falling out with his club, which you could spin as attitude problems, looking like he’s nowhere near ready to start training properly and will miss a preseason as an almost 30 year old who came into the league having issues of getting his body right. Always had weight issues in his early years not to mention has an ACL on his record as well = “well above what we could offer”, because “it’s all about where they are right now.”

It’s funny the spin we can put on things. Petracca is a physical mess at the moment. And mentally he’s obviously traumatised by the whole event, too. His trust in his club his gone, trust in his body maybe gone. Who knows if he will be the same player after the severity of these injuries? I have no issue with speculation and cynicism, it just should be balanced.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Absolutely, but I do fear for this board even with that being the case.

We'll be young, quick, and exciting next year, and for years to come.

It's clear that's where Scott is building this young core group towards, particularly with his focus on transition rather than the typical contest & defence (Hi Simon) of a bygone era.

We've seen it this year at times already, and it's only going to be exasperated more next year with more youth and retirements on the way.

Problem is though, with that youth comes inconsistency. We've seen that this year already too.

Harlem Globetrotters one week, insipid the next. It's even happening from quarter to quarter.

Personally, I'm fine with it, and embrace the challenge and the adjustment of expectations that come with a younger group as a supporter.

Without naming names though, there's a few who won't, and will be very quick to label players "spuds" or the results "unacceptable" when we'll just be dealing with the teething issues that come with a younger side.

TLDR: Not everyone is going to be on board, and it won't take long for people to jump off or question the direction, the players, or the coach if things don't all click immediately.
“Pea-heart” is my new favourite term of endearment being thrown around on this board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back