Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Are you a fan of O Henry?? I obviously have a lot of respect for you as a poster and want your thoughts.

I can see his obvious strengths, great overhead mark, has some X factor in the forward half, great leap decent speed and agility.

When he is not clunking a few marks inside fifty, my concern is how little else he has at his disposal to influence a game. What he lacks he lacks in spades.

Almost non existent defensive work and transition help up the field.

Low accumulator also.

I think the talent is obviously there and I would never advocate getting rid of a talent like him. But he has a lot to work on over the offseason
I was happy with what Ollie Henry contributed last year as a marking forward in his 3rd year of football. We weren't a high functioning team either. He had things to work on of course and I saw some solid signs early this season that he was improving: his score involvements, disposals and goal assists for instance were all averaging higher. His direct scoreboard damage and conversion remained high.

Then something happened around the Port game in round 10. He's been completely devoid of confidence, killer instinct and effectiveness since then. So in my eyes he has stalled. At times his defensive work and contesting of aerial balls has been decent but it too quickly falls off.

I'm not ready to call time on him like a baffling amount of people on here seem to want to. Henry has plenty of potential but a whole lot to work on to become a complete player. If he could return to his one wood of kicking plenty of important goals he would still be tracking well. However with that falling off he's in a concerning rut. Losing his clinical set shot conversion is a killer blow to his game if it carries on too much longer.

Almost non existent defensive work and transition help up the field.
This is the issue. He is unable to effectively work up the ground. He needs to improve his endurance and ability to find the ground ball so he can work up the field when matched on a taller player. At the moment if he is matched for height he gets completely bent over in the forward 50

This is the issue. He is unable to effectively work up the ground. He needs to improve his endurance and ability to find the ground ball so he can work up the field when matched on a taller player. At the moment if he is matched for height he gets completely bent over in the forward 50
His only 22yo, so if he puts in a huge pre season he can improve on this.

If he can build a big aerobic tank working up and down the field all day long with his skill sets he will become a star of the game.

If he remains a sit inside fifty lead and mark player and doesn’t want to work towards anything else, then he will just stay the player he is

Calder... if you want Oliver, what in picks would we have to give up?
I actually don’t think it’s possible to form an opinion of it.
No way GFC would take on his entire contract so makes things difficult to judge.

Also depends if he wants out and they want him out

Who are the midfielders performing at a high level but not getting a go at other sides.

Ones I see are
Will Brodie, Fin McRae, Devon Robertson, Ryley Sanders, Will Phillips, Jarryd Lyons, Hugh Greenwood are any of these worth looking at for a lifeline?

Who are the midfielders performing at a high level but not getting a go at other sides.

Ones I see are
Will Brodie, Fin McRae, Devon Robertson, Ryley Sanders, Will Phillips, Jarryd Lyons, Hugh Greenwood are any of these worth looking at for a lifeline?
Of all the suggestions ever thrown out in the players trading, drafting, rumours wish list series, Hugh Greenwood is the worst one that’s ever been uttered. Congratulations

I actually don’t think it’s possible to form an opinion of it.
No way GFC would take on his entire contract so makes things difficult to judge.

Also depends if he wants out and they want him out
I'm so glad Geelong haven't and don't do any contract more then 5 years... 5 years maximum for a star like Dangerfield, Cameron.
Anything more then that is dangerous for clubs
Eg Collingwood, Trealor, Grundy
Melbourne, Oliver
Etc

Ones I see are

Clohesy and Clark have played at a higher level than most of those in their second season (first full season for Clark) this year.

We need to let our young players develop and improve not put c-grade battlers in their way. Sanders is clearly a good young player though won't be gettable. The rest are a hard pass.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Defence has been horrible this year but in the first half when our pressure was up and they were just bombing it in they were intercepting everything.

Second half showed just how shit our midfield is and it it affects the rest of our game.

We NEED hard edged midfielders who actually want to win the ball and can deliver it forward.
Our worst defensive efforts come off the back of little midfield pressure. Kolo and JHenry looked amazing for the first half, when the mids let the floodgates open its easy to pick them apart. Not the defenses fault on that one.

Clohesy and Clark have played at a higher level than most of those in their second season (first full season for Clark) this year.

We need to let our young players develop and improve not put c-grade battlers in their way. Sanders is clearly a good young player though won't be gettable. The rest are a hard pass.

We are in a bizarre situation because the club should not be sitting where they currently are. Solid backline. Excellent forwards but a very inexperienced midfield. Holmes, Clark, Bruhn, Knevitt, all need 2-3 years together at senior level before we start seeing consistency.

Unfortunately, two of the truly great players of their position (Cameron & Stewart), will not be around then.

Of all the suggestions ever thrown out in the players trading, drafting, rumours wish list series, Hugh Greenwood is the worst one that’s ever been uttered. Congratulations
Plenty here would do a straight swap for OHenry by the sounds of things.

Ones I see are

Greenwood and lyons will retire.
Wbd will never let sanders go and if he goes it will be to tas.
Brodie doesnt have the endurance for afl.

Robertson would be worth a go cheap but probably goes back to the eagles.
I wouldnt mind macrae if cheap.i also dont mind joe richards.
Davies is the one i really want and would be cheap given contract status.
I would like erasmus but i doubt he would leave WA.
Im not against angwin but only if hes cheap. Same on phillips.
I would absolutely love josh ward but the hawks would want too much to let him go (they wouldnt do a cheap stephens type deal).
Sheldrick id be keen on if hes prepared to come to vic.

Henry double-teamed every week? Come on man.
What do you suppose happens to the third tall when Hawkins goes out?

Henry's received much more attention from defences than he's used to. It's going to take some time for him and the team to adjust to that - his positioning and their delivery will adjust.

I'm so glad Geelong haven't and don't do any contract more then 5 years... 5 years maximum for a star like Dangerfield, Cameron.
Anything more then that is dangerous for clubs
Eg Collingwood, Trealor, Grundy
Melbourne, Oliver
Etc
Richmond, Taranto, Hopper
Bulldogs, Naughton etc (you know it's going to blow up in their faces)

Oh the irony.

Trac also has 5 years left on his contract. Or do you just not like ‘long 4+ year deals’ when you don’t rate the player in question?
if you cant see the difference between Trac and Oliver as players and people based on where they both are at now then all I can do is give you OPSM's number to assist in your vision development.

GO Catters

Yeah maybe. let's hope it works out with COS Mannagh and most of all OlliePeaHeart.
Needs a big preseason on the track with a big engine and some extra strength.
Giving me the Mitchell Brown heebeegeebees with a lack of application off field which is magnified on field.
Fingers crossed.
The Ollie Pea heart shit is lame

Bloke contests hard in marking contests - not pea hearted at all.

Fair to want to see more defensively in F50 - I would too - but hes doing ok. Pea heart is cheap couch warrior shit

GO CAtters

LOL.
The funny thing is.
I actually drive the Train. Hehehe.
But back on the subject of OH.
I stand by my views.
I have watched him since his junior days and nothing has changed.
Its a good thing you have to follow a pre determined path as when you go off on your own pea hearted Henry path its gets wooly and unattractive.

GO Catters

The Ollie Pea heart shit is lame

Bloke contests hard in marking contests - not pea hearted at all.

Fair to want to see more defensively in F50 - I would too - but hes doing ok. Pea heart is cheap couch warrior shit

GO CAtters
A weeks a long time, wouldn’t have beaten Freo without him, easy target.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back