Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

I know we are pretty upfront publicly with how much we rate Conway long-term. But if you are a fringe ruck in any team (e.g., Bryan), we would have to be the most appealing option of any club. Bryan would have played at least a dozen games for us this year, and Stanley won't be here next year which makes it even more appealing.
There has been interest in Nick Bryan for some time however we would need to sell the idea of two rucks.
Nick rates Toby so knows that he may end up behind him in selection if fit and he wants to be playing AFL.
Four weeks ago he wanted to move but things may have changed as now he is getting games.

Do we actually know for sure that Rhys won’t go around next year..? Form & Fitness would suggest he’d be offered a contract surely..?

He wanted to retire at the end of last season

His form mid-year wasn't great and he was being managed due to his knee issue throughout the seasons

It's also been suggested that he's informed teammates it'll be his last year but he hasn't made it public yet

There has been interest in Nick Bryan for some time however we would need to sell the idea of two rucks.
Nick rates Toby so knows that he may end up behind him in selection if fit and he wants to be playing AFL.
Four weeks ago he wanted to move but things may have changed as now he is getting games.
I don't think you have to sell the idea of two rucks at all. We may rate Conway, but I can't think of a club which would be easier to get games as a ruck currently than us. So, if he wants to be playing AFL, we'd be an obvious choice.

He might end up behind Conway long term, but if Bryan isn't backing himself to get picked next year with us and make that spot his, surely he won't be backing himself to get games anywhere.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Bryan or Davies and going to be superstars. But coming into a team that finished top 4 they can have a positive impact. They are worth 2nd round picks. (This year, next year.)

Davies is quite big. The likes of Atkins, Bruhn, Clark and Clohesy are all relatively small and similar sized. It immediately makes him more valuable for Geelong. He is also likely to fit into what we can afford.

Bryan I think could play a type Blitz roll so can be played with Conway. He can also be the only Ruck if necessary. Once again, nobody thinks he is Max Gawn, but Maxey doesn't fit into our budget. Rhys produced an excellent example of what a competitive Ruck can do for us last week, but only against WC. We need 3 repeats against much better opposition in September. Then an answer for next year.

Battle confirmed going to Hawks... Probably pushes our R1 back another spot.

After bids for Ashcroft, Lombard and possibly Kako + band 1 comp to the Aints... at worst our R1 pick is looking like being 16+.

If we can get Smith for our R1 alone I'm happy with that... Unsure if that is enough now.

I was always confident if our pick would end up 12ish that it was plenty... but 16+ is real iffy draft selection territory.

Can't say looking at Davies stats fills me with much confidence.

about 20 touches and 7 tackles per game in the VFL.

Barely hits the scoreboard in VFL or AFL.
Barely takes a contested grab for a guy that is 6'3.
Low score involvements.

16/17 touches per game and 7 tackles looks about his level in the AFL and whilst not terrible... 16/17 touches at the Suns where all those mids rack them up is more like 13/14 touches for us.

4 years in the system and has only gone past 30 in the VFL twice in 37 games.

Guys like Clark and Clohesy are putting up better stats in only their 2nd year.
Knevitt is putting up similar numbers in his 3rd year and he has a stack of question marks about him.

For a token pick and minimum chips Davies could be worth a spot for sure as a fringe type that maybe could blossom.

I can't say with any confidence that he would ever be in our best team.

It’s his size, age and tackling that makes him stand out. 193cm gives us a genuine big bodied mid. He hits the content at full speed. He is only 22 and can be developed still. Gold Coast have Rowell inside already doing a lot of contested work, they can’t get the mix right.

Yeah, he’s not a massive accumulator and he lacks the burst. He’s never going to be a superstar. But I feel he could be a very important cog in our midfield. For next year a mix of Davies with Bruhn/Smith/Danger bursting out of the front of the pack, makes a lot of sense. Hopefully Clark too.

I can see the reservations when looking at stats but Smith is a guy who can average 30 touches a game. He alleviates that need and I guess that’s why we are chasing a Tsatas/Garcia type as well. We must believe we need an accumulator type to win the footy and keep it out of opposition midfielder’s hands. Something guys like Atkins (who I love as a player) haven’t been able to do this year and as a result our defence gets exposed.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Angwin would be a good acquisition
Tsatas is an interesting one.
Was told Dons are shopping him
he is not a contested player and disposal is below standard. Having said that he does know how to find the footy.
Can't see Bombers shopping Tsatas, unless they want a lot... gets the pill a lot in the VFL, and isn't that bad, a lot of upside still.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick from Essendon I presume.
203cm but very slender in build.

Is Bryan a ready to go ruckman though? That's what I don't get.
Looks ready to go imho... Looked much bigger this season, is tipping the scales around 102kgs now. Had terrific stats in the VFL this year. He probably could get to 103-105kgs without affecting his mobility. He's not a gun though, more like dependable back up. Conway would be better, but I don't think he will be durable, so we need someone. But he's probably a similar type to Edwards, except I think Edwards if fit has higher upside but is probably 2-3 years away anyway.

Picks 13+14 are gone on Lombard and Ashcroft so those don’t affect us unless they trade back of course. So it’s still gonna be the 16th best AVAILABLE player as it always is. After all those two aren’t on the table to begin with.

After bids for Ashcroft, Lombard and possibly Kako + band 1 comp to the Aints... at worst our R1 pick is looking like being 16+.

If we can get Smith for our R1 alone I'm happy with that... Unsure if that is enough now.

I was always confident if our pick would end up 12ish that it was plenty... but 16+ is real iffy draft selection territory.

Picks 13+14 are gone on Lombard and Ashcroft so those don’t affect us unless they trade back of course. So it’s still gonna be the 16th best AVAILABLE player as it always is. After all those two aren’t on the table to begin with.
I'm hearing what you are saying... I'm assuming GC and the Lions trade those picks back for multiple selections that = more points.

The system has always been rorted that way... I doubt it changes here.

Smith will end up costing us our first and either our second or future second

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Bryan or Davies and going to be superstars. But coming into a team that finished top 4 they can have a positive impact. They are worth 2nd round picks. (This year, next year.)

Davies is not worth anywhere near a second rounder. He's OOC and struggling to get game time at a club that comfortably missed the 8. His VFL performances have been underwhelming.

What would Clohesy or Knevitt (if he was OOC) be worth if they wanted to leave? Basically nothing.

If we're interested in Davies then we convince him to nominate us and get him for pick 60+.

Can't say looking at Davies stats fills me with much confidence.

about 20 touches and 7 tackles per game in the VFL.

Barely hits the scoreboard in VFL or AFL.
Barely takes a contested grab for a guy that is 6'3.
Low score involvements.

16/17 touches per game and 7 tackles looks about his level in the AFL and whilst not terrible... 16/17 touches at the Suns where all those mids rack them up is more like 13/14 touches for us.

4 years in the system and has only gone past 30 in the VFL twice in 37 games.

Guys like Clark and Clohesy are putting up better stats in only their 2nd year.
Knevitt is putting up similar numbers in his 3rd year and he has a stack of question marks about him.

For a token pick and minimum chips Davies could be worth a spot for sure as a fringe type that maybe could blossom.

I can't say with any confidence that he would ever be in our best team.
Yeah I think it's just cheap throw at the stumps. Right age, right position, flashes of brilliance. 2-3 year cheap contract for a third rounder and if it doesn't work then no harm no foul.

Better than drafting a kid with a third and throwing him to the wolves

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back