Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

I cannot see it happening on a number of fronts:
  1. He is clearly cultural poison. It really just does take one bad apple - and, ironically, the better at football they are, the worse, due to the influence on others.
  2. He can only play one position. Historically, Geelong has really shied away from midfielders who can only play inside midfield - Joel Selwood is really the only exception to this.
  3. We do not have the trade capital.
Given his contract I would expect Melbourne would lack the trade capital to get rid of him.

I cannot see it happening on a number of fronts:
  1. He is clearly cultural poison. It really just does take one bad apple - and, ironically, the better at football they are, the worse, due to the influence on others.
  2. He can only play one position. Historically, Geelong has really shied away from midfielders who can only play inside midfield - Joel Selwood is really the only exception to this.
  3. We do not have the trade capital.
Bruhn can only play one position

Ok, so had a long night at a fantastic Greek restaurant Kafenion. Highly recommend.

Nothing groundbreaking from things I was told tonight.

Smith = as big a lock as you can get.

The most interesting part was that the Waterman interest is real. Very real. Something will come out soon with his contract. Most likely to re-sign soon but he is wanted and as it drags on, it could become a big story post season.

Was told there is zero interest in Stringer.

I know nobody else is talking about it but he is sure we are still courting Oliver.

Tsatas and Macrae’s names come up again but it sounds tepid, fall back options if other names don’t come off.

Still no Peatling news, which saddens me.

The big point he made is right now we are keeping a low profile and keeping any big stories and news quiet and attention off of us to keep focussed for finals. He said around the club morale is high. Energy feels on and there’s a real belief. Not to sound corny but this has me more excited than anything else I heard tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I was told the opposite about Waterman

How could we trade for Waterman even if he wanted to get to us?

Assuming our R1 this year goes for Smith (plus possibly more).

Our R1 next year wouldn't be enough to land Waterman.

We'd need to trade away something other than our picks.

It looks like a very hard task to my eye.

Bruhn can only play one position
Bruhn/Clark are two who may only be pure mids, I think we can work around that in years to come. Smith may be along similar lines but I think they’re not the worst over the next decade with others we can run through the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How could we trade for Waterman even if he wanted to get to us?

Assuming our R1 this year goes for Smith (plus possibly more).

Our R1 next year wouldn't be enough to land Waterman.

We'd need to trade away something other than our picks.

It looks like a very hard task to my eye.
His a RFA next year

Thanks for sharing all the news, but the best part of that is the energy/morale in the club. Players and trades are fun, but playing finals and winning flags is the end goal and we're two good games away from hoisting another one!
To snag one this year when most expected us to fall in the bottom 8 would be huge. The way the young guys are developing and then to bring in Smith, who's a known professional when it comes to training/preparation and getting his rig right. Can only hope that rubs off on to the younger guys. Excited for the next few years.

His a RFA next year
That is at the end of next year... He is still contracted for next year with WC (unless I have completely mixed something up).

So he has just made the AA team and is contracted for one more year.

WC would need to be offered plenty to trade him and we don't look like having nearly enough with Smith incoming.

That is at the end of next year... He is still contracted for next year with WC (unless I have completely mixed something up).

So he has just made the AA team and is contracted for one more year.

WC would need to be offered plenty to trade him and we don't look like having nearly enough with Smith incoming.
They weren't talking about getting him this year?

for the boys and girls that have their heads on the ground, anyone confirm a phone call to jack steele manager?

I don't get much info but can definitely confirm the interest in Waterman is real!
but it will be a thanks but no thanks scenario
There was some tension over Jake's illness and how West Coast reacted but that has been mended as evidenced by his current form.
Waterman's are WC royalty but the family is smart so wouldn't surprise me to create some commercial tension by looking around......

I thought Waterman had already signed an extension?

Geeze he impressed me the last round though, the 2nd half he was the literal reason they didn't get further wiped off the face of the earth IMO

Waterman / Stringer / Oliver

I can categorically put a line through all of those names and save us all some time.

I already put a line through Stringer in my post that you referenced so a little odd you flexed on me with that name.

I would like to know what you’re hearing about Oliver?

And you believe Geelong has no interest in Waterman? That goes strongly against what I’ve been told. Also, remember in my post I said most likely news comes out he re-signs soon…

I already put a line through Stringer in my post that you referenced so a little odd you flexed on me with that name.

I would like to know what you’re hearing about Oliver?

And you believe Geelong has no interest in Waterman? That goes strongly against what I’ve been told. Also, remember in my post I said most likely news comes out he re-signs soon…
Are you talking about interest in trading for him this year or just interested in telling him not to extend with WC because we might be keen on him next year?

I'd think almost every team would be happy for him to hold off re-signing and become an FA next year... so I don't count that as true interest.

If the interest is for trading for him this year... I don't understand how we could possibly offer WC enough for them to trade him while he is under contract.

The math doesn't math for me on that one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back