Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Posted this on the Bailey Smith thread but figured I’d ask better minds than mine what they think.

Just looking at ideas here to get this deal done

Cats effectively trade their 2024 1st (roughly pick 16-22) and the 2024 2nd and 3rd rounders for Gold Coast’s Pick 12 (which was the Dogs original pick in this draft) as they don’t want it sucked up by Academy Bid on Lombard and then GC have effectively their own Pick 6 plus the 2024 Cats First, Second and Third rounders for points this year on Lombard?

Cats then offer Gold Coast’s (realistically the Doggies) 2024 Pick for Smith?

Doggies get back into this draft with a pretty good 1st rounder

Cats get Smith

Gold Coast get points galore for Lombard while also protecting themselves from losing their other first rounder from an early bid. So they can still have effectively two first rounders this year.

Thoughts?
I think you are falling into overrating the player. Also need to remember we are likely to need to fill 5-7 list spots. Smith would be 1 still leaves us needing to fill 4-6.

I think you are falling into overrating the player. Also need to remember we are likely to need to fill 5-7 list spots. Smith would be 1 still leaves us needing to fill 4-6.

I rate Smith higher than a lot of people here, i don't think he's worth two firsts as he's OOC and hasn't played in twelve months but i'm just trying to gain an idea of what would work.

Plus my trade results in us not giving up futures. And we'll still have picks later in the deep 2024 draft to fill spots, you get as many picks as required that will come in late. Not to mention there would still be Rookie Draft as well.

Last edited:

Yeah don't get me wrong i'm not saying doing the nuclear option is the right move, hence it being the nuclear option.
I'm just saying there's certain clubs you know where you stand. A club like Geelong loves to get the deal done. There's clubs we've dealt with that while they haggle, they'll do what's right and make the deal in the end. Some might have a whinge eg Power, GWS but they'll still get the deal done.

I don't trust the Dogs at all with everything going on with outside scrutiny coming from media about performance, list management, coaching, players leaving and disgruntled, culture issues etc etc.....Plus with the way Smith has carried on over social media about his treatment with the "two sides to a story" post that Sam Power and Co don't just go,

"**** it, good luck in the Draft Baz you mug"

I would trust Geelong to get a deal done that is good for both parties, i don't trust them one iota to do the deal.
There's a difference between being difficult to deal with and behaving like a toddler, though. That's where I think any threat of the nuclear option becomes nothing more than a rather weak bluffing technique at the trade table these days.

Any club in modern footy that is prepared to actively cruel their own list management strategy simply for spite belongs in a suburban league, at best. So I just can't see the custodians of a club in the elite national competition being that juvenile and that desperate to sabotage their own prospects for success.

There's a difference between being difficult to deal with and behaving like a toddler, though. That's where I think any threat of the nuclear option becomes nothing more than a rather weak bluffing technique at the trade table these days.

Any club in modern footy that is prepared to actively cruel their own list management simply for spite belongs in a suburban league, at best. So I just can't see the custodians of a club in the elite national competition being that juvenile and that desperate to sabotage their own prospects for success.

You'd hope that they'd come to the table in the end with a bit of maturity, it is a business after all. I have complete faith in Wells and MackAttack getting it done. i just have reservations about certain clubs and the way they are run. I would trust a Sydney or a Brisbane to do it right. West Coast and Pies would get it done.
Others I don't trust at all. Essendon when they had DoDo is someone i could see being silly about it although Rosa seems much more mature. What do with know with Sam Power? Is he all talk?

I personally would totally call their bluff and stick to what we offer and if they don't budge then let them screw themselves.
It has big ramification on Bailey, Bailey's agent and piss off the Players Union all in the process of making themselves look silly lol

You'd hope that they'd come to the table in the end with a bit of maturity, it is a business after all. I have complete faith in Wells and MackAttack getting it done. i just have reservations about certain clubs and the way they are run. I would trust a Sydney or a Brisbane to do it right. West Coast and Pies would get it done.
Others I don't trust at all. Essendon when they had DoDo is someone i could see being silly about it although Rosa seems much more mature. What do with know with Sam Power? Is he all talk?

I personally would totally call their bluff and stick to what we offer and if they don't budge then let them screw themselves.
It has big ramification on Bailey, Bailey's agent and piss off the Players Union all in the process of making themselves look silly lol
I still believe Geelong will be the adult through it all and will eventually give up more than we think is fair to ensure the deal gets done. The Dogs will then celebrate their 'victory' and Bailey and the Cats will walk away as the real winners.

#itshowweroll
#justlikethejezstory
#stayclassygeelong

Re Jerenmy Cameron who has been excellent for Geel ( crucial in the 22 flag ) , the GWS Chairman stood his ground and got some good picks for him

Question , did GWS hit paydirt with any of those picks

I think they drafted Tanner Bruhn with one of them lol

From an article on Macrae and him not joining Geelong:

Half-back Duncan appears likely to secure a one-year deal, even with talks on pause until the end of Geelong’s finals campaign.

The two-time flag winner has played 21 games for the Cats this year and while his numbers have dipped slightly, is still well regarded in the club for his calm ball use.

Duncan sits on 295 games and will need to play on next year to become the seventh Geelong player to hit 300 games.

With Tom Hawkins to retire at the end of this season, Duncan would be the only player left who pre-dates coach Chris Scott’s arrival at Geelong before the 2011 season.

Veterans Gary Rohan, Jed Bews and Rhys Stanley join Duncan in being off-contract at the end of this year, while Zach Tuohy will also retire.

Skipper Patrick Dangerfield also needs a new deal, which is expected to be nutted out once the Cats finish their season.

Midfielder Brandan Parfitt will be on the hunt for a new home.

I posted my thoughts in another thread on Duncan but i see him playing at most 15 games next year as he and the club slowly transition him out of the 22/23 for Knevitt/Clark/Clohesy etc

Posted this on the Bailey Smith thread but figured I’d ask better minds than mine what they think.

Just looking at ideas here to get this deal done

Cats effectively trade their 2024 1st (roughly pick 16-22) and the 2024 2nd and 3rd rounders for Gold Coast’s Pick 12 (which was the Dogs original pick in this draft) as they don’t want it sucked up by Academy Bid on Lombard and then GC have effectively their own Pick 6 plus the 2024 Cats First, Second and Third rounders for points this year on Lombard?

Cats then offer Gold Coast’s (realistically the Doggies) 2024 Pick for Smith?

Doggies get back into this draft with a pretty good 1st rounder

Cats get Smith

Gold Coast get points galore for Lombard while also protecting themselves from losing their other first rounder from an early bid. So they can still have effectively two first rounders this year.

Thoughts?
Swap the 2024 second to a future second and maybe it works as we aren't going to completely trade out of this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re Jerenmy Cameron who has been excellent for Geel ( crucial in the 22 flag ) , the GWS Chairman stood his ground and got some good picks for him

Bruhn wasn't one of them. They picked him with the compo pick they got for Zac Williams leaving.

The 3 picks we gave up were Connor Stone, Ryan Angwin and Brayden Cook (Adelaide).

Which sounds like a pretty bad result for GWS.

But Adelaide got that pick from Collingwood. And Collingwood got that pick from GWS as the main pick for giving up their future first. That ended up being Callaghan when Collingwood tumbled down the ladder so I reckon GWS would be happy enough with that.

Ok, so had a long night at a fantastic Greek restaurant Kafenion. Highly recommend.

Nothing groundbreaking from things I was told tonight.

Smith = as big a lock as you can get.

The most interesting part was that the Waterman interest is real. Very real. Something will come out soon with his contract. Most likely to re-sign soon but he is wanted and as it drags on, it could become a big story post season.

Was told there is zero interest in Stringer.

I know nobody else is talking about it but he is sure we are still courting Oliver.

Tsatas and Macrae’s names come up again but it sounds tepid, fall back options if other names don’t come off.

Still no Peatling news, which saddens me.

The big point he made is right now we are keeping a low profile and keeping any big stories and news quiet and attention off of us to keep focussed for finals. He said around the club morale is high. Energy feels on and there’s a real belief. Not to sound corny but this has me more excited than anything else I heard tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Waterman is just using us to get a 4 or 5 year deal at wce which he will get in next few weeks.

I like the rest of your post.

No because 2 of the picks were stone and angwin.
The 3rd they traded as part of a deal for pies future 1st though and then pies finished 2nd bottom So it became callaghan 😂 silly pies

How does it get done then? Genuinely curious cause Doggies don't reckon our first is anywhere near enough.
And you don't want to start giving up all our future picks, we saw what a down year did to Pies.
They're now desperate with no first rounder and an-aging list. We are not immune to doing the same if things go wrong even though we have a lot of young talent coming through.

Its very simple.

You offer the dogs our current r1 plus fr2. Give them 3 days to take it.
If they dont you trade the fr2 elswhere (like we did with henry) which locks the fr1.
You then offer current r1 plus r3 and wait until the end of trade period. They will accept as no choice.

This assumes none of our fringe players want to go to the dogs.

I heard that Geelong is into Joshua Draper from Freo. Not my most reliable source though

Thats a very interesting one because he signed an extension a couple of months ago.
But we do need to a look for a kpd and even more if sdk is rucking a bit.

I find it a little boring the Bailey smith trade value talk.

A lot of the time there is a miss match in what the losing player club wants and what the receiving club has to give.

However in the Bailey smith example it is so clear on the value by most reasonable football watchers.

That is a first round this year + a second (suspect it’d be a future second as we wouldn’t want to completely trade out of this draft and dogs need points next year.

Anyone disagreeing with the above is kidding themselves.

I expect a lot of chest beating from both clubs (cats will offer just our first, dogs will demand 2 x firsts) but it’ll end up s first + a second. Potentially some minor pick swaps.

First round 2024 and F2 is fair I think for Smith.

I think deleting/retirements will be : Hawk, Tuohy, Stanley and Parfit

Incoming : Smith, Rd2, Rd3, Rd4

Others in jeopardy on the main list are Foster and Willis. Maybe we delist one of those and upgrade Clohesy?

Waterman is just using us to get a 4 or 5 year deal at wce which he will get in next few weeks.

I like the rest of your post.

Most likely he will get the contract from West Coast and soon but if things become disruptive surrounding a new coach etc. all I know is what I’ve been told that we are really into him. No idea what his side looks like and you’re probably right, he’s just leveraging a fat payday, but Geelong do want him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back