Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

for the boys and girls that have their heads on the ground, anyone confirm a phone call to jack steele manager?

Haven’t heard anything about it. Would be all for it though.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

From an article on Macrae and him not joining Geelong:

Half-back Duncan appears likely to secure a one-year deal, even with talks on pause until the end of Geelong’s finals campaign.

The two-time flag winner has played 21 games for the Cats this year and while his numbers have dipped slightly, is still well regarded in the club for his calm ball use.

Duncan sits on 295 games and will need to play on next year to become the seventh Geelong player to hit 300 games.

With Tom Hawkins to retire at the end of this season, Duncan would be the only player left who pre-dates coach Chris Scott’s arrival at Geelong before the 2011 season.

Veterans Gary Rohan, Jed Bews and Rhys Stanley join Duncan in being off-contract at the end of this year, while Zach Tuohy will also retire.

Skipper Patrick Dangerfield also needs a new deal, which is expected to be nutted out once the Cats finish their season.

Midfielder Brandan Parfitt will be on the hunt for a new home.

Posted this on the Bailey Smith thread but figured I’d ask better minds than mine what they think.

Just looking at ideas here to get this deal done

Cats effectively trade their 2024 1st (roughly pick 16-22) and the 2024 2nd and 3rd rounders for Gold Coast’s Pick 12 (which was the Dogs original pick in this draft) as they don’t want it sucked up by Academy Bid on Lombard and then GC have effectively their own Pick 6 plus the 2024 Cats First, Second and Third rounders for points this year on Lombard?

Cats then offer Gold Coast’s (realistically the Doggies) 2024 Pick for Smith?

Doggies get back into this draft with a pretty good 1st rounder

Cats get Smith

Gold Coast get points galore for Lombard while also protecting themselves from losing their other first rounder from an early bid. So they can still have effectively two first rounders this year.

Thoughts?

I already put a line through Stringer in my post that you referenced so a little odd you flexed on me with that name.

I would like to know what you’re hearing about Oliver?

And you believe Geelong has no interest in Waterman? That goes strongly against what I’ve been told. Also, remember in my post I said most likely news comes out he re-signs soon…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Nah I didn't think I was flexing. Just grouping a response on what I'd heard about all three players. I don't sift through all posts in detail so apologies if I gave the impression I was flexing.

Re Smith , i couldnt careless either way whether he joins Geel or he doesnt , given his playing resume to date

The question beckons , is there another Max Holmes in this upcoming draft

The recruitment of Holmes was outstanding recruiting from Geel , from memory they did some draft swap or deal with Richmond , which got Geel that pick a year earlier or something , and i think it was only a pick around 20 , and with his family with the athletics background and the whole lot , absolute gun , 10 coaches votes against Port in that finals demolition , and how good is he to watch , good players with that blistering speed are just match winners

Posted this on the Bailey Smith thread but figured I’d ask better minds than mine what they think.

Just looking at ideas here to get this deal done

Cats effectively trade their 2024 1st (roughly pick 16-22) and the 2024 2nd and 3rd rounders for Gold Coast’s Pick 12 (which was the Dogs original pick in this draft) as they don’t want it sucked up by Academy Bid on Lombard and then GC have effectively their own Pick 6 plus the 2024 Cats First, Second and Third rounders for points this year on Lombard?

Cats then offer Gold Coast’s (realistically the Doggies) 2024 Pick for Smith?

Doggies get back into this draft with a pretty good 1st rounder

Cats get Smith

Gold Coast get points galore for Lombard while also protecting themselves from losing their other first rounder from an early bid. So they can still have effectively two first rounders this year.

Thoughts?

Doubt we’d trade completely out of this years draft for one player.

Re Smith , i couldnt careless either way whether he joins Geel or he doesnt , given his playing resume to date

The recruitment of Holmes was outstanding recruiting from Geel , from memory they did some draft swap or deal with Richmond , which got Geel that pick a year earlier or something , and i think it was only a pick around 20 , and with his family with the athletics background and the whole lot , absolute gun , 10 coaches votes against Port in that finals demolition , and how good is he to watch , good players with that blistering speed are just match winners

The way things a looking I think we're closer to looking for our next Humphries than we are Holmes

Doubt we’d trade completely out of this years draft for one player.

How does it get done then? Genuinely curious cause Doggies don't reckon our first is anywhere near enough.
And you don't want to start giving up all our future picks, we saw what a down year did to Pies.
They're now desperate with no first rounder and an-aging list. We are not immune to doing the same if things go wrong even though we have a lot of young talent coming through.

How does it get done then? Genuinely curious cause Doggies don't reckon our first is anywhere near enough.
And you don't want to start giving up all our future picks, we saw what a down year did to Pies.
They're now desperate with no first rounder and an-aging list. We are not immune to doing the same if things go wrong next year.
Lucky it’s not up to them so they can feel hard done by all they want

Ask yourself why they would prefer nothing than a first round pick and a second round pick?

Isn't that why i asked the question in the first place? If i knew i wouldn't be asking? lol

Bailey hasn't played in 12 months maybe they don't care if they lose him to the Draft if the offer is "in their eyes" shit?

Like i'm positive the two clubs will get a deal done but they nearly signed off on Dunkley to go to the Draft, what's stopping them with Smith this time? They don't have a pick in the first round of this Draft so it's not like they can pick him back up or waste a first rounder on him...but Hawthorn probably would? Tigers probably would? Carlton probably would?

Again, i'm no expert so asking me what i think is pointless....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean, his brother Hunter Holmes is draft eligible.

Probably as close as we're going to get in a literal sense lmao.

Isn't that why i asked the question in the first place? If i knew i wouldn't be asking? lol

Bailey hasn't played in 12 months maybe they don't care if they lose him to the Draft if the offer is "in their eyes" shit?

Like i'm positive the two clubs will get a deal done but they nearly signed off on Dunkley to go to the Draft, what's stopping them with Smith this time? They don't have a pick in the first round of this Draft so it's not like they can pick him back up or waste a first rounder on him...but Hawthorn probably would? Tigers probably would? Carlton probably would?

Again, i'm no expert so asking me what i think is pointless....
Did they really, though? Seemed to me they simply played chicken with the Lions and lost.

They're now desperate with no first rounder and an-aging list. We are not immune to doing the same if things go wrong even though we have a lot of young talent coming through.

2024 first plus F2 plus F3 is my guess unless a player is involved.

Adam Treloar trade:

The Bulldogs sent pick No.14 and a future second-round selection to the Magpies in exchange for Treloar, also receiving picks No.26, No.33 and No.42 in return.

I think that's about right for Smith.

Did they really, though? Seemed to me they simply played chicken with the Lions and lost.

Their board signed off on it, so i'd assume that was the plan and Lions came back with an offer last minute to get it over the line?
Chicken? I mean maybe? But go and ask them yourself, the board definitely did sign off on it so the nuclear option was there.
Remember we aren't dealing with someone like Brisbane who we've done many trades with or Gold Coast who always comes through for us... hell even GWS made the Pick 18 for Tanner trade almost immediately without fuss.

The Dogs are in a weird state of flux where they have a coach who may or may not be there in a few years, List manager and Footy managers who just in the last few years have lost 1 x A Grade Mid in Dunkley for unders and now are about to lose their 23 year old future star in Bailey Smith along with a two time AA player Macrae. Potentially another decent player in Daniel as well. And all of this while their midfield is starting to age and look like in a few years probably will drop off (Bont, Treloar, Libba aren't getting younger) and with how much they've paid for Naughton, JUH and English they're gonna be getting a big cap squeeze going. Has Sam Darcy signed up yet? Teams will pay a truckload to try and pry him out so Dogs will have to pay up to lock him down.

It just smells like a club that's getting desperate. The walls are closing in, the media are scrutinizing harder than ever at their culture. Seems like a "line in the sand" kind of offseason.

Do we think Sam Power will come to the table, or are we dealing with a club that is under scrutiny for a shit Finals performance and a list in a weird state of flux who wouldn't care if they made life difficult for us.
I'd lean towards the former but you never know, they've already publicly announced two firsts sooo...

Last edited:
Their board signed off on it, so i'd assume that was the plan and Lions came back with an offer last minute to get it over the line?
Chicken? I mean maybe? But go and ask them yourself, the board definitely did sign off on it so the nuclear option was there.
Remember we aren't dealing with someone like Brisbane who we've done many trades with or Gold Coast who always comes through for us... hell even GWS made the Pick 18 for Tanner trade almost immediately without fuss.

The Dogs are in a weird state of flux where they have a coach who may or may not be there in a few years, List manager and Footy managers who just in the last few years have lost 1 x A Grade Mid in Dunkley for unders and now are about to lose their 23 year old future star in Bailey Smith along with a two time AA player Macrae. Potentially another decent player in Daniel as well. And all of this while their midfield is starting to age and look like in a few years probably will drop off (Bont, Treloar, Libba aren't getting younger) and with how much they've paid for Naughton, JUH and English they're gonna be getting a big cap squeeze going.

Do we think Sam Power will come to the table, or are we dealing with a club that is under scrutiny for a shit Finals performance and a list in a weird state of flux who wouldn't care if they made life difficult for us.
I'd lean towards the former but you never know, they've already publicly announced two firsts sooo...
In the end, though, they're mostly making life difficult for themselves if they let Bailey walk without receiving any compensation. As you point out, they're now developing a history of multiple 'required' players choosing to flee. So if you couple that issue with them supposedly being foolish enough to have those players walk without getting anything in return, you really are setting yourself up on the fast train to irrelevance.

In the end, though, they're mostly making life difficult for themselves if they let Bailey walk without receiving any compensation. As you point out, they're now developing a history of multiple 'required' players choosing to flee. So if you couple that issue with them supposedly being foolish enough to have those players walk without getting anything in return, you really are on the fast train to irrelevance.

Yeah don't get me wrong i'm not saying doing the nuclear option is the right move, hence it being the nuclear option.
I'm just saying there's certain clubs you know where you stand. A club like Geelong loves to get the deal done. There's clubs we've dealt with that while they haggle, they'll do what's right and make the deal in the end. Some might have a whinge eg Power, GWS but they'll still get the deal done.

I don't trust the Dogs at all with everything going on with outside scrutiny coming from media about performance, list management, coaching, players leaving and disgruntled, culture issues etc etc.....Plus with the way Smith has carried on over social media about his treatment with the "two sides to a story" post that Sam Power and Co don't just go,

"**** it, good luck in the Draft Baz you mug"

I would trust Geelong to get a deal done that is good for both parties, i don't trust them one iota to do the deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back