Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Obviously there is a reason Jack Martin is a DFA. Having said that I dont think anyone doubts he can play if he can get on the paddock. The alternative is whos available with the last pick in the draft and we will have will be using picks in that neighbourhood anyway. They dont come with a guarantee either. A contract that is weighted heavily on matches played. I am all for it.

I really hope Richmond bid on Levi Ashcroft with #1

I'm sick of these jet kids going to clubs for well unders.

Credit to Adelaide for bidding #1 on JUH.

I think as it stands the Lions would currently be 1000 points in deficit so there's no doubt they'll be trading their R1 this year for a thousand late picks to rort the system and make up the points required.

I think as it stands the Lions would currently be 1000 points in deficit so there's no doubt they'll be trading their R1 this year for a thousand late picks to rort the system and make up the points required.

They'll cycle picks to clear up that deficit

They really need to change the current system so you have to use a pick within 10 of the bid to match at minimum

E.g bid is at 1 must use at least pick 11

bid is at 14 must use at least 24 etc

Might look at one of the talls such as Whitlock, Sims or Shanahan. Alternatively could go for a midfield type such as Moraes.

Sims slipping out of Twomey’s latest phantom top 30 …. probably puts him that range where we have taken talls recently. Probably not the type that CS likes but I like he has a presence. Needs to polish up his conversion.

Hotton slipping to 15 …makes wish we would have a pick in this draft.. If Hotton is 15, Trainor at 16 , Berry at 17 then the first round is a good one.

They really need to change the current system so you have to use a pick within 10 of the bid to match at minimum

I don't think that system would fix it up... It would probably just create an entire bunch of other issues.

Rongdit is the 'gift' so to speak to get excited about IMO.

The other two would be awesome too if they really come on next year, but they feel more like Oscar Brownless/BaxterMensch at this stage.

Id like to see some recent data on Rongdit. He has been listed as 183cm for a fair while….

Sims slipping out of Twomey’s latest phantom top 30 …. probably puts him that range where we have taken talls recently. Probably not the type that CS likes but I like he has a presence. Needs to polish up his conversion.

Hotton slipping to 15 …makes wish we would have a pick in this draft.. If Hotton is 15, Trainor at 16 , Berry at 17 then the first round is a good one.

If we do retain our 2nd pick there will be a decent type still available. Deep, even drafts. Personally like the look of Jacques.

Doubt we will be able to trade back into the first round. Those picks are apparently being tightly held.

Trainor’s concussions are a concern which may see him slide. Love to get Hotton but he’ll be long gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Minor adjustments to the current DVI system could fix that
Yep.

I just got on the DVI trade calculator for a play around... and I already knew the numbers are stupid.

If Ashcroft (a guy plenty think should/could be #1) ends up being bid on with #4... the Lions can get him with 33, 34 and 35 after that 20% discount... Which looks insane to my eyes.

If he is bid on with #1 then it makes a big difference.. Lions would need to add in an extra #26 to go along with 33, 34 and 35.

Still... 26, 33, 34 and 35 for PICK 1... sign me up please.

They gotta re-jig the DVI one way or another or drop that 20% discount.

Last edited:
I don't think that system would fix it up... It would probably just create an entire bunch of other issues.
Just scrap the 20% points discount teams get.. That should never be in place. Teams already get the benefit of a guaranteed pick of the player, they dont need a points discount also...

I think the free agency priority pick should go also... It should be along the lines of - The AFL does their magical calculation as to what the player is worth, eg: 1st round pick, 2nd round pick etc, the gaining side then has to stump up a pick within that value... Something like that..

That ensures the player can get where they want without a giant negotiation hassle, the losing team gets compensated, but it still costs the gaining team something.. They don't get something for nothing...

Its a bit ridiculous the way it is currently - We had to stump up 3 first round picks for Jeremy Cameron, yet Sydney got Lance Franklin for free. Hawthorn got pick 20 for Franklin, yet North get pick 3 for McKay..

We also had to stump up pick 9 and 28 for Dangerfield..

We get shafted because the way we do contracts, we are never prepared to offer ridiculous, reckless contracts to players, thus making it easy for losing opposition teams to match our offer, forcing a trade...

Yep.

I just got on the DVI trade calculator for a play around... and I already knew the numbers are stupid.

If Ashcroft (a guy plenty think should/could be #1) ends up being bid on with #4... the Lions can get him with 33, 34 and 35 after that 20% discount.

If he is bid on with #1 then it makes a big difference.. Lions would need to add in an extra #26 to go along with 33, 34 and 35.

Still... 26, 33, 34 and 35 for pick 1... sign me up please.

They gotta re-jig the DVI one way or another or drop that 20% discount.

Easiest way is to simply remove the value of pick 54 from each pick.

I'd also reduce the discount for ealier picks. Easy example is discount x% = pick x caps at pick 20.

Pick 1 with the 20% discount requires picks 17,18,19 which is already an improvement. With a 1% discount becomes 13,14,15, requires a club to trade picks in to match.

Lots of talk about how good and deep this years draft is.

Yet Bulldogs fans (without a pick better than 32) are calling to walk Smith to the draft unless we hand over 2x R1's lol.
I'd offer up 2 x Round 1 selections for Smith.. Rd 1 this year, and next.. This year will be 16-20ish, and you would expect next season to be another pick in the teens..

i wouldn’t mind a sliding scale either applied where if you want to still match the bid, your round 1 the following year slides back by a certain amount of spots.

Please do not take over Mackie's job.
Our first round selections generally SUCK anyway.. We have had very little luck with those..

23 - O'Sullivan ? Unknown
22 - Clark ? Unknown
19 - Cooper Stephens - Awful pick
18 - J Clarke - GONE HOME
14 - Nakia Cockatoo - Injury prone, never met potential
13 - Darcy Lang - DUD
12 - Jackson Thurlow - Injured DUD
10 - Billie Smedts - DUD
09 - Dan Menzel - SUPER injury prone.

Our traded 1st round picks -
2022 - Pick 18 for Tanner Bruhn
2020 - Traded our 2021 first pick for pick 20, which we used on Max Holmes.
2020 - 13, 15 and 20 for Jeremy Cameron
2015 - Traded our 2016 1st rounder for Lachie Henderson
2015 - Pick 9 for Dangerfield
2004 - Picks 12 and 16 for Brad Ottens

Trading our first rounders, however, have been extremely successful...

I'd trade Billie Smedts and Jackson Thurlow for Bailey Smith any day of the week..

i wouldn’t mind a sliding scale either applied where if you want to still match the bid, your round 1 the following year slides back by a certain amount of spots.
I don't think the bid system is too bad that they need to fully revamp it.

The DVI is just not great + once you add in a 20% discount it becomes even more lop sided.

Pick 9 =1469 pts
Pick 25 + 26 = 1485 pts

In what world is anyone trading 9 for 25 + 26?

Then you can add a 20% discount on pick 9 and get them for 31 + 32.

The math just isn't mathing... 9 for 31 + 31 nahhh.

If they fix up the numbers it'll be much better.

I think the system is ok... the DVI is just not right IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back