Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Don’t know anything about his previous history other than he was a GC academy player.

I only first noticed him in the Southport final at KP against our VFL team. He had an impressive burst of acceleration and was able to win his own footy. Then again today every time he touched it he made good decisions and again showed impressive pace.

I know I’ve banged on about him in a few posts but he just looks a player to me.

I'm a big fan of going after mature age recruits, their cap efficiency is through the roof. He definitely stood out this year.

What I think is in his favour is that he looks a bit slight, he might still some room to improve from that standpoint

The SDK conundrum won’t be an issue for much longer if Dogs fans get their way. They seem to be under the impression that he’ll be the fringe player steak knives to sweeten the two first rounders we’ll apparently be sending their way.
They're just trolling. Fans invest a lot of their identity into a club and the players that make up that club hold up that identity. You take a player away, one that they are disproportionately proud of then they are being attacked. The only way they can attack back is to try inflict the same hurt on others.

Doesn't really work if it's just silly though

On a little research I can only assume we’re going to go with Stanley/Conway combo once again in the 2025 season
These ruckman are out of contract at the end of next season, maybe just maybe we have a verbal agreement one of them will join at the end of next season

O’brien UFA
DeKoning RFA
Draper RFA
Soldo
Ladhams
I actually reckon Stanley might not get first call up and they alternate Conway as extra loose tall while SDK goes and chases stoppages.

It's probably more because he's right next to the Cats players (you can see Jeka & COS in the background)

Agree though that it's a non-issue. If the Dogs fans want to get worked up about it then whatever, it's their life.

It does happen though. I remember vividly Travis Cloke at a final wearing a Dogs scarf in 2016 when he was still technically a Collingwood player.

As far as anything suspicious though, it's a nothing burger.

The guy is there to see his future teammates, and/or dealing with Cotton On matters.
Him going to the footy with his sponsor is a nothing burger. Unless it gets dogs fans riled up, then I say lean into it and talk up the significance 👍

Out
Hawkins
Tuohy
Willis
Murdoch
Jeka

Pretty confident the above group is gone.

Stanley
Rohan
Duncan
Parfitt
Foster

How many of the above do we need to lose?

5 senior and 2 rookies spots open, is that enough?

Interesting offseason coming up.
I would hold onto Willis one more year but after that he had better wow me

Him going to the footy with his sponsor is a nothing burger. Unless it gets dogs fans riled up, then I say lean into it and talk up the significance 👍
They've gone nuts on their board, apparently Bevo & Power are meeting a couple of our players and trying to sway them that way.

While I understand the passion, they've had what? 18 months to prepare?

It's not like it's come as a shock to anybody.

At least JHF & Tim Kelly for instance were contracted players in their first years.

Some supporters definitely went overboard, but you could understand it a little bit more.

I actually reckon Stanley might not get first call up and they alternate Conway as extra loose tall while SDK goes and chases stoppages.
What would SDK get us if he were wanting to leave the club.
A first rounder yes, but not much more than that
Definitely not enough to gain us a player like Butters, Brayshaw etc

This is why I like keeping Stanley for another season, especially if it's well known he's now second option behind Conway and only in the team for depth, or if Conway is injured.
We NEED Conway to get his body right and take us forward or we are in a world of hurt, unless we can snare 1 of those rucks you mentioned.
Conway already back training is a positive
Let’s see if we can get a full pre season out of him

Your mate is on the money.

Posted himself that he was at the ground. Good to see him get amongst the faithful nice and early.

He was also taking photos with Cats fans at the game last night

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We really need a mid that can get the ball 30 plus times. As I reckon our midfielders we have wouldnt even average over 25+

I do like Holmes with his run and carry, and getting Smith, he will be like Holmes as well.
If going into next season we are relying on Dangerfield to stand up again, that's a major concern... Plus Cuthrie is 33 next season, once again we can't think he will fix it all
Guthrie is one I honestly just see as a list clogger at this point, but we wont make a tough call and pay him out with his brother at the club, who was the last 32 year old to come good after missing all of 2 years of footy? Expecting him to slot straight in and be the Cam Guthrie of old borders on delusion for mine and it actually worries me a bit that hes going to take a mid spot on name alone off a kid that could very well be the future of our club

Guthrie is one I honestly just see as a list clogger at this point, but we wont make a tough call and pay him out with his brother at the club, who was the last 32 going on 33 year old to come good after missing all of 2 years of footy? Expecting him to slot straight in and be the Cam Guthrie of old borders on delusion for mine and it actuslly eorried ke a bit thst hes goung to tske a mid spot on name alone off a kid that could very well be the future of our club
I'm not far off agreeing with you mate, but there's more that goes into than that.

There's a finite amount of talent that you can bring-in in any given off-season. We're in an equalised league, we can't just go on a spending spree like the EPL.

We're giving up our first for Smith, that much is certain. We're probably giving up our second, too.

You've mentioned that you want all of Stanley, Bews, Rohan, Duncan, & Guthrie gone, to go with Hawkins & Tuohy already, and the other delistings.

It seems like a sound idea, right? But you have to consider what we're bringing in if that were to happen.

That's upwards of 7-10 picks post 50 after the Smith deal, does that sound like a smart move?

We might strike gold and find a Humphries or Dempsey, but odds are we're finding a huge contingent of "list cloggers" like you've branded the aforementioned names as, and we'd be giving them two year contracts as well.

We obviously can't have them all go on, but we also need to weigh up what we can actually bring in this off-season if we are to cut deep.

Just Smith, and a huge contingent of late dart throws on two year deals won't work.

We've done this before, and we ended up with Jacob Kennerley, Jake Tarca, Darcy Fort, & Ben Jarvis, in what was meant to be a pretty good draft.

Not exactly names etched into Geelong history, are they?

I'm not far off agreeing with you mate, but there's more that goes into than that.

There's a finite amount of talent that you can bring-in in any given off-season. We're in an equalised league, we can't just go on a spending spree like the EPL.

We're giving up our first for Smith, that much is certain. We're probably giving up our second, too.

You've mentioned that you want all of Stanley, Bews, Rohan, Duncan, & Guthrie gone, to go with Hawkins & Tuohy already, and the other delistings.

It seems like a sound idea, right? But you have to consider what we're bringing in if that were to happen.

That's upwards of 7-10 picks post 50 after the Smith deal, does that sound like a smart move?

We might strike gold and find a Humphries or Dempsey, but odds are we're finding a huge contingent of "list cloggers" like you've branded the aforementioned names as, and we'd be giving them two year contracts as well.

We obviously can't have them all go on, but we also need to weigh up what we can actually bring in this off-season if we are to cut deep.

Just Smith, and a huge contingent of late dart throws on two year deals won't work.

We've done this before, and we ended up with Jacob Kennerley, Jake Tarca, Darcy Fort, & Ben Jarvis, in what was meant to be a pretty good draft.

We just got Lawson Humphries with the second last pick of the draft, Id back our recruitment team in every day of the week, this draft pool is quality according to anyone with any knowledge of the talent pool and clubs are actively looking to stock up on picks for a reason, with all due respect to Kennerley and co that draft are McDonalds workers in comparison.

Good points.

Personally I’m so indifferent on blokes like Stanley and Duncan playing on that I’d give priority to Mackie / Wells’ shortlist of post pick 50 prospects and let that dictate how many list spots we need (and by extension, whether or not there’s room to keep the extra 1-2 veterans around).

Duncan isn’t giving us more than next man up in Clark/Knevitt/Clohesy etc. More of an argument could be made for Stanley as security.

Out
Hawkins
Tuohy
Willis
Murdoch
Jeka

Stanley
Rohan
Duncan
Parfitt
Foster

Jeka and murdoch and hardie are rookies not main list. We will want to open at least 6 senior spots so if guys like duncan and bews get kept then foster and willis will get punted (or delisted and rookied) unless any of our contracted fringe guys ask for a trade. I would be more ruthless than the club will be.

Duncan will play on, get to 300 games then retire giving us a list spot in the mid season draft. Win / win all round.

That would be interesting as our msd record hasnt been great. But it would let us grab someone if needed.

Depends on your talent id though for every one of those guys you have mannagh humphries miers close dempsey etc late in drafts.
But i agree we cant turn over every old guy in one year.
But id do hawk tuohy rohan duncan stanley now
And bews (apparently getting a deal) guthrie blicavs and maybe danger next year (id like to see atkins moved on at end 25 but less realistic).

Depends on your talent id though for every one of those guys you have mannagh humphries miers close dempsey etc late in drafts.
But i agree we cant turn over every old guy in one year.
But id do hawk tuohy rohan duncan stanley now
And bews (apparently getting a deal) guthrie blicavs and maybe danger next year (id like to see atkins moved on at end 25 but less realistic).
We just got Lawson Humphries with the second last pick of the draft, Id back our recruitment team in every day of the week, this draft pool is quality according to anyone with any knowledge of the talent pool and clubs are actively looking to stock up on picks for a reason, with all due respect to Kennerley and co that draft are McDonalds workers in comparison.
My point is more so we're not struggling for list spots.

It looks unlikely that this will be a 2015 or 2022 style off-season where we're bringing in so much talent that we have to cut pretty deep.

If we do have a Humphries or a Dempsey stashed away, we're going to get them regardless with the late picks we'll be using.

Tuohy, Hawkins, Parfitt, Foster, & Willis are either gone, or look gone. Hardie, Murdoch & Jeka will go as rookies too.

After that, I reckon you cut two of Bews, Rohan, Duncan, & Stanley, and I don't really care which two they are.

That's 7 main list spots, with Smith being the only confirmed in. Maybe we pick up a Kennedy type or get Martin as a DFA.

Leaves us with 5 picks that will all be post 50, to go with the rookie picks too. That's plenty IMO.

As good as our recruitment team is, we'd be doing well to find one Humphries or Dempsey with those picks, maybe two if we've really done our homework.

My point is more so we're not struggling for list spots.

It looks unlikely that this will be a 2015 or 2022 style off-season where we're bringing in so much talent that we have to cut pretty deep.

If we do have a Humphries or a Dempsey stashed away, we're going to get them regardless with the late picks we'll be using.

Tuohy, Hawkins, Parfitt, Foster, & Willis are either gone, or look gone. Hardie, Murdoch & Jeka will go as rookies too.

After that, I reckon you cut two of Bews, Rohan, Duncan, & Stanley, and I don't really care which two they are.

That's 7 main list spots, with Smith being the only confirmed in. Maybe we pick up a Kennedy type or get Martin as a DFA.

Leaves us with 5 picks that will all be post 50, to go with the rookie picks too. That's plenty IMO.

As good as our recruitment team is, we'd be doing well to find one Humphries or Dempsey with those picks, maybe two if we've really done our homework.
Its pretty obvious to me if we are shifting depth off the list we will bring players in to replace them, we arent going to the draft with all those spots open, all I'm saying is if its holding a cooked player or taking another kid I'd be taking the punt on a kid, especially in this draft.

Club needs to be prepared to make ruthless calls not hold people past their use by date, that's just part of business.

I fully expect the club to arrogantly go in light on rucks and then get to the middle of 2025 with Stanley and Conway both injured and watch our season fall apart.

Out
Hawkins
Tuohy
Willis
Murdoch
Jeka

Stanley
Rohan
Duncan
Parfitt
Foster

Agree with most of above, exception of:

• Stanley - good last 3-4 games. Need him as insurance for Conway unless they bring in a resilient, mature ruck.
  • Duncan - club culture (shot at 300), depth. Skills handy for VFL, where our forwards’ development has been cruelled by terrible delivery
Both above need to understand that going to be depth, play alot of VFL.

Bews also to go, unless contracted. (Use Mullen or MOC as a BP).

Cuthrie keep, but another chronic injury could be it.

Bringing Smith in is going to leave us with not much pre Rd3. Going to mean astute Wells picks and longer development.

Last edited:
They've gone nuts on their board, apparently Bevo & Power are meeting a couple of our players and trying to sway them that way.

While I understand the passion, they've had what? 18 months to prepare?

It's not like it's come as a shock to anybody.

At least JHF & Tim Kelly for instance were contracted players in their first years.

Some supporters definitely went overboard, but you could understand it a little bit more.
In their eyes he seemingly went from a flanker they can't fit in the engine room to Patrick Dangerfield overnight

Fear of loss is a potent force

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back