Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

St Kilda fans on socials are now discussing what would it take to get SDK
Steve Coogan Shrug GIF

St Kilda fans on socials are now discussing what would it take to get SDK

Pick 7 and a large sweetener. Even then we wouldnt do it. Realistically we would want 12 months to plan and trade in a quality kpd or ruck to replace him its too late in the piece to do it now. Revisit next year.

I must’ve been watching different games to you then, didn’t look like it at VFL level let alone AFL.
In the first half of the season he was the only way we stayed in games, the rest of the backline was poor. His intercept marking and kicking from the back drove the team forward.
Hey we all see the game differently but I liked what I saw. If players like him and Foster get delisted I’m not going to be too upset. I just think they’ve shown some things to work with and as key position players I’d like to see where they go with another year of development.

I said it on the SDK trade thread that if we held Rata or all people to his contract, we sure as shit are doing the same to SDK.

Even if he does want out, then he will have to wait until next year.

Ratugolea had no significant value. SDK has a lot of value.

It completely depends on what we think are the chances that he stays and reaches his potential with us. If we're confident then he's untradeable at any value.

If we think he's a risk and a team is willing to put up enough that we effectively trade out SDK for Smith and a significant pick upgrade (eg SDK + 15 for Smith + 7) then we'd have to think about it.

Pick 7 and Bailey Smith for SDK and f2

Surely that means Rohan is finishing up?
Can't see us going for Martin with basically 8 forwards already locked in.

Neale
Jezza
Stengle
Close
Miers
Dempsey
Mannagh
O Henry

Martin would be number 9.
Basically VFL bound unless we have injuries.

Unless we plan to play Dempsey wing full time?
I'd consider Martin, but would try to turn him into a wing/half back. Perhaps that's what the club is thinking. Agree there's probably no need for him as a forward though.

Ratugolea had no significant value. SDK has a lot of value.

It completely depends on what we think are the chances that he stays and reaches his potential with us. If we're confident then he's untradeable at any value.

If we think he's a risk and a team is willing to put up enough that we effectively trade out SDK for Smith and a significant pick upgrade (eg SDK + 15 for Smith + 7) then we'd have to think about it.

Highly doubt we'd trade him, like Tim Kelly as well we'd try to back ourselves to get him to change his mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Highly doubt we'd trade him, like Tim Kelly as well we'd try to back ourselves to get him to change his mind.

Tim Kelly was playing like a superstar. SDK is coming off an ordinary season except for a brief stint in the ruck and wasn't picked for finals.

Kelly was always going to have significant value based on his first season.

An out of contract SDK next year could be worth anything from 2x first rounders if he dominates to a pick outside the top 20 if he struggles. If he indicates he wants out (which of course is a big if) it's not as obvious that forcing him to stay is the right move.

Pick 7 and a large sweetener. Even then we wouldnt do it. Realistically we would want 12 months to plan and trade in a quality kpd or ruck to replace him its too late in the piece to do it now. Revisit next year.
If SDK was showing signs that he might not be around after next year then 7 + a sweetener is probably the best we will get for him.

If SDK was showing signs that he might not be around after next year then 7 + a sweetener is probably the best we will get for him.

Don't know about that. If a team like the Saints or North are keen they might not care about draft picks much. And he's contracted so we can drag our feet.

If he asks to go to North or the Saints do they say no if we demand pick 2 or picks 7+8? If I'm them in probably doing that given how hard they've struggled to attract talent and how many early picks they've already had.

If he asks to go to North or the Saints do they say no if we demand pick 2 or picks 7+8? If I'm them in probably doing that given how hard they've struggled to attract talent and how many early picks they've already had.
Hey if North or the Saints wanna hand over pick 2 or 7 + 8 for a guy that wasn't even selected In our finals team and has gone backwards since 2022 then I'd be all for it.

I'd love to keep SDK.... But if offered 2 or 7 + 8... I'm booting him out the door asap.

😂 if he makes this move, could one suggest that Soldo may have a bit of the Preuss mentality about him - behind Nank at Richmond so moves to Port

Gets stuck behind Sweet at Port and looks to move again, but to a team with a clear #1 ruck in Marshall...

It's like Preuss moving from North to Melbourne when all knew he wouldn't be their #1 - unsure why Soldo would look at St Kilda

The question around SDK and IF he is considering his future, is it because he's a little frustrated/disappointed at being left out of our finals team after his injury and wants to seek clarity from us on his future

Or has he decided his future isn't at Geelong, he wants out and holding him to his contract could have something of a negative effect - either in terms of diminishing his trade value or him potentially not being fully committed to the club next season?

If he's just wanting to test the waters but is otherwise committed to the club, then surely we work out things to extend beyond next season

But if he's pretty adamant he wants out & that's unlikely to change over the next 12 months - do we maximise trade value now if a suitable deal can be made?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back