Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

The question around SDK and IF he is considering his future, is it because he's a little frustrated/disappointed at being left out of our finals team after his injury and wants to seek clarity from us on his future

Or has he decided his future isn't at Geelong, he wants out and holding him to his contract could have something of a negative effect - either in terms of diminishing his trade value or him potentially not being fully committed to the club next season?

If he's just wanting to test the waters but is otherwise committed to the club, then surely we work out things to extend beyond next season

But if he's pretty adamant he wants out & that's unlikely to change over the next 12 months - do we maximise trade value now if a suitable deal can be made?
Only issue would be if we get high draft picks for him the dogs will dig their heels and demand better picks than what we were previously going to part with, unless we package everything up and chase another midfielder or ruck with Smith in the trade

Bailey Smith news sounds like it will be incoming in the next 24-48 hours. Given there's a bit of competition for media focus this week I'm being told most likely post Brownlow tomorrow / Wednesday.

That's all I'm getting.

Is this all just rumour though, or has the DK camp actually suggested as much?

Nothing directly from the SDK camp

But a bit of talk in the media over recent weeks, especially after Sam wasn't named in the team on Thursday night or a late in

A suggestion that other teams may try getting in his ear if he's a bit restless

I really think Dempsey & Miers can be full time wings who push forward and kick goals. Both have great tanks and generally use the ball well.
But I also think Danger should play more minutes forward the next 2 years. Perhaps he starts at centre bounces and drifts forward.
Dempsey, yes. Miers isn't big enough/good enough overhead IMO.

Tim Kelly was playing like a superstar. SDK is coming off an ordinary season except for a brief stint in the ruck and wasn't picked for finals.

Kelly was always going to have significant value based on his first season.

An out of contract SDK next year could be worth anything from 2x first rounders if he dominates to a pick outside the top 20 if he struggles. If he indicates he wants out (which of course is a big if) it's not as obvious that forcing him to stay is the right move.

IF he did want out, then what's the actual chance of him going to a lowly club like Saints or North that would get us top 10 picks? Probably not very high.

If he picks Collingwood or Carlton, then they would be picks in the teens (and Pies don't have their first rounder) then it's certainly not worth it for us.

I think he's worth more to us to keep him, then to let him go. He signed a contract with us, and we're well without our rights to keep him like we did with Kelly and Rata.

All the more credit to him. We have to interpret them giving him another contract as both an endorsement of his body to stand up to it and a lack of viable alternative options.
Ivan Soldo is there and wants to play senior footy, just pick him, will be an upgrade on anything Stanley and Conway can give us next year.

IF he did want out, then what's the actual chance of him going to a lowly club like Saints or North that would get us top 10 picks? Probably not very high.

If he picks Collingwood or Carlton, then they would be picks in the teens (and Pies don't have their first rounder) then it's certainly not worth it for us.

I think he's worth more to us to keep him, then to let him go. He signed a contract with us, and we're well without our rights to keep him like we did with Kelly and Rata.
I don't see a winning scenario in a trade out of SDK. The least worst is we hold him to his last year while we map out a plan to replace him and take the unders trade exchange when that plays out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SDK is going nowhere. It's all misinformed media speculation and guesswork. Built largely on the fact that they think he was "overlooked" for our finals campaign. Whilst he was overlooked - it was because he was underdone and the club did not want to risk further injury. Will be announced shortly that he's going in for post season surgery.

So both Smith & Martin look like forgone conclusions now.

Have we got our eyes on anyone else?
Yep for sure.

Give it a few days and I think a few things will start to "leak" out. Particularly once the club starts to announce list changes. It sounds as though we are into a couple of established midfielders outside of the Bailey Smith discussions. Oliver and Butters are names that keep getting thrown up but it's hard to see how that happens.

Yep for sure.

Give it a few days and I think a few things will start to "leak" out. Particularly once the club starts to announce list changes. It sounds as though we are into a couple of established midfielders outside of the Bailey Smith discussions. Oliver and Butters are names that keep getting thrown up but it's hard to see how that happens.
Butters especially would command a hefty sum.

So both Smith & Martin look like forgone conclusions now.

Have we got our eyes on anyone else?
Cadman
Reid
Some spud and R1 from GCS.
LDU
Butters

Yep for sure.

Do you have any names that feel closer to 'likely' if that makes sense?

I'd crawl across broken glass to get Butters to Geelong. If we got him and Smith we're talking premierships for at least another 5 years.

Even if he wants us though, I just can't see it happening if we're not giving up someone like SDK, which we already believe doesn't have any legs.

Ivan Soldo is there and wants to play senior footy, just pick him, will be an upgrade on anything Stanley and Conway can give us next year.

Is he really an upgrade on Stanley & Conway?

This year he was restricted to 4 SANFL & 8 AFL matches due to injuries keeping him out for periods of 5 weeks & 8 weeks

He was drafted in 2015, made his senior debut in 2017 and never played more than 14 games in his 7 completed seasons since debut - for a player who'll turn 29 early next season, that doesn't exactly read like someone who'll be an upgrade on those we've currently got on our list

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back