Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

As much as I want him, I would have to laugh if he went to hawks after the constant “he’s bought a house and got the keys” and “why are we even talking about this my super inside sources have told me it’s been locked in for the last 12 months” chat from some people

It'll be a significant letdown I'm sure.

It seems a good dose of the enthusiasm for our prospects next year is intertwined with the 'knowledge' that Smith is coming here.

But what if he doesn't?

How do we see us improving our midfield?

Do we, are we, going harder at Oliver if Wells & Mackie sense they're going to be rebuffed?

Does our board melt?

As much as I want him, I would have to laugh if he went to hawks after the constant “he’s bought a house and got the keys” and “why are we even talking about this my super inside sources have told me it’s been locked in for the last 12 months” chat from some people

But he bought a house and got the keys. Why are we even talking about this

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm being told that there is chat amongst Hawks fans about Smith having a late change of heart and wanting them.....

True or not, it got me thinking....... what are our thoughts, and where to from here, if Smith DID go somewhere else?
I'm 50/50 on Smith, part of me wants him purely because we need something in the midfield, but after everything we've seen he does seem a tiny bit like a massive w***er. We missed out on Hopper and that turned out great, Smith could be the same type deal. Who knows what doors open up, he does strike me a someone who would be battling with coming to the cats, he talked about his legacy etc. might be a go with his heart and play for the team he loved as a kid., wouldn't even blame him we've had players like in the past (ohenry) and will in the future (reid).

I'm 50/50 on Smith, part of me wants him purely because we need something in the midfield, but after everything we've seen he does seem a tiny bit like a massive w***er. We missed out on Hopper and that turned out great, Smith could be the same type deal. Who knows what doors open up, he does strike me a someone who would be battling with coming to the cats, he talked about his legacy etc. might be a go with his heart and play for the team he loved as a kid., wouldn't even blame him we've had players like in the past (ohenry) and will in the future (reid).

Yep, one door opens and another opens.

It seems we're up to something given the number of spots we've opened up, so it'll be interesting to see how the trade period plays out.

It'll be a significant letdown I'm sure.

It seems a good dose of the enthusiasm for our prospects next year is intertwined with the 'knowledge' that Smith is coming here.

But what if he doesn't?

How do we see us improving our midfield?

Do we, are we, going harder at Oliver if Wells & Mackie sense they're going to be rebuffed?

Does our board melt?
I'll be honest, there would be a few with their tails between their legs if it doesn't eventuate.

Like Johanpetro mentioned, the whole "why are we even bothering discussing a forgone conclusion" narrative.

Wait and see though, nothing's happened yet, and unfortunately that applies to our fortunes too.

Any idea as to Oliver's enthusiasm for the GFC?
I don't have any recent news on Oliver, so can't comment where things are at heading into this trade period, but I've posted before that Oliver has previously told Geelong he would like to play for us.

We were luke warm on the idea but things may have changed over the last 6 months.

Since our finals loss Im thinking **** it, I'm all in. Get Oliver and Smith, I'll be excited all pre season.

I'll be honest, there would be a few with their tails between their legs if it doesn't eventuate.

Like Johanpetro mentioned, the whole "why are we even bothering discussing a forgone conclusion" narrative.

Wait and see though, nothing's happened yet, and unfortunately that applies to our fortunes too.

It's interesting (why??) that Smith still hasn't announced his club of choice.

There's no immediate deadline, but still....maybe he's waiting on something to fall into place??

Not sure what that'd be as the mechanics as to how it gets done is not his concern once he announces what he wants.....it just gets done.

Agreed. Ahead in a PF with 3 minutes to go.
Time to go chips in and go for another flag.

Too many clubs focus on being conservative not threatening the future and hopefully building for a flag one day. Those that win actually shoot for the green. Not just the fairway.

That's a Stan The Caddy reference as well.
Brilliant!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm being told that there is chat amongst Hawks fans about Smith having a late change of heart and wanting them.....

True or not, it got me thinking....... what are our thoughts, and where to from here, if Smith DID go somewhere else?

Go to the Hooper has changed his mind playbook.

There's no immediate deadline, but still....maybe he's waiting on something to fall into place??

Not sure what that'd be as the mechanics as to how it gets done is not his concern once he announces what he wants.....it just gets done.
There's three options IMO:

1) Everyone is wrong, and he was never coming here.

2) He's biding his time, and just making sure the contract is right, we can get a deal done, due diligence etc.

3) He's an egomaniac and wants to draw this out as long as possible, ala Lebron and 'The Decision' on ESPN.

It says a bit about him that all three feel like viable selections. We're not dealing with your everyday footballer here.

With our retirements this year and next we absolutely will. Plus Danger comes off his big money now, Cameron goes off his big deal in 12 months etc.
I still wouldn't want to spend it on Oliver of all people though.
If we are handing over a future first pick, they will need to shoulder the weight of a portion of his contract...

Maybe he is showing a bit of class , by letting the Premiers ( and rightly so ) getting all the publicity and attention this week without him gate crashing it

Does he reckon a trade can be sorted?

Hasn’t gone that far yet but we are right into him.

Enough has come out tonight in the media for me to be a bit more forthcoming. He feels blindsided by the club or at least one person at MFC. That he’s been shopped around behind his back which has come back to him. Pretty unprofessional. MFC are saying that clubs are approaching them. It’s garbage. They have initiated much of it.

If..... and I mean if....... If Bailey did a U turn and did not join Us in Geelong.... I will not ever believe anything you ever read here on BigFooty with people saying " I have inside information " ...
Everyone should really be doing that anyway tbh. Take anything on here with a grain of salt.

Some people see the attention 'In the know' posters receive and just decide one day that they want a piece of that, and start making shit up.

There's real stuff on here for sure, but there's also a few on every club board who post like they've got the list manager on speed dial.

There's three options IMO:

1) Everyone is wrong, and he was never coming here.

2) He's biding his time, and just making sure the contract is right, we can get a deal done, due diligence etc.

3) He's an egomaniac and wants to draw this out as long as possible, ala Lebron and 'The Decision' on ESPN.

It says a bit about him that all three feel like viable selections. We're not dealing with your everyday footballer here.

No, we're not.

Hard to tell where within your 3 scenarios this all lays.

Everyone should really be doing that anyway tbh. Take anything on here with a grain of salt.

Some people see the attention 'In the know' posters receive and just decide one day that they want a piece of that, and start making shit up.

There's real stuff on here for sure, but there's also a few on every club board who post like they've got the list manager on speed dial.

I like to think those that post with conviction do so in good faith, with the realisation that things can go pear shaped at the best of times, but yes, having the salt shaker on hand is always wise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back