Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

I'm not sure the stats tell the story on this one. Seemed like all his involvements were crab handballs for no impact.

I could also be wrong, that's just gut feel watching the half dozen or so games of his I saw rather than serious inquiry.
catempire to add to this Oliver had 31 disposals against us in Rd 8. Zero coaches votes

Same.
Not ignorant, inquisitive 😊
My limited understanding leads me to suppose, considering it appears MFC want him gone, some acquiescence. But no idea of legalities of trading players.

Thinking in terms of common sense. . .
Geelong are usually very fair in trade dealings.
MFC is a shamozzle. Players fleeing faster than rats on a sinking ship!
In light of Oliver’s large + lengthy contact, their mistake IMO, MFC has to suck up some of the loss. As a business, Geelong isn’t a charity to rescue Melbourne.

Problems at MFC from many areas.

Drug coverup, offsite testing + players omitted with fictitious injuries.

Friction between Petracca + Viney was reported in 2023. Subsequently, Oliver accepted the invitation to live with Gawn + wife Jessica.

Oliver isn’t the only one at Melbourne with issues.
Bullying of staff.
Players brawling in public.
Players requesting trades after 2022 season.
Other drug related issues.

All reported + available publicly.

Melbourne has to accept responsibility + be accountable. It’s only reasonable to negotiate a deal with Geelong, to get rid of Oliver.

My thoughts.
I would think if MFC wants to end CO's contract it is their liability to make good the deal, i.e. there would be some financial penalty in them doing so, which would then be factored in to any dealings with us.

However if MFC can prove CO's breach of contract at all then the situation may be mitigated/reversed and it is all over B/W CO and MFC. I.e. he gets the flick.

That's my reading, though I have no insight into the actual contractual relationship or trigger clauses.

Last edited:
Dodson will probably be a gun ruck from this draft...
Yeah i like his highlight package. he'll be available at the 15-25 range if we still have our pick.
But i doubt we entertain bringing in another high pick ruckman after Conway/Edwards coming in recently.
Just as good as Chilli Conway was in his draft year i reckon... maybe?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Other champions have joined Geelong for less $$$ because Geelong is regarded as a desirable ‘go to club’, for many reasons.

Being offered an opportunity sometimes means a sacrifice. Receiving less $$$ has other more significant rewards, being offered a chance to play again + with the successful Geelong is huge. Add lifestyle, surf coast + a regional yet cosmopolitan city, away from Melbourne focus + media attention. Depends upon life goals + desires.
I think that’s the big selling point for Oliver moving to Geelong, Gosch’s paddock is a lot closer to Media HQ in Melbourne than Deakin Uni in the off season and GMHBA.

There's two considerations in this discussion re: Oliver.

What does he bring as a player?

What does he bring as a person?

What happens if we get the best of both, best of one and worst of the other, or worst of both?

For mine he could be an exceptionally good player, but he could be also be a bad apple if his alleged issues aren't sorted.
I think we just need to trust the club to do due diligence on the character part. We have no insights from this vantage point.

Yeah i like his highlight package. he'll be available at the 15-25 range if we still have our pick.
But i doubt we entertain bringing in another high pick ruckman after Conway/Edwards coming in recently.
Just as good as Chilli Conway was in his draft year i reckon... maybe?
I reckon he will be better, but we have other areas of the ground that we need to focus on I reckon, mostly the midfield. Conway has big question marks over his durability.

If you went Jacques I suppose you could park him in defence, and it would release someone like Humphries up to the Wing. That's another option.

I'm not sure the stats tell the story on this one. Seemed like all his involvements were crab handballs for no impact.

I could also be wrong, that's just gut feel watching the half dozen or so games of his I saw rather than serious inquiry.
Strongly disagree. He would have been Geelong’s best mid at this standard in 2024. He is being judged by his own lofty standards. Even at 70% of that he’s a very good player.

Wow. We're serious about this. YOTC on the money here.

I don't think we can bring in both he and Smith.

I have a feeling Smith is off to the Pies if they get that P12.

On SM-A526B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Only way we don’t get Smith is if he doesn’t want to come. Which goes against everything our “inside source” posters have said all year. Geelong would never turn down a quality player like Baz who wants to come to Geelong and chase someone like Oliver. It’s not what we do

OLIVER dependant on 2 things for mine.

• Melbourne swallowing a bit of pride, thinking the version of Oliver they will be getting is not worth the grief, moving on with a later pick and paying a small portion, say $200k

• Geelong convincing Oliver to take a slight pay cut, performance based taking a more holistic approach to getting his life back on track.

Basically we get him for a token pick and a potential wage of 6-900k over six years. I don’t think we should be throwing everything at him, must be a WIN-win for us however it plays out.

Worth a throw at the stumps.

Only way we don’t get Smith is if he doesn’t want to come. Which goes against everything our “inside source” posters have said all year. Geelong would never turn down a quality player like Baz who wants to come to Geelong and chase someone like Oliver. It’s not what we do
Yeah, but we don't know for sure whether we are Smith's number one choice. Until he nominates us, it's all just speculation isn't it.

Wow. We're serious about this. YOTC on the money here.

I don't think we can bring in both he and Smith.

I have a feeling Smith is off to the Pies if they get that P12.

I think you're drawing a long bow.

Clearly the club is gearing up to land both players. And I'll back the club to pull off one of THE greatest off season heists of all time. We have cap space and list space - and that makes for a pretty good head start in negotiations. Pending changes to drafting rules and the use of future picks is a game changer for how some clubs will now approach negotiations. Our club is always a leader in this space and I don't think they're going to hide in the corner and die wondering.

Maybe flip the argument around and think about Bailey Smith's level of buy in if he's already decided on Geelong as his preferred destination + the club have told him we reckon we can land Clayton Oliver as well.

OLIVER dependant on 2 things for mine.

• Melbourne swallowing a bit of pride, thinking the version of Oliver they will be getting is not worth the grief, moving on with a later pick and paying a small portion, say $200k

• Geelong convincing Oliver to take a slight pay cut, performance based taking a more holistic approach to getting his life back on track.

Basically we get him for a token pick and a potential wage of 6-900k over six years. I don’t think we should be throwing everything at him, must be a WIN-win for us however it plays out.

Worth a throw at the stumps.

If Oliver is being traded on his current contract, we should be looking at Melbourne paying in the range of $300k - that's what Collingwood is paying annually for Grundy's contract, so we shouldn't accept anything less from Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back