Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

I have no idea how it works, but could Oliver opt to re-negotiate his contract in order to get out of Melbourne? Or is that just flat out not an option. Forgive my ignorance.

there simply no motivation for oliver to renegotiate any contract as he is not going to take a pay cut. a renegotiation mean he will get even more moeny. so let say he is on 7 x1 mill, and you renogaitate to 10 x 800 mill.

Just FWIW re: the panicked folks with Smith not saying anything yet, I am 99% certain Danger never actually publicly had requested Geelong when he was leaving the Crows, and people were panicking here because of it.. sometimes there is just that much smoke that what is happening is happening, same manager as well so they may just not feel the need to shout it from the roof tops.

:shrug:

Also far too many people take far too much notice of what is being said on opposition boards, then it becomes BFs version of Chinese whispers with the story getting changed, twisted and manipulated based off incorrect information to begin with...

I know it is the silly season and nothing is certain until it happens, so there might be a bit less stress for some if they actually wait until things happen before reacting to it..

This Oliver shit is sickening.

It'll be hard enough getting Baz on the straight and narrow letalone the huge liability that is Oliver. His issues are way worse; gambling, drugs etc.

I'm not even convinced he's that good either.

No thank you.
He is absolutely that good.... or at least he has been, but the risk factors/issues and potential to never be that good again are absolutely a red flag.

I don't know what to think of it all, if we got him in form and fit he would be incredible for us, but is he capable of that again? I have absolutely NFI... plus the contract he has is an almighty anchor round his neck.

Club will back itself in to get the best out of a player no doubt, if the cost makes it a worthwhile throw at the stumps or not is the issue i guess

He is absolutely that good.... or at least he has been, but the risk factors/issues and potential to never be that good again are absolutely a red flag.

I don't know what to think of it all, if we got him in form and fit he would be incredible for us, but is he capable of that again? I have absolutely NFI... plus the contract he has is an almighty anchor round his neck.

Club will back itself in to get the best out of a player no doubt, if the cost makes it a worthwhile throw at the stumps or not is the issue i guess

It's hard to remember us considering a player with such a gap between the good and bad.

I have no idea how it works, but could Oliver opt to re-negotiate his contract in order to get out of Melbourne? Or is that just flat out not an option. Forgive my ignorance.

He could but there's no reason why he would he would be throwing away millions. You can't add more years to smooth it out as the contract goes until he's 33.

It's hard to remember us considering a player with such a gap between the good and bad.
He's had 1 bad year basically in his career... your post is a bit dramatic with all due respect

This Oliver shit is sickening.

It'll be hard enough getting Baz on the straight and narrow letalone the huge liability that is Oliver. His issues are way worse; gambling, drugs etc.

I'm not even convinced he's that good either.

No thank you.
True and i agree on the task at hand.
But. Question? What is worse than having an addiction to Drugs and/or having the Gambling Bug?
We have many without even knowing or acknowledging it.
Heck i have siblings, work colleagues and great friends that have been touched by one or even both.
Doesn't make them bad people. Yes they might make bad, silly or stupid decisions.
But they are not bad people.
I'd put a line thru a bloke that beds ya Mrs whilst u are away. But not a bloke who has a addiction.
As the first is a character trait that is that of a dead set RUNT.
If CO has done any of the first.... then yes u r correct we have no need for someone within our walls as they can crumble the foundations of the joint. As it almost happened in our halcyon days when we were indeed the greatest team of all.
As for questioning whether he is good footballer.
Gotta disagree there. He is elite. I mean ELITE inside mid.
In the Upper echelon of mids. No Ifs Buts or Maybes.
A skill set that on pure ability and past output you'd take without hesitation.
FWIW.
I am happy with whichever direction the club goes as they have far more info/intel on the ins and outs than any of us.
Cheers Bud. Enjoy your opinions!

Not necessary to rush, no, but the dust has settled on the players retiring / delisted, and it's now settling on the GF.

Given this has been in the works for some time you'd think the framework of an agreement would've been put in place by now.

Of course, there could be a last minute hesitation, or other things are happening simultaneously and everyone is holding off to make a grand announcement.

After all, we've cleared the deck so it seems we're up to something.

Or maybe it's not happening at all.

But I keep coming back to Scott's declaration that we have 'balls in the air'.

He's good at fibbing, but I want to believe 😊
I got the feeling from Scott's comments a few weeks back that the club had expected Smith to have named us as his preferred destination already and I reckon that's where this talk about Oliver is coming from now.
The club can't really get started negotiating in earnest with the WB until Smith names us.
So Oliver's name is thrown out there to try to force Smith's hand a bit. We have real back up options ("balls in the air") if you're not keen to come after all, you know.. that sort of thing.
I hope, anyway. As far as I'm concerned with Oliver, Melbourne can sleep in the bed they made.

True and i agree on the task at hand.
But. Question? What is worse than having an addiction to Drugs and/or having the Gambling Bug?
We have many without even knowing or acknowledging it.
Heck i have siblings, work colleagues and great friends that have been touched by one or even both.
Doesn't make them bad people. Yes they might make bad, silly or stupid decisions.
But they are not bad people.
I'd put a line thru a bloke that beds ya Mrs whilst u are away. But not a bloke who has a addiction.
As the first is a character trait that is that of a dead set RUNT.
If CO has done any of the first.... then yes u r correct we have no need for someone within our walls as they can crumble the foundations of the joint. As it almost happened in our halcyon days when we were indeed the greatest team of all.
As for questioning whether he is good footballer.
Gotta disagree there. He is elite. I mean ELITE inside mid.
In the Upper echelon of mids. No Ifs Buts or Maybes.
A skill set that on pure ability and past output you'd take without hesitation.
FWIW.
I am happy with whichever direction the club goes as they have far more info/intel on the ins and outs than any of us.
Cheers Bud. Enjoy your opinions!

Hmm yeah. Not sure if I'd equate cheating, which is extremely prevalent, to having a drug and gambling addiction and playing an elite sport.

If you're talking about cheating with a team mates partner that's a bit different but that can happen anywhere as well.

We know this guy has serious issues.

Same.
Not ignorant, inquisitive 😊
My limited understanding leads me to suppose, considering it appears MFC want him gone, some acquiescence. But no idea of legalities of trading players.

Thinking in terms of common sense. . .
Geelong are usually very fair in trade dealings.
MFC is a shamozzle. Players fleeing faster than rats on a sinking ship!
In light of Oliver’s large + lengthy contact, their mistake IMO, MFC has to suck up some of the loss. As a business, Geelong isn’t a charity to rescue Melbourne.

Problems at MFC from many areas.

Drug coverup, offsite testing + players omitted with fictitious injuries.

Friction between Petracca + Viney was reported in 2023. Subsequently, Oliver accepted the invitation to live with Gawn + wife Jessica.

Oliver isn’t the only one at Melbourne with issues.
Bullying of staff.
Players brawling in public.
Players requesting trades after 2022 season.
Other drug related issues.

All reported + available publicly.

Melbourne has to accept responsibility + be accountable. It’s only reasonable to negotiate a deal with Geelong, to get rid of Oliver.

My thoughts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone here might be able to corroborate or clarify, but do I recall that after the Jack Bowes deal the league changed the rules regarding renegotiation contracts for traded players?

Geelong spread out Bowes huge contract and I don’t think the rest of the league were happy with it with the pick 7 thrown on top

I got the feeling from Scott's comments a few weeks back that the club had expected Smith to have named us as his preferred destination already and I reckon that's where this talk about Oliver is coming from now.
The club can't really get started negotiating in earnest with the WB until Smith names us.
So Oliver's name is thrown out there to try to force Smith's hand a bit. We have real back up options ("balls in the air") if you're not keen to come after all, you know.. that sort of thing.
I hope, anyway. As far as I'm concerned with Oliver, Melbourne can sleep in the bed they made.
That theory does have some merit. At the end of the day if he isn't fully committed to coming, or he's trying to bleed us for as much money as possible, maybe he's not for us.

He may well have already committed and its just not been announced. Willo is right, Danger was never formally announced either.

He could also be keeping options open and seeing if Pies can get P12 as part of the Noble deal. He may well have an interest in playing for them too.

I think we will get him, but it's an interesting situation and many different theories which could be applied here.

On SM-A526B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It was a pretty bad year, and very recent, but ok, point taken.
Relative to his own standards it was poor. Relative to the comp it was still above average.

IMG_5095.jpeg

Relative to his own standards it was poor. Relative to the comp it was still above average.

View attachment 2127690
if that is the lower end of the scale and there is an apparent massive gap between his best and his worst then it is an absolute no brainer to look into him if available

That theory does have some merit. At the end of the day if he isn't fully committed to coming, or he's trying to bleed us for as much money as possible, maybe he's not for us.

He may well have already committed and its just not been announced. Willo is right, Danger was never formally announced either.

He could also be keeping options open and seeing if Pies can get P12 as part of the Noble deal. He may well have an interest in playing for them too.

I think we will get him, but it's an interesting situation and many different theories which could be applied here.

On SM-A526B using BigFooty.com mobile app
If Coll get pick 12 for Noble i call bullshit scam as at best he is worth a mid second rounder

View attachment 2127690
You can show me stats all you like but watching him it was painfully obvious he wasn't up to standard this year.

Due to me playing AFL fantasy i have watched him a lot over the years and if the normal Oliver was an A grade version this one was a D grade version.

You can show me stats all you like but watching him it was painfully obvious he wasn't up to standard this year.

Due to me playing AFL fantasy i have watched him a lot over the years and if the normal Oliver was an A grade version this one was a D grade version.

I don’t think anyone would disagree that he wasn’t close to his usual standards this season? His hand was (is?) cooked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back