Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

I know his management are fielding offers despite what they've said (managers always lie about this stuff to die heat down) and Carlton and at least 2 other vic clubs are pushing hard. But my understanding is no one is willing to pay Geelong price (which is 2 r1s or equivalent) so I doubt it happens this year. Next year is pretty likely though which is why we need to look at replacement talls this year and next.

He’s telling people close to him that his manager is talking with Geelong on a contract extension.

He’s going nowhere. Feet are firmly planted on the Surfcoast. Not long finished building a new house.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

SDK had an immense 2022 and played a big part in our 16-game winning streak and premiership, however his last 2 years have been very, very average. I’d like to keep him but getting in Smith & Oliver does mean you may have to lose one, and maybe the club are happy for SDK to explore his options.

I’m still leaning to him leaving after 2025 but wouldn’t surprise me at all if he finds himself a new home after this upcoming trade period. Big year for COS next year if we do lose SDK.

I’d be wanting 11 plus 31 from the Blues for SDK.

That would be the minimum I'd want (really I'd want 11 and a late teems pick as the club would) and I wouldn't trade 11 to melb (I'd keep it).
But it's hard because Carlton don't necessarily have as much cap space as other vic clubs are offering sdk until they push these other guys out (and most are contracted which is a problem for them). I'm also not sure Geelong can get cover for him (which we will need given Stanley blicavs and Conway are old or injured) in this trade period (its pretty late to be chasing talls now).

SDK might end up being a gun ruck tbh... He does find the footy a lot around the ground.

If COS is a gun Key Defender, we just need to get those Mids in Oliver and Baz... I'd be happy to offload someone like a Clark if that helps get it done. Try keep next year's first round pick if we can.

With Smith and Oliver I wouldn’t worry who we play in defence.

The ball won’t be down there.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Trading SDK would be brave.

Where exactly do you find another 204 cm agile and skilled young player who has proven to elite KPD, developing as a potential ruck, and could ultimately fill a major gap as a tall forward in a few years.

To get Butters, I would consider it. To bring in Oliver or Smith would seem too bigger risk unless they think he’s going next year anyway
Might be the related to the saying you have to spend money to make money. We have been poor in the midfield for the past couple of years and it needs to be addressed to be super competitive. Also SDK obviously has an issue with his knee. In the past two years there have been two instances where he has gone down as if shot with nobody around him and Chris Scott has alluded to there being an issue there so maybe in the future he could have further issues ?

Geelong: Oliver

MFC: F1 (Carlton)

Carlton: SDK

Look, it's not ideal, but Willo_'s right.

If the club has immense faith in COS, and desires to keep their future first too, it might not be the worst thing in the world.

My bigger worry would honestly be our ruck stocks if Stanley/Conway went down rather than our defenders.

JHenry & COS won't be going away anytime soon, and Kolo & Stewart have a while left too.
I may be very much in the minority, but I don’t hate this.

SDK has been a shadow of his former self since early 2023, and I’m not sure he will ever fulfil the promise we all saw in 2022.

Three conditions for mine though:

1/ Carlton’s R2 comes to us as well. F1 + R2 is fairer comp for a 22yo 204cm premiership KPP.

2/ Melbourne pay enough of Oliver’s salary to get our share under $1m/yr.

3/ We prioritise another key defender. COS still very young, Henry & Kolo undersized, really only leaves Blitz and it would be helpful to have some flexibility with him.

Would be really silly to trade SDK especially for for a draft pick. Wouldn’t even make sense as he’s young and would have more potential than the player we take with that pick anyway.

If he leaves at the end of his contract then so be it no hard feelings but that’s a risk I’d take over trading him now. But if things fall our way and we can put Smith and Oliver together he’d have a hard time leaving I think.

Any suggestions?

Adored Oisin’s long hair, gallant to donate it when he went short 😻 But now, in games, I can’t tell him apart from Mannagh 🤦🏻‍♀️ 😹

I’m open to the groovy Covid mullet 🤣 Is that still a ‘thing’?

Over to you Kitcat 😻
I have scribbled a few ideas on my sketch pad, without any great success, but a shorter mane definitely looks promising.

On a slightly different note I’d be open to looking at a key forward back up. I know it’s very hard to find decent key forwards but we basically only have Neale and Jezza on the list now as key forwards.
Personally I would’ve kept Rohan for another year at least as back up. I guess Dekoning or Henry could play there if needed but having another player to drop in would be handy. We’re obviously pretty thin with rucks as well so not like we can put one of them in.

Drop a rookie spot on Tabaner or even through a spot to Membrey? Not asking them to be anything they can’t just be good to have a backup if we need it.
If the trades work out as hoped the ball should be coming down there a lot.

There’s the option of a smaller forward line with Henry, Stengle, Martin and danger as targets. But I’d like some tall options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the club has immense faith in COS, and desires to keep their future first too, it might not be the worst thing in the world.

My bigger worry would honestly be our ruck stocks if Stanley/Conway went down rather than our defenders.

JHenry & COS won't be going away anytime soon, and Kolo & Stewart have a while left too.

Oliver , Sam Dek …and Carltons future R1 ..which could should be later in draft? Carlton making out like bandits

Carlton need to give up more to balance Sam imo ..whether thats players or picks. The question is … Sam Dek v Oliver for us. For the trade out of Sam …. I am not taking Oliver on some sort of hurt locker contract

With no SDK our ruck options are:

Conway: just had a pin put in his navicular
Stanley: 34 before Christmas
Blicavs: 34 by gather round
Neale: Not really rucked effectively at the level
Furphy: one vfl season removed from basketball
Edwards: built like a broomstick currently

How could you let him go without a ruck solution in place for next year?

Oliver , Sam Dek …and Carltons future R1 ..which could should be later in draft? Carlton making out like bandits

Carlton need to give up more to balance Sam imo ..whether thats players or picks. The question is … Sam Dek v Oliver for us. For the trade out of Sam …. I am not taking Oliver on some sort of hurt locker contract
I wouldn't want to lose SDK for Oliver if we have Smith but if he has decided he wants to go we don't have a choice. May as well get Oliver.

Gees when i said just two weeks ago that if they keep in blicavs in the prelim for sdk we may lose sdk i was being flippant. Was all told i was being a doomsdayer.

Now you are all running with it. Yeek.. Was it really worth playing a 33 year old blicavs in the prelim to risk losing a 23 year old sdk when sdk was already better then blicavs as a defender and a ruckman (and almost certainly a foward?)

With no SDK our ruck options are:

Conway: just had a pin put in his navicular
Stanley: 34 before Christmas
Blicavs: 34 by gather round
Neale: Not really rucked effectively at the level
Furphy: one vfl season removed from basketball
Edwards: built like a broomstick currently

How could you let him go without a ruck solution in place for next year?
If we're doing it, we either have supreme confidence in Conway's durability, or we're bringing in another ruck.

Would be bordering on negligence otherwise, and that's coming from someone who thinks rucks are overrated.

Gees when i said just two weeks ago that if they keep in blicavs in the prelim for sdk we may lose sdk i was being flippant. Was all told i was being a doomsdayer.

Now you are all running with it. Yeek.. Was it really worth playing a 33 year old blicavs in the prelim to risk losing a 23 year old sdk when sdk was already better then blicavs as a defender and a ruckman (and almost certainly a foward?)
I don't think passing him up fresh off surgery did it, the dollars discussed in the phone calls to his manager would have

Why wouldn’t we just give out future first? No way we do that deal.

If we're doing it, we either have supreme confidence in Conway's durability, or we're bringing in another ruck.

Would be bordering on negligence otherwise, and that's coming from someone who thinks rucks are overrated.
I don't rate rucks either but you need to actually field one. Without SDK or a trade in i don't see how we do it and a vfl plodder ain't going to do it

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back