Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

WE COULD TRADE THIS GUY IN

View attachment 2129830

Is that more like it?

Red Card No GIF by Bouygues Telecom

:p

The thing is with Cornes he has been consistently strong against bumper 6+ year contracts, which is something we never do
Still, why is he so anti Geelong?

Did we reject him as a player?

Did one of our players give him a bath?

Like BT, both seem irrational.

Speaking of Cornes, this morning on Trade Radio he's provided these 2 discussion points regarding what he deems the worse current contracts in the AFL, and top of the list is one Clayton Oliver

And I know we've all had a bit of discussion around the Oliver contract with us talking of it being in the range of $1million -> $1.3 million by the end of the deal - not saying the following is totally correct, but if it's even close to the truth then Oliver's remaining years average out at roughly $1.6million per year

When looking at those figures, are we starting to get into the Will Brodie or Jack Bowes territory of Melbourne almost needing to stump up something if Clayton is to find a new home, because even paying 50% of those wages would have Oliver as one of our highest paid players for the remaining years of his deal - surely we're taking a 1st round pick off the table without Melbourne paying 50% of his remaining deal

Here’s a simple way to look at how Geelong manage their salary cap for idiots screaming “how are Geelong able to afford these players”.

Stengle and Holmes were apparently offered deals of around 1 million a year from other clubs. They’ve both left around 400-500k a year combined on the table. Let’s say Jack Henry is on unders of around 600-650k which is just a guess (but he wouldnt be the only one) . Josh Battle is getting 900k. Henry is better and could get something similar.

So between those three players there would be around 600-800k free that they could’ve got somewhere else. There’s your Bailey Smith money.

This is spot on. Well written.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I love the fact we are having a crack at Oliver but seemingly only our terms. I reckon it’s only a small chance it happens. And that’s fine. But if it does happen, I can’t see us paying more than 800-900K per year and not giving up any more than a future first. Maybe Oliver would agree to taking less money? Who knows but we aren’t being desperate and that is the right approach.

I’ve got Dekoning as our ruck next season but I have my doubts on him being able to play the role. I’d be disappointed to lose him though.
Even if we did get a good offer say from Carlton I’d be annoyed if it all just went on the Oliver and smith trades when if we don’t get those assets we can get them done anyway.

If Dekoning does go I’d be wanting a ruck coming back, blues could throw in Pittonet I guess.
I reckon the Club has Chilli as their ruck with Rhys the reliever. With a few games thrown into Edwards who has put on a stone over the past 3-4 months i have heard. With a whisper i'm hearing of a journeyman coming in mainly for insurance. Cost is the issue. A Big massive Giant Phucker. Again cost. We are short of cash for obvious reasons lol.

I reckon the Club has Chilli as their ruck with Rhys the reliever. With a few games thrown into Edwards who has put on a stone over the past 3-4 months i have heard. With a whisper i'm hearing of a journeyman coming in mainly for insurance. Cost is the issue. A Big massive Giant Phucker. Again cost. We are short of cash for obvious reasons lol.

Decoding your riddles again (which I love) that’s obviously Pruess. There’s no way money is the issue though, he was pretty much begging to be signed by anyone on trade radio yesterday

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would be very concerning, Conway has not been able to play out even half a season so far, Stanley plays well once a month and Edwards is chasing Conway with injury concerns.

Bam. Jay Clark reporting Oliver wants Geelong. I swear this guy has the same source as me as he reports what I write in here within days/hours again and again.

Strap in, this is going to be one of the biggest moves in recent memory.

The drama and question marks around it.

People forgetting Oliver was the best player in the competition for two years straight. And we have a chance to get him. Do you know how rare that is?

Yes, he’s had personal issues and is coming off a shocking year. But we will get him right and he will be back.

A midfield of Oliver + Smith. With Danger, Bruhn, Stewart, Clark, Bowes etc. rolling through, becomes arguably the best and most rounded midfield in the competition.

We have Oliver who can rack up 30 disposals at will whose whole game is about creating run for others - Smith, Danger and Holmes.

As well as Smith who can rack up 30 disposals and being the burst player from the front of the pack we so desperately need.

It won’t squander the development of Bruhn and Clark, it will allow them to flourish. If they only get 15-20 touches now, it won’t cost us a game. They’ll be able to focus on what they do best, which is bringing aggression and pressure, while also being able to burst from the contest themselves.

It will change our whole dynamic in a way that seemed like a dream. The amount of crap I’ve copped from close mates for hyping up getting the two of these guys for the entire season is crazy. Obviously it’s not done, I’m just making a case for those doubting Oliver and Smith.

Oh by the way, imagine a fit and firing Jack Martin on the end of these plays. The guy is pure silk.

Let’s make this happen now.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The funniest deal with Oliver would be if he signs with Geelong for a single pick then renegotiated his contract with Geelong.

Unless Oliver agrees to rip up his contract prior to leaving Melbourne, not sure exactly how anything gets renegotiated once he gets to Geelong

Reports suggest that over the remaining 6 years of his current deal, he's owed somewhere between $7million & $10million - having not long turned 27, he's not exactly at an age where we can spread out the remaining money owed over 10years

His contract is what it is, it will just depend on the split in who pays what over those remaining years

Oliver is out the door I reckon. Where there's smoke there's fire, and right now there's an urgent call for all available units at Fire Rescue Victoria to get to the MCG as quickly as they can. The joint is literally inches away from self combusting.

Petracca is holding a gun to the clubs head and has been a big driver of getting Oliver out the door. That's what I'm told by someone well connected at the club (inside the club). Petracca has made a big song and dance about the need for change and anyone who can't get on the bus and toe the line, needs to be left at the station. Oliver is clearly the one he's zeroed in on. Not exactly a "choose me or him" scenario, but that's effectively where the club finds itself.

As I've posted previously, the need to be seen to do something is also weighing heavily from the top. Pert and Goodwin are under immense pressure and appreciate that they need to be seen to do something. Pert privately shopping Oliver is a clear indication of that. If Pert and Goodwin aren't on the same page when it comes to Oliver then I think it will just further fracture the playing list and the broader club.

Bam. Jay Clark reporting Oliver wants Geelong. I swear this guy has the same source as me as he reports what I write in here within days/hours again and again.

Strap in, this is going to be one of the biggest moves in recent memory.

The drama and question marks around it.

People forgetting Oliver was the best player in the competition for two years straight. And we have a chance to get him. Do you know how rare that is?

Yes, he’s had personal issues and is coming off a shocking year. But we will get him right and he will be back.

A midfield of Oliver + Smith. With Danger, Bruhn, Stewart, Clark, Bowes etc. rolling through, becomes arguably the best and most rounded midfield in the competition.

We have Oliver who can rack up 30 disposals at will whose whole game is about creating run for others - Smith, Danger and Holmes.

As well as Smith who can rack up 30 disposals and being the burst player from the front of the pack we so desperately need.

It won’t squander the development of Bruhn and Clark, it will allow them to flourish. If they only get 15-20 touches now, it won’t cost us a game. They’ll be able to focus on what they do best, which is bringing aggression and pressure, while also being able to burst from the contest themselves.

It will change our whole dynamic in a way that seemed like a dream. The amount of crap I’ve copped from close mates for hyping up getting the two of these guys for the entire season is crazy. Obviously it’s not done, I’m just making a case for those doubting Oliver and Smith.

Oh by the way, imagine a fit and firing Jack Martin on the end of these plays. The guy is pure silk.

Let’s make this happen now.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Not that rare nowadays considering we got danger and Jez in the past 10 years. 😂

He can, it’s only if a player moves as a free agent they can’t due to the compensation being linked. But would a player give money away? Very unlikely

There was a lot of backlash after we signed Bowes, accepted pick 7 and then smoothed out his contract over an additional 2 years - the AFL was looking at stopping that sort of practice

Edit - corrected the years mentioned

Speaking of Cornes, this morning on Trade Radio he's provided these 2 discussion points regarding what he deems the worse current contracts in the AFL, and top of the list is one Clayton Oliver

😜

IMG_0708.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back