Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

mild panic
Someone would have to come and offer overs for that to happen. Can’t see it. Those eyeing him off would want it done on the cheap which isn’t happening. We have no need to offload him.

Welcome back.
We’ve missed you here
Thank you my friend. I appreciate it. Just biding my time to get to England.

I've been busy studying and improving myself.

Mitch Hardie on afl trade radio atm. They asked if he was ever told he was close.Sounded like Scott never told him he was close to getting a game… “I felt I was close to getting a game but the coach prefers to back in players he knows”
Bollocks. Wasn’t close from what I watched. And I’ve watched a bit in 40 odd years. Had more exposed form but Scott went with Humphries and also Mannagh and got it right. Sour grapes.

Oliver is out the door I reckon. Where there's smoke there's fire, and right now there's an urgent call for all available units at Fire Rescue Victoria to get to the MCG as quickly as they can. The joint is literally inches away from self combusting.

Petracca is holding a gun to the clubs head and has been a big driver of getting Oliver out the door. That's what I'm told by someone well connected at the club (inside the club). Petracca has made a big song and dance about the need for change and anyone who can't get on the bus and toe the line, needs to be left at the station. Oliver is clearly the one he's zeroed in on. Not exactly a "choose me or him" scenario, but that's effectively where the club finds itself.

As I've posted previously, the need to be seen to do something is also weighing heavily from the top. Pert and Goodwin are under immense pressure and appreciate that they need to be seen to do something. Pert privately shopping Oliver is a clear indication of that. If Pert and Goodwin aren't on the same page when it comes to Oliver then I think it will just further fracture the playing list and the broader club.

Id love to get a feel for the mindset of Oliver in this..and what he wants from Geelong. How he feels about being pushed out… and what he wants to be at Geelong… Does he just want to be a part of a group.. Be a star. Rule the roost or just join with a club that offers the big little vibe. Big games. Country life. It doesn't seem like he is close with anyone at Geelong ..and Stanley is close to being done … so what does he see as his life outside footy when at Geelong. Back in Melb..or establish something like Stanley etc.

I saw some sort of podcast clip yesterday …and I dont get the feeling he is budding media star ..but thats OK… players are paid to play not be mensa members … but obviously the two questions rel to him are life style and contract. I wonder how Hocking would have relayed to him what we can offer …which is probably unlikely to be 10M over 6 years. (only a guess). but then maybe .. he is less fussed on that and wants a return to top form and winning. Its all conjecture cause the guy is hard to discern.

I really do hope so... 3rd year in the system a Top 10 pick.
So far it's been an underwhelming start to his career for whatever the reasons.
Fingers crossed it pans out but i am not holding my breath.
Especially with amount of time, money and whatever picks going into acquiring the likes of...
Bailey Smith
Clayton Oliver
and from what i am hearing the looming opportunities of a Butters and/or a Brayshaw acquisition in the upcoming year.

Surely obtaining Oliver must put a twist on Butters and Brayshaw….

Oliver (as is being reported) 100% now wants to move to Geelong. His manager has informed the club and also informed Melbourne of their clients wishes to seek a trade.

And Geelong think they can get a deal done on "favourable" terms. This no doubt includes Melbourne paying a reasonable portion of Oliver's remaining contract. I think $700-$800k pa is around the level Geelong are prepared to carry moving forward, and that's well and truly something the club can carry within the cap.

More information will come to light in the next few days but I think Cal Twomey is on the money ........."this is now a problem of Melbourne's doing". We are fast approaching the stage of "no turning back" for Melbourne and I think the player will get his wishes.

Only hick up will be Scott & Co as he isn't the ideal ruck type we want nor crave for our system.
Athlete is what we want. He is a lumbering bruiser.
But the cupboard is kinda bare with what we have to offer to acquire one cheaply.

Depending on his fitness…someone like him could change our midfield a bit.. he would crunch other rucks but whats the odds of him being fit when he is required. Slim.

Id love to get a feel for the mindset of Oliver in this..and what he wants from Geelong. How he feels about being pushed out… and what he wants to be at Geelong… Does he just want to be a part of a group.. Be a star. Rule the roost or just join with a club that offers the big little vibe. Big games. Country life. It doesn't seem like he is close with anyone at Geelong ..and Stanley is close to being done … so what does he see as his life outside footy when at Geelong. Back in Melb..or establish something like Stanley etc.

I saw some sort of podcast clip yesterday …and I dont get the feeling he is budding media star ..but thats OK… players are paid to play not be mensa members … but obviously the two questions rel to him are life style and contract. I wonder how Hocking would have relayed to him what we can offer …which is probably unlikely to be 10M over 6 years. (only a guess). but then maybe .. he is less fussed on that and wants a return to top form and winning. Its all conjecture cause the guy is hard to discern.

Surely obtaining Oliver must put a twist on Butters and Brayshaw….
Butters was never this year. Two things at play in 12 months time ....... next years draft is thought to be very good and that's why there'll be more player movement this year - however the majority of clubs are expected to focus on draft next year, and second, Geelong will have to give up too much for Butters to leave a year early (this year).

Another factor with Butters is his close relationship with Hinkley. He won't coach at Port beyond 2025 and when he goes, so too will Butters in many people's opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cornes is right. How can we afford a 1-1.3 million contract.

There is more to come out on Oliver. Fire sale.

Yes and no, for it's the second time now that Oliver and his management has been told by the MFC to look outside the club for possible options elsewhere and this is already knowing, with the noose that hangs around his head with regards to his outrageous long-term hefty contract. So with that in mind, they know that no other club will not come even close to matching those contract terms, so one way or another the MFC must be prepared to negotiate, otherwise they would have never told him to look at other options, even more-so this year.

Speaking of Cornes, this morning on Trade Radio he's provided these 2 discussion points regarding what he deems the worse current contracts in the AFL, and top of the list is one Clayton Oliver

And I know we've all had a bit of discussion around the Oliver contract with us talking of it being in the range of $1million -> $1.3 million by the end of the deal - not saying the following is totally correct, but if it's even close to the truth then Oliver's remaining years average out at roughly $1.6million per year

When looking at those figures, are we starting to get into the Will Brodie or Jack Bowes territory of Melbourne almost needing to stump up something if Clayton is to find a new home, because even paying 50% of those wages would have Oliver as one of our highest paid players for the remaining years of his deal - surely we're taking a 1st round pick off the table without Melbourne paying 50% of his remaining deal

Love the fact that Essendon and Richmond account for 40% of that top ten 😍

Exactly, would be doing himself a disservice to sign a new contract at possibly yie lower ebb of his career. Holding out and backing himself in to improve and therefore increase his value ala Max Holmes last contract
The new contract could be flexible, with a performance bonus if he returns to form.

One thing to bare in mind is that we'd have way more cap space then we'd know what to do with it. We have few players locked into deals greater than 4 years. We just thinned out a bunch of unproductive players who weren't on base wage contracts. We have a bunch of vets on single year contracts. We'll have double figure players on base wages next year

We can afford to cover a few bad contracts as long as we stay challenging.
I think there's no question we could afford his salary. But I think the question is more, do we think we're getting maximum value out of using ~$8mil of cap space in that way? Assuming he's on 1.3 x 6years, but that figure has also been quoted as high as $10mill total and as low as $6mil.

Even if our out of pocket would be closer to $5.5mil (900k x 6y) if we get Melbourne to chip in, we could still potentially get a very good, but lower risk option, with that money next year.

Butters was never this year. Two things at play in 12 months time ....... next years draft is thought to be very good and that's why there'll be more player movement this year - however the majority of clubs are expected to focus on draft next year, and second, Geelong will have to give up too much for Butters to leave a year early (this year).

Another factor with Butters is his close relationship with Hinkley. He won't coach at Port beyond 2025 and when he goes, so too will Butters in many people's opinion.
Butters is contracted until the end of 26. Are we planning to pay up two firsts at the end of '25 before he hits free agency so that Port can get more for him than just a single compensation pick?

Bam. Jay Clark reporting Oliver wants Geelong. I swear this guy has the same source as me as he reports what I write in here within days/hours again and again.

Strap in, this is going to be one of the biggest moves in recent memory.

The drama and question marks around it.

People forgetting Oliver was the best player in the competition for two years straight. And we have a chance to get him. Do you know how rare that is?

Yes, he’s had personal issues and is coming off a shocking year. But we will get him right and he will be back.

A midfield of Oliver + Smith. With Danger, Bruhn, Stewart, Clark, Bowes etc. rolling through, becomes arguably the best and most rounded midfield in the competition.

We have Oliver who can rack up 30 disposals at will whose whole game is about creating run for others - Smith, Danger and Holmes.

As well as Smith who can rack up 30 disposals and being the burst player from the front of the pack we so desperately need.

It won’t squander the development of Bruhn and Clark, it will allow them to flourish. If they only get 15-20 touches now, it won’t cost us a game. They’ll be able to focus on what they do best, which is bringing aggression and pressure, while also being able to burst from the contest themselves.

It will change our whole dynamic in a way that seemed like a dream. The amount of crap I’ve copped from close mates for hyping up getting the two of these guys for the entire season is crazy. Obviously it’s not done, I’m just making a case for those doubting Oliver and Smith.

Oh by the way, imagine a fit and firing Jack Martin on the end of these plays. The guy is pure silk.

Let’s make this happen now.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Never stop being you 😍

Zouz Kitty.. you are a keeper 😂

ricky gervais laughing GIF

Butters is contracted until the end of 26. Are we planning to pay up two firsts at the end of '25 before he hits free agency so that Port can get more for him than just a single compensation pick?
2026 checks out.

PFD, Blitz, Duncan, Bews, & Stanley all gone. Stewart & Cameron on 1-2 year deals you would suspect.

We could probably do it next year, but we can definitely do it the year after.

Plus, if Butters already wants to go and Port won't let him, then that says to me that won't change until he's actually OOC.

Similar to Warner at the Swans right now, and TK for us.

Unless they flat out refuse to play, or the club is better off rebuilding, you keep those guys on the off-chance you might just pinch a flag.

I think that's the plan which is why the structure of this years deals (and what we give up) is linked very closely to how the Butters scenario plays out in a years time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back