Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Melbourne can't shop him without retaining some of that cash. He'd be untradeable
Agreed. I suspect if the deal is done, Melb will have to pay part of his contract. But let's not forget that all clubs have an extra $3 million on their salary caps from this year, so it might be possible for the Cats to absorb most of his current contract. Whatever happens has to be ticked off by the AFL, so if it doesn't fit our salary cap, the AFL won't approve the deal.

Bam. Jay Clark reporting Oliver wants Geelong. I swear this guy has the same source as me as he reports what I write in here within days/hours again and again.

Strap in, this is going to be one of the biggest moves in recent memory.

The drama and question marks around it.

People forgetting Oliver was the best player in the competition for two years straight. And we have a chance to get him. Do you know how rare that is?

Yes, he’s had personal issues and is coming off a shocking year. But we will get him right and he will be back.

A midfield of Oliver + Smith. With Danger, Bruhn, Stewart, Clark, Bowes etc. rolling through, becomes arguably the best and most rounded midfield in the competition.

We have Oliver who can rack up 30 disposals at will whose whole game is about creating run for others - Smith, Danger and Holmes.

As well as Smith who can rack up 30 disposals and being the burst player from the front of the pack we so desperately need.

It won’t squander the development of Bruhn and Clark, it will allow them to flourish. If they only get 15-20 touches now, it won’t cost us a game. They’ll be able to focus on what they do best, which is bringing aggression and pressure, while also being able to burst from the contest themselves.

It will change our whole dynamic in a way that seemed like a dream. The amount of crap I’ve copped from close mates for hyping up getting the two of these guys for the entire season is crazy. Obviously it’s not done, I’m just making a case for those doubting Oliver and Smith.

Oh by the way, imagine a fit and firing Jack Martin on the end of these plays. The guy is pure silk.

Let’s make this happen now.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Biggest question in Oliver, is what will have to give up for Oliver? And is Melbourne going to pay any of his salary?

I dunno I think Oliver at $1mpa is a good contract for a late first out when you risk weight it i guess. My thoughts can't grasp a solid value because the span of outcomes is too large.

I'm not saying a trade doesn't make sense for us, rather that the cap space we've got from not giving out dumb contracts is about to be taken up with another clubs dumb contract.
I doubt any contract we can agree to take on will be of dumb proportions. We have been getting by not paying for blue chip mids for a while. This would put us in the realm of paying market value for a gun mid, in the hope that we get him back to that level.

Cornes is right. How can we afford a 1-1.3 million contract.

There is more to come out on Oliver. Fire sale.
What do you mean by can't afford? I don't see why we wouldn't have that much in the cap. If Melbourne could fit that in, then we should be able to too right?

Unless you mean 'can't afford ' in the same way that I 'can't afford' a brand new car, even through I technically have the money available.

Red Card No GIF by Bouygues Telecom

:p

Unless one of Conway, Edwards, Furphy, Blicavs or De Koning are leaving we are not getting another ruckman. I assume here that Stanley is confirmed as going again.

Out of the Scott Gillan article today, kinda get annoyed when blokes I hope to be something are the ones who’s name ends up on top of the list to move.

“It will most likely become a fire sale given the Cats will use their first-round selection (around No. 20) to secure Smith so the Demons won’t be getting a high draft pick, instead possibly a package of picks and a young talented fringe player such as Mitch Knevitt.”

I think Knevitt can be something, he’s not Clayton Oliver though at this stage.
But they're not Pokemon, we can't collect/keep them all. I like Knevitt and think he can become something but if someone wanted Knevitt and it helped getting other trades done then have at him. Would much prefer to lose Knevitt than SDK or even Clark for example. Just my opinion obviously, don't tar and feather me please, my sensitive soul couldn't take it 😉
Chicken Flapping GIF by Squad Busters

Yeah, I’m pretty confident as he’s the one who told me about Smith amping up just before news broke. About Davies just before news broke. And most importantly he stuck with the fact we were heavily into Oliver this entire time and never swayed on that. Along with Waterman and a couple of others as well. His biggest one being the aforementioned Oliver, when every journalist was making it seem dead in the water he kept persisting it was more alive than ever. Hasn’t got one wrong yet, which has also made me look on the money obviously but I’m just relaying what I’m told. So, when it comes to SDK and him not hearing about it. I’ll assume it doesn’t exist. Let’s just hope it’s not something being kept extremely hush that even he’s not hearing.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Does your mate have any inkling on this week's Powerball numbers by any chance?
Scrooge Mcduck Money GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. I suspect if the deal is done, Melb will have to pay part of his contract. But let's not forget that all clubs have an extra $3 million on their salary caps from this year, so it might be possible for the Cats to absorb most of his current contract. Whatever happens has to be ticked off by the AFL, so if it doesn't fit our salary cap, the AFL won't approve the deal.
Yeah but his contract is linked to TPP so it goes up with it

Yeah im just saying dont make comments about the coach preferring players “he knows” like he hadnt been watching you, sounds salty
Despite the flaws in his game that are the reason he wasn’t picked he performed really well particularly this season. It actually sounded like he didn’t have any communication from Scott. Which is the direct question he was asked, I was interested to hear his response as he could’ve easily made Scott and the club look poor in light of his situation. I thought he handled it well, he’s not going to lie and say they communicated it all with him if they didn’t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back