Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Agreed. I suspect if the deal is done, Melb will have to pay part of his contract. But let's not forget that all clubs have an extra $3 million on their salary caps from this year, so it might be possible for the Cats to absorb most of his current contract. Whatever happens has to be ticked off by the AFL, so if it doesn't fit our salary cap, the AFL won't approve the deal.

It's an extra $2million, not $3 million in the salary cap starting next season:

The total player payments will jump from $15,022,778 in 2023 to $15,788,222 this year, before rising to $17.76m in 2025, $18.29m in 2026 and $18.44m in 2027.

And don't forget we have likely already factored some of that into our own player payments going forward - so yes we'd have money available, but not necessarily a chunk that large of that magnitude

Oliver (as is being reported) 100% now wants to move to Geelong. His manager has informed the club and also informed Melbourne of their clients wishes to seek a trade.

And Geelong think they can get a deal done on "favourable" terms. This no doubt includes Melbourne paying a reasonable portion of Oliver's remaining contract. I think $700-$800k pa is around the level Geelong are prepared to carry moving forward, and that's well and truly something the club can carry within the cap.

More information will come to light in the next few days but I think Cal Twomey is on the money ........."this is now a problem of Melbourne's doing". We are fast approaching the stage of "no turning back" for Melbourne and I think the player will get his wishes.
Honestly, if we can have him for 700k, sign me up.

But reports (and who knows if true) are saying his remaining 6 years are worth up to $10mil. That would mean Melbourne would be paying 900k/year, or a total of $5.8mil, for him to play at another club. I just don't know how they'd agree to do that.

It would mean despite Oliver not playing for Melbourne, he'd be taking up more of Melbourne's cap space than nearly all of the players that are actually playing there! If we could pull that off, it would make even the Bowes trade look mundane.

With all these rumours going around, it seems that the promise of an excellent culture is a massive draw card for players.

Helps that ex-Geelong players who came from other clubs find spots in the media and talk about how good it is.

Almost better than getting the players we're discussing (provided they all land) is the absolute apoplectic, yet impotent, rage we'll see from opposition supporters and "the haters" in the media.

Oliver (as is being reported) 100% now wants to move to Geelong. His manager has informed the club and also informed Melbourne of their clients wishes to seek a trade.

And Geelong think they can get a deal done on "favourable" terms. This no doubt includes Melbourne paying a reasonable portion of Oliver's remaining contract. I think $700-$800k pa is around the level Geelong are prepared to carry moving forward, and that's well and truly something the club can carry within the cap.

More information will come to light in the next few days but I think Cal Twomey is on the money ........."this is now a problem of Melbourne's doing". We are fast approaching the stage of "no turning back" for Melbourne and I think the player will get his wishes.

I’m not aware he has formerly requested a trade. I don’t think that’s the case just yet. I know he WANTS to go but atm it’s in a holding pattern.

Btw, Tom Morris is saying similar on radio.

Zouz Kitty.. you are a keeper 😂

ricky gervais laughing GIF
cat love GIF

Butters was never this year. Two things at play in 12 months time ....... next years draft is thought to be very good and that's why there'll be more player movement this year - however the majority of clubs are expected to focus on draft next year, and second, Geelong will have to give up too much for Butters to leave a year early (this year).

Another factor with Butters is his close relationship with Hinkley. He won't coach at Port beyond 2025 and when he goes, so too will Butters in many people's opinion.

OOC 2026…. are we looking at him as a FA then..or do you mean 2025 contracted.

Careful what you say Mitch, dont bite the hand that put you on the radar and gave you a chance to join an AFL club, cryptic backhanded comments wont get you far, “he prefers players who get to a prelim final not one way VFL runners”, reality is you werent good enough even if you thought you were.

Settle down. You're trying to get offended by nothing. He was absolutely fine and came across as very respectful and thankful to the club.

All he said was that when he thought he might be close they went another way by moving guys like Stewart and Holmes into midfield. Which is obviously true. He didn't even imply he thought he was unlucky and didn't sound at all bitter about it.

Id love to get a feel for the mindset of Oliver in this..and what he wants from Geelong. How he feels about being pushed out… and what he wants to be at Geelong… Does he just want to be a part of a group.. Be a star. Rule the roost or just join with a club that offers the big little vibe. Big games. Country life. It doesn't seem like he is close with anyone at Geelong ..and Stanley is close to being done … so what does he see as his life outside footy when at Geelong. Back in Melb..or establish something like Stanley etc.

I saw some sort of podcast clip yesterday …and I dont get the feeling he is budding media star ..but thats OK… players are paid to play not be mensa members … but obviously the two questions rel to him are life style and contract. I wonder how Hocking would have relayed to him what we can offer …which is probably unlikely to be 10M over 6 years. (only a guess). but then maybe .. he is less fussed on that and wants a return to top form and winning. Its all conjecture cause the guy is hard to discern.

Surely obtaining Oliver must put a twist on Butters and Brayshaw….

This interview dropped yesterday and my key takeaways:

• Living on a farm would be cool
  • Joining cats chess club
  • Apparently lived with Gawn for 12 months?!
  • Seems like a good kid and dedicated but he's not going to spin it any other way in an interview
  • Sounds like that hand injury needed way more time out of the game than he got

Hope to see you again mate. Enjoy the UK
Much appreciated my friend. I've got an hour and a half until she rings me on her way to work. The princess is still asleep.

I reckon the Club has Chilli as their ruck with Rhys the reliever. With a few games thrown into Edwards who has put on a stone over the past 3-4 months i have heard. With a whisper i'm hearing of a journeyman coming in mainly for insurance. Cost is the issue. A Big massive Giant Phucker. Again cost. We are short of cash for obvious reasons lol.

Pruess would be the worst signing ever given our injury record with rucks. Yes he would be cheap but meh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not aware he has formerly requested a trade. I don’t think that’s the case just yet. I know he WANTS to go but atm it’s in a holding pattern.

Btw, Tom Morris is saying similar on radio.

If the contract is 9mil I can't see us paying more than 5.5-6 Max so that's still 3 mil to sort out and I can't see Melbourne paying that much. 1.5 I reckon they will do but not 3.
So he still has to take a paycut or something creative needs to be done with the afl to let him alter the deal.

Melbourne aren't going to pay 600k a year for him to play somewhere else though that won't happen. 300 maybe. So unless the contract can be altered with afl approval I'm not sure how it gets done. But he clearly wants to come.

If the contract is 9mil I can't see us paying more than 5.5-6 Max so that's still 3 mil to sort out and I can't see Melbourne paying that much. 1.5 I reckon they will do but not 3.
So he still has to take a paycut or something creative needs to be done with the afl to let him alter the deal.

Yeah, it’s a very complex situation.

I think that's the plan which is why the structure of this years deals (and what we give up) is linked very closely to how the Butters scenario plays out in a years time.

Trading from butters a year off free agency would be stupid. Wait till 26.

Christ I really hope this doesn't happen.

If he doesn't stop being an unfit, unprofessional dickhead, then we have paid a big price for him - and will have him stuck on the books for a very long time.

This isn't like Jack Steven where we gave up an unused pick and could cut him short by six months.

Melbourne aren't going to pay 600k a year for him to play somewhere else though that won't happen. 300 maybe. So unless the contract can be altered with afl approval I'm not sure how it gets done. But he clearly wants to come.

Nobody ever thought a team would pay a top 10 pick for a player to play somewhere else.

$600k isn't that crazy.

Collingwood paid $300k of Treloar's salary starting in 2021. The equivalent today would be closer to $500k with the salary cap jump. And Oliver's contract is much worse than Treloar's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back