Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

So the salary cap is going to be 17.76 in 25'

IF the club runs this way then $1mil for Oliver is a lot.
70% of the salary cap goes to the top 25 players. 30% to the rest.

Thats $500k per player in the top 25.

We've got Cameron, Danger, Holmes, Stengle, Stewart, Blicavs, Miers who would all be above $500k
What's the minimum contract now? $250 ish?

Try and work the maths out on that.

With SDK coming out of contract we must be cutting it fine.
I can just see players who know they'll never get a decent pay day moving. Maybe not this year. But I can see it coming.

Some people may have been saying the same thing about Joel Selwood 2 years in. He is far more direct than Parfitt and far more inclined to take the first option.

Selwood barged his way into what would go on to become a generational team. His influence was profound from day one.

If anything, people were confused as to how this young kid with a dodgy knee slipped down the order in the draft.

“Geelong looks to be in the box seat to lure Oliver down the highway and the Cats are expected to officially make their move during the trade period, which begins Monday.”

https://amp.nine.com.au/article/0d259db8-be81-4fac-9a47-839d55fb85df

I hope Geelong get him , what would have Parfitt been getting 500k , and that was absolute dead money , so we switch that 500k accross to CO , so we have nearly squared the books away allready

As for Smith , i see that as another Jade Rawlings potential disaster , and thus i hope he doesnt join the Cats , female supporters will be heartbroken but bad luck

What's the chances we look at someone like Boyd Woodcock, or at least see if he wants to sign with our VFL team?

Looks to be mates with Smith, the two are currently hanging out & training together on the Gold Coast

He'd be a mature aged signing, who turns 25 on the eve of next season and the potential for midfield depth

Maybe I need to get a new guernsey and not put a number on the back of it, because since wearing the #10 starting in 2017, games played by the respective Geelong player is 47 of a possible 192 😂
😹 😹 😹 🤦🏻‍♀️

I had a guernsey with ‘Kitty 9 Lives’ on it

Menzel wore #10 😩

If the contract is 9mil I can't see us paying more than 5.5-6 Max so that's still 3 mil to sort out and I can't see Melbourne paying that much. 1.5 I reckon they will do but not 3.
So he still has to take a paycut or something creative needs to be done with the afl to let him alter the deal.
I hear cotton on has some spare change lying around ;)

So the salary cap is going to be 17.76 in 25'

IF the club runs this way then $1mil for Oliver is a lot.
70% of the salary cap goes to the top 25 players. 30% to the rest.

Thats $500k per player in the top 25.

We've got Cameron, Danger, Holmes, Stengle, Stewart, Blicavs, Miers who would all be above $500k
What's the minimum contract now? $250 ish?

Try and work the maths out on that.

With SDK coming out of contract we must be cutting it fine.
I can just see players who know they'll never get a decent pay day moving. Maybe not this year. But I can see it coming.

$145k

From the AFLPA CBA

1727930877453.png

Dangerfield hasn't signed his new contract yet and wouldn't be surprised if he's on lower than $500k - he's earned his money and now it's adding to his retirement fund

Decoding your riddles again (which I love) that’s obviously Pruess. There’s no way money is the issue though, he was pretty much begging to be signed by anyone on trade radio yesterday
Preuss and or his management have consistently made dumb decisions on where he has gone to i.e. going from Nth to Melbourne and then to GWS. How did they think he was going to get games?

Starting to get worried we will only be able to offer Harley $1.8m a year. Guess we can always rework Bont and Butters' contracts when the time comes to fit him in on $2m.
Soon there will be only long blond hair kids at the cats..cotton on will be salivating

Likewise, I'm worried.

If it did backfire, there's a few years of unwanted attention surrounding the club during the development years of our younger brigade.

Then again, maybe a new environment is what Oliver needs. Geelong is just a different life compared to the city and surrounding suburbs of Melbourne.
For every Jesse Hogan, there's a Brendan Fevola.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Preuss and or his management have consistently made dumb decisions on where he has gone to i.e. going from Nth to Melbourne and then to GWS. How did they think he was going to get games?
If you wanted easy enough money without having to risk your body by playing at top flight, I can think of worse ways to do it.

Lucindale(where fog is from) is definitely closer to Adelaide. CEEBs putting it in Google Maps but at a guess I'd say the equation flips and Lucindale is about 45 minutes closer to AO than KP.
Not to be mean, but he also isn't that good. But maybe I'm in the minority.

I wouldn't want to spend anything on him.

With all these rumours going around, it seems that the promise of an excellent culture is a massive draw card for players.

Helps that ex-Geelong players who came from other clubs find spots in the media and talk about how good it is.

Almost better than getting the players we're discussing (provided they all land) is the absolute apoplectic, yet impotent, rage we'll see from opposition supporters and "the haters" in the media.
1727931260173.jpeg

No one would have been saying that 8 weeks in let alone 2 years.
His fourth game of league football (at the grand old age of 18) told you everything you needed to know about whether Sels was going to be a player.

25 disposals, 9 tackles, and 8 clearances in an otherwise miserable effort from almost the entire team was an extraordinary effort. And one that he backed up for another 350 games or so after that.

#nowthatselite

Melbourne aren't going to pay 600k a year for him to play somewhere else though that won't happen. 300 maybe. So unless the contract can be altered with afl approval I'm not sure how it gets done. But he clearly wants to come.
How about a few sweeteners?
Cotton On modelling contract;
A farm; +
An APCO service station

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back