Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Are we drafting any kids this year, or purely topping up and giving away draft picks?
2 Eastern Ranges kids that will be excellent prospective draftees-

Josh Smillie
Christian Moraes

-probably beyond our reach, but having a bit to do with them, always like projecting these boys in our discussions.

Are we drafting any kids this year, or purely topping up and giving away draft picks?

Josh Smillie
Christian Moraes

-probably beyond our reach, but having a bit to do with them, always like projecting these boys in our discussions.

The best we might end up with after these trades is a late second round pick so Smilie out of the question. Moraes some possibility. Might look at talls though seeing we are bringing 3 mid sized players in via trade.

Yes it’s a worry, but at the same stage in his career Gawn had played fewer games than Toby has, and had suffered two major season-ending injuries.

Even in his fourth season (which for Toby will be 2025) Gawn had injury issues and was put in the long term injury list.

Got there in the end though, didn’t he.

Gawn drafted 2009 Toby drafted 2021. If he follows Gawn from here I think all will be happy as he will be playing 40 odd games over the next 3 years

Screenshot 2024-10-03 at 3.05.46 PM.png Screenshot 2024-10-03 at 3.08.31 PM.png

Last edited:
What do peeps think of how this potentially looks for next season?

Can we make this happen?

Dempsey on the wing. Mullin in place of Atkins, who, along with Bowes & Guthrie make for handy emergencies.

In this case, Melbourne can keep him or Oliver can agree to renegotiate his current contract

Ican understand Melb point of view , they have a top line player who is 27 , only proviso is the off field issues , if they can settle that down why would they want to lose him

I mean he get a million a year , but what do the lowest paid players get a year

So say Bews and Close what would they be on a year 400k to 500k

Josh Smillie
Christian Moraes

Im pretty confident both gone before our 2 round pick .

What do you think about Cody Anderson..

..and I suspect ..considering the age of Stanley and Blitz , Hawkins gone …SamDek mentioned in trade we will have to look to add height

In this case, Melbourne can keep him or Oliver can agree to renegotiate his current contract

Let them keep him then. This is an extremely high-risk trade for us even if Melbourne do agree to pay part of Oliver's salary next year and beyond. If they're unwilling to do so, there's no way we should consider recruiting him.

Or we offer a future 4th rounder to take his contract on.

If we're taking over his contract, I was wondering if they may need to pay us a little something to take him off their hands?

And as much as Melbourne fans seem to think Oliver will stay and see out his contact, the more that comes out about the situation, the more it seems likely there being a clean break - so it's not necessarily a salary dump, but it's also not a happy family type place where they're going to be friends going into 2025

It’s deteriorated from Petracca + Oliver being friends, to Petracca ghosting Oliver, to club gaslighting Oliver by suggesting he should look elsewhere, to Pert hawking him behind his back, to Petracca saying it’s him or me + his hissy fit blaming Oliver for not winning the Brownlow?

*Might be slightly embellished for dramatic effect 😉

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no dog in this fight but they absolutely were not saying that.
I loved watching Joel his whole career and the things that set him apart were his hardness at the contest, his composure and his ability to lift. He did not have any outstanding traits but did most things well. He was not quick but at the same time was not slow. He was not a penetrating kick but his kicking was solid. His marking was adequate. He became a consistant 30 possession per game player.

I loved watching Joel his whole career and the things that set him apart were his hardness at the contest, his composure and his ability to lift. He did not have any outstanding traits but did most things well. He was not quick but at the same time was not slow. He was not a penetrating kick but his kicking was solid. His marking was adequate. He became a consistant 30 possession per game player.
Perhaps you are confining yourself to pure consideration of his skill. But I would say that his leadership on the field was absolutely elite from the very earliest days. I've certainly watched players over the years with better skills than him. But I've never seen anyone come in and lead on the paddock from early in his debut season like the skipper.

Let them keep him then. This is an extremely high-risk trade for us even if Melbourne do agree to pay part of Oliver's salary next year and beyond. If they're unwilling to do so, there's no way we should consider recruiting him.
If Oliver REALLY wants to come to the cats he will be happy to reset the contract and get paid a bit less. I sort of think its more of a risk trading our first round draft picks for him than paying a player 1m+ that has some issues. Draft picks are like gold.

If the contract is 9mil I can't see us paying more than 5.5-6 Max so that's still 3 mil to sort out and I can't see Melbourne paying that much. 1.5 I reckon they will do but not 3.
So he still has to take a paycut or something creative needs to be done with the afl to let him alter the deal.
May as well, pay the extra I say, I know it's not something we'd normally do but how often does an opportunity like this come along?

Perhaps you are confining yourself to pure consideration of his skill. But I would say that his leadership on the field was absolutely elite from the very earliest days. I've certainly watched players over the years with better skills than him. But I've never seen anyone come in and lead on the paddock from early in his debut season like the skipper.
I agree with you. Joel had the unique and intangible ability to lift the side and carry them with him. It is a trait that few footballers have. The others that spring to mind for me are James Hird at Essendon and Michael Voss at Brisbane.

My comments were in response to comments about Jhye Clark. A kid who has injury concerns and has not had the opportunity to develop playing in an absolutely elite midfield.

It will all depend on who is unpicked by the time we get to use our pick in draft ..what pick that is ..who knows…..

but I suspect we will have to look at talls. Add some one like this kid and develop him for 2 to 4 years like we have with Neale..

Sims needs to polish up his kick a little but more just a tidy up rather than being dreadful. Plays on ball a bit too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back