Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

A fit and happy Clayton Oliver is EXACTLY what Geelong needs.

He is the type of midfielder we have been missing for a while, a pure clearance player with amazing vision and creative hands.

Imagine Oliver releasing the over the shoulder, lookaway handball to a running Danger, Smith, Holmes or Bruhn steaming forward out of the middle.

Only question is, how do we trade in both Smith and Oliver?
Thinking the above scenario would have the potential to extend Danger's career / keep him on the park for a greater percentage of the season as he won't be having to smash himself apart cannoning into legs to win the ball or test out those hammies as much running past the stoppage and having to bend down at full speed to pick up the ball. Plus a fit healthy Danger receiving the ball running full speed through/past the stoppage is still about the most terrifying sight in the AFL for oppo mids/defenders and basically impossible to stop

Mannagh is friggin stiff?

Mannagh makes the bench - image got cut off

1727936083882.png

Changes from the prelim team are

In: SDK & Conway (already on our list), plus Martin, Oliver & Smith

Out: Bew, Bowes, Duncan, Mullin & Stanley

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we're taking over his contract, I was wondering if they may need to pay us a little something to take him off their hands?

And as much as Melbourne fans seem to think Oliver will stay and see out his contact, the more that comes out about the situation, the more it seems likely there being a clean break - so it's not necessarily a salary dump, but it's also not a happy family type place where they're going to be friends going into 2025

All you have to do is look at the Jake stringer situation. Essendon don't want him even though he still makes an impact.. They didn't even want him for the optional year due to his behaviour...

Exactly. I think its the absolute best way to bow out. Ripping finals series, great grand final, will have nothing but positive memories of his end. Good on him, I am very happy for him.

Well Tom H had the chance to go out with Joel…. so obviously its not for all. Some want to squeeze to the very last drop

Mannagh makes the bench - image got cut off

View attachment 2130192

Changes from the prelim team are

In: SDK & Conway (already on our list), plus Martin, Oliver & Smith

Out: Bew, Bowes, Duncan, Mullin & Stanley

Fair to say it's a ramp up in talent overall.

Well Tom H had the chance to go out with Joel…. so obviously its not for all. Some want to squeeze to the very last drop
I think it was pretty clear that Hawk was in better physical shape than Joel. If it weren't for the captaincy and no flag, I suspect Joel would have retired at the end of 2020 or 21.

Ican understand Melb point of view , they have a top line player who is 27 , only proviso is the off field issues , if they can settle that down why would they want to lose him

I mean he get a million a year , but what do the lowest paid players get a year

So say Bews and Close what would they be on a year 400k to 500k
300k if they play all games.

He was still all right in 2023. He could have gone out and that would have been fine, but I don't begrudge him continuing with the form he was in. Selwood was pretty much cooked by that point. Everyone is different; some can't let go and need the call made for them; some can see the writing and make the call themselves. Even if you feel you could go on, exiting on the high of a flag must feel great and certainly leaves a lasting impression.

I think of Max Rooke. Had he retired at the end of 2009, his last performance would have been a hard gritty and integral role played in our GF win, with his closing moment being a kick on the siren to cement the win. But he continued on, played one more game for the club - a bad loss to Carlton - and then succumbed to injury and never played again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back