Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

I imagine most of them are like us- they want the team to be the best it can be. And if Oliver is part of that equation that could make our midfield good again- who wouldn’t embrace that? They are all paid pretty darn well anyway. They are professionals and presumably understand that footy is also a business.
But they are all taking unders because of the lifestyle down there and because Geelong is well run great place to work club, and then they see someone brought in on overs, someone who hasn’t been playing that well and has issues.

When the next contract renewal comes up, why shouldn’t some players want a lot more?

McClure on Trade Radio reckons Melbourne are going to shutdown the Oliver trade tonight at the B&F, they sound like a genuine cluster**** of an organisation.
Just means it will happen in the last day or 2 of trade period for me, it is all just posturing to try get the best deal they can.

Every year we hear that a club will not be entertaining a trade, and then it happens still.

EVERYONE LIES

Think it’s a ridiculous amount of schadenfreude shared amongst Melbourne clubs towards Geelong’s culture. They seem to think money is the only motivator for playing footy, and it is for some players, but it’s the player welfare aspect that the city clubs seemed to not understand or fail to realise.

I feel sorry for Clayton, he’s been shopped two years running, has some off field issues but the way the club is just burning him at the stake is enough to make one quit football altogether.

and if they don't let him go then so be it, it was always a high risk high reward proposition for us, so missing out eliminates some of that risk and allows whatever else was in the works to potentially happen. We never thought it was a possibility up until 2 days ago really (here as fans I mean) so let's just see what happens, as we have seen a lot can change in a short time

also

1727993695776.png

Point B is the really important part here for me.... they are absolutely still entertaining it... to the point they clearly have had discussions with us already, watch this space.. as things change and the next 10 days evolve this is still absolutely on the cards I think

If they aren't letting him go, I believe it's because it us. They don't want to make us stronger. If he'd nominated the Saints, North etc it's a different story.

The attitude from the Bulldogs and Dees is just sad. How do they see us as competition? We're not...because they're not at our level (especially Melbourne, who will probably go backwards from here).

In F1 terms, they're like the Haas or Williams lucky to pick up a few points in 9th or 10th while we're Mercedes - not the absolute front-runner, but fighting for top 4 spots week in, week out. Haas and Mercedes rarely race each other, because they're not running the same race.

😂, so Melbourne spend two years putting feelers out there to see what sort of reception there is for Oliver from other teams, and when Geelong calls their bluff to say, "well, we'll happily meet with him & since you're the ones initiating all this, you can't expect full value", Melbourne crack the shits 😂

It's also crazy the number of Melbourne fans who've threatened to cancel their memberships if Melbourne do trade him - maybe the fans and club deserve each other

I feel sorry for Clayton. They told him to look around, but now they've decided they don't want him to go. What a shit club.
Can understand them doing it last year as an attempt to put a rocket up his arse. Two years running is just gaslighting and can only make the situation toxic at best and untenable at worst. Melbourne looked on the verge of a dynasty in ‘21 now they’ll be middling at best for a long long time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

also

View attachment 2130886

Point B is the really important part here for me.... they are absolutely still entertaining it... to the point they clearly have had discussions with us already, watch this space.. as things change and the next 10 days evolve this is still absolutely on the cards I think
Very fluid situation says it all giving himself an out before saying anything.

I think the AFL will make an exception and allow it on mental health / player welfare grounds.

His issues have been widely documented and if this helps him get a fresh start (which he clearly needs), I think they'll strongly consider it due to his unique circumstances.
I don't think they'd have a rule that this would need to be excepted from

If they aren't letting him go, I believe it's because it us. They don't want to make us stronger. If he'd nominated the Saints, North etc it's a different story.
It's because we'd take the salary and not give them a pick whereas they wanted to keep the salary and get a pick.

Good luck to them, they'll be playing a player that they transparently don't want but know that if they lose at the trade table they're all sacked

It isn't about not making us stronger. It's because they thought they could get a much better deal from other clubs.

We've probably offered a future 3rd with the demons paying 50% of his wage. They've completely destroyed their relationship with him and the only way to offload him is them getting bent over.

There at 6s and 7s Melbourne. Lots of criticism from the media and former Melbourne people for trading Oliver but then a lot of supporters are sick of the drama and want him gone.

They again seem to have tested the waters and are now retreating, pissing off both camps in the process.

They have now chosen are path that leaves everyone worse than before they floated the idea.

I'd love to know the true thoughts of Max Gawn. He has put so much time into Oliver and watching the unplaced podcast interview, it would seem Oliver really does respect him. Gawns fighting hard to lead his player whilst the club keeps changing direction on him.

I think the AFL will make an exception and allow it on mental health / player welfare grounds.

His issues have been widely documented and if this helps him get a fresh start (which he clearly needs), I think they'll strongly consider it due to his unique circumstances.
You cant rort the cap. Its a non negotiable. He has to agree to take a pay cut to get it off melbournes book.

also don't ignore the timing of the latest leak... they are trying to put out a spot fire before the B&F tonight to minimise the heat and reactions

But I would suggest early next week we hear it is still being explored, but potentially will be framed as Oliver has asked to not shut it down or see if it can be done or something along those lines

My fave thing about all this is the people that all the people pissing and moaning about "No Salary Cap at Geelong!!" and similar are usually the same ones that dismiss most of our players as "cooked" or "spuds"

You point out that we have brought in 2 high profile, highly paid players in 10 years, and the rest are mostly players other supporters don't rate (Rohan, Stanley, Reg etc) or 21 year old kids who aren't on big money (Tanner, Ollie H) and out of the rest of the side it feels like half are off the rookie draft or late picks and no top top draft picks taking big dollars... AND we don't offer inflated 6-8 year panic contracts like other clubs.

Unfortunately I am convinced about 80% of footy fans share a deformed hive mind so all they can come up with is "Ugghhhh Cotton On" in response
Same people who go on about how terrible it is to live in Geelong, yet we constantly attract players here because it’s a bloody good life here (especially if you have the money). Those same supporters live in tinny little units cramped into each other, hearing your neighbours, not having a garden - living pretty ordinary lives overall - and they call it urbane (if they even know the word).

It's because we'd take the salary and not give them a pick whereas they wanted to keep the salary and get a pick.

Good luck to them, they'll be playing a player that they transparently don't want but know that if they lose at the trade table they're all sacked
if that is what it would be, then i would be all for Mack burning a first round pick and not taking on the salary FWIW... that would be an absolute win for us

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back