Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

I don’t begrudge Oliver taking all the money owed to him, whether that be at Melbourne or Geelong.

But if he were willing to reduce his salary a fraction, even to a still sizeable $1mil/year, I’d say this trade would be done in a day.

I'm not sure the afl would allow him to reduce it like that (ie they might make melb carry the 400k in their cap similar to the franklin rule) which is where there would be an issue. As melb don't want to pay that much and Geelong won't pay it.

I'm not sure the afl would allow him to reduce it like that (ie they might make melb carry the 400k in their cap similar to the franklin rule) which is where there would be an issue. As melb don't want to pay that much and Geelong won't pay it.

Oh, right, I didn't realise that. Of course it makes sense they won't let the contract be back pedalled. I thought Oliver could have taken a small cut to bridge the difference. No wonder Melbs are squirming paying 400-500k for sweet F all.

Oh, right, I didn't realise that. Of course it makes sense they won't let the contract be back pedalled. I thought Oliver could have taken a small cut to bridge the difference. No wonder Melbs are squirming paying 400-500k for sweet F all.
Plus they are still paying Grundy’s salary to be at Syd so I can understand their positioning , but they can’t expect a club to take on that type of stupid contract and not be given something very good in return like picks or players

Melb are all over the shop

On one hand covertly trying to test the market and on the other angrily demanding that he is staying
Gives potential free agents something to think about.

Are they really interested in me or will they back out, will I really get the game time in the position they talked about or will they change their minds.

If all the rumours about Melb are true i see a very long journey back to the top for them as in the next few years more players will want out and they won't be able to get replacements so will have to build through the draft until they are ready to contend again or they fix the culture which will take at least 3-5 years if it is as bad as the rumours suggest.

Plus they are still paying Grundy’s salary to be at Syd so I can understand their positioning , but they can’t expect a club to take on that type of stupid contract and not be given something very good in return like picks or players
You can add TPP negligence to the long and growing list of fundamental aspects of the job that their management team have completely ****ed up.

If all the rumours about Melb are true i see a very long journey back to the top for them as in the next few years more players will want out and they won't be able to get replacements so will have to build through the draft until they are ready to contend again or they fix the culture which will take at least 3-5 years if it is as bad as the rumours suggest.
They have to believe that they have a problem first and l think they all have their heads so far up each other’s khybers that they can’t see a thing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least for the weekend- Front and back pages of today's Hun.
Nothing like a well place phone call to your media contact and extend your bullying. Embarrassing.
Relieved you said bullying, I think he was coerced to go 😩

I really hope Oliver has some true friends to support him. MFC still papering big cracks + the happy family circus continues.

At least for the weekend- Front and back pages of today's Hun.
Nothing like a well place phone call to your media contact and extend your bullying. Embarrassing.
think this sort of behavior shows the culture Melbourne have.

Severe drug and mental health problems, has made it clear he wants to leave, got 6 years on a contract… and they try to block him leaving.

Why on earth would you want to keep a player who has mental health and drug issues who tells you he wants to leave??? Give them the opportunity for a new start which a lot of these people need whether it’s a change of lifestyle or job, but they need often a change.

Being forced to go back to the same place same life you don’t enjoy for someone like that is doing them harm.

Is Oliver still able to proceed with going to Geelong, despite Green stomping his foot?

If Melb refuse to entertain a trade then there is not much that can be done. Why you’d hold a guy that doesn’t want to be there against his will is beyond me but there’s a lot of recent events out of that club that are extremely questionable.

If Melb refuse to entertain a trade then there is not much that can be done. Why you’d hold a guy that doesn’t want to be there against his will is beyond me but there’s a lot of recent events out of that club that are extremely questionable.
Oliver should go the ‘nuclear’ option, as Petracca threatened.

Exactly, he is going to come out and say "I want to be traded to Geelong"

And they will have to make it happen.

I don't think he will say either of the things at least publicly. He will hedge his bets in case he has to stay there. Privately is another story.

Maybe we don't know the cap auditor has their own discretion under what they deem a fair market contract etc. So they could allow him to sign with Geelong for 1mil a year or they could insist either Geelong or melb carry that extra 400k in their cap.
Melb clearly thought they could get Geelong to take on the whole 1.4 and get a r1 pick whereas Geelong has said it's one or the other (if you want a r1 pay most of his wage if we take it we will only pay a throwaway late pick) and melb have baulked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back