Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Melb forced petracca to stay and they may do the same with Oliver.
Petracca decided not to use the nuclear option.

Perhaps Oliver should + stand up to the Melbourne bully boys?

Maybe we don't know the cap auditor has their own discretion under what they deem a fair market contract etc. So they could allow him to sign with Geelong for 1mil a year or they could insist either Geelong or melb carry that extra 400k in their cap.
Melb clearly thought they could get Geelong to take on the whole 1.4 and get a r1 pick whereas Geelong has said it's one or the other (if you want a r1 pay most of his wage if we take it we will only pay a throwaway late pick) and melb have baulked.

I've gone off the whole thing a bit, we're maybe juggling too many balls. Just because we've been known to have a great knack with troubled players, each individual brings their own intrinsic problems. There's risk that money can't cure.
Just on a human perspective, it's sad he's the centre of a circus, and I hope he gets what he needs. It's clear Melbs are very troubled.

Geelong gave it a go and the final decision was out of our hands. There will be other mids they have been considering.
They did. We did.
Hope the lad is ok.
We have plenty still to plan and play out.
"I can't believe it's not Butters"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How are we feeling about Clark and Osullivan this season. Reckon they'll be best 22 by season end ?
Best 22??
Mmm Clark. Yeah Nah. Can't see it. Especially if/when Smith and Oliver land here.
More Bullish on COS. He offers us plenty of options. Another 5-6 kgs will do him wonders.
Most Bullish on Jack Martin he's the one i can't wait to see up and firing. Plays every game if fit.

Honestly... surely there is no chance of us getting Oliver now.... would have to be less then 10% chance ( unfortunately)
Lucky for some.
If he were ato have lobbed onto our laps i am sure a few youngsters would have been shown some options at other clubs to get a game or two.
I reckon it's 33% chance he still gets here. Optimistic??
Maybe.
If they want him they will offer a decent pick.
Only if they really really want him.

Honestly... surely there is no chance of us getting Oliver now.... would have to be less then 10% chance ( unfortunately)

I mean, it was always a stretch, we met with him, gave it a go, from reports Oliver was excited with what Geelong potentially pitched, he may even want to join us, but he's contracted until 2030 with Melbourne and if they're turning around now saying "He's not leaving" and won't budge on that, Geelong can't do anymore, and Oliver will have to just suck it up.

Club needs to focus on the Bailey Smith deal, we've already got Jack Martin in, and if i was Geelong i'd be looking at getting Kennedy, another big bodied mid who can find the ball and swing forward.

Best 22??
Mmm Clark. Yeah Nah. Can't see it. Especially if/when Smith and Oliver land here.
More Bullish on COS. He offers us plenty of options. Another 5-6 kgs will do him wonders.
Most Bullish on Jack Martin he's the one i can't wait to see up and firing. Plays every game if fit.
Still not out of the question Oliver via his management and the AFLPA kick up a storm about neglecting his wellbeing (mental health)
Trade period has a way to go yet

I'm not sure the afl would allow him to reduce it like that (ie they might make melb carry the 400k in their cap similar to the franklin rule) which is where there would be an issue. As melb don't want to pay that much and Geelong won't pay it.

I don’t see the issue, granted I have no idea on the specifics re. salary cap in an instance like this. The Franklin contract was only contentious because it was tied up with free agency and compensation.

The same hypothetical (reducing the size of contract) was discussed with Grundy when he moved, and the reporting around it was that it would be fine, as long as he agreed to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back