Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Blues post salary cap would be up there and Borf over the last 10 years

But from a culture stand point? Probbly the closest would be the saints in the disco days
Haha yeah there are a few contenders. Collingwood 2011-2012 with their ridiculous coach transition plan that destroyed a dynasty in the making? Bombers under Hird? North last decade for sure.

They have to believe that they have a problem first and l think they all have their heads so far up each other’s khybers that they can’t see a thing
Reminds me of a comment from a journalist about Essendon during the drugs saga.

"It's a club that not only has its head up its own arse, but also thinks the view is spectacular"

Cerra is decent but Carlton would ask for a lot. Pass
Cerra cannot play. Just one of many many players whose draft position dictates people’s opinion for life.

GWS basically on a circular loop as people think every top 20 pick they have had is a gun “in the right environment”.

The reality is he’s a run of the mill 25 year old.

The only way the Oliver one isn’t completely dead is if Paul Conners gets heavily involved now.

If Oliver really really wants to get out of there then the Conners manipulation and public positioning will start very shortly.

If you hear nothing over the next few days it’s as good as over.

FishGutz , year of the cat - McClure thinks this thing isn't dead yet, what have you guys heard?

I am yet to here anything more on it, waiting for something to come out but everything pretty quiet for me at the moment. But just on my own personal hunch, I get the sense Oliver might start making noise about a move come Monday. But I am ultimately guessing at this point until I hear something.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The only way the Oliver one isn’t completely dead is if Paul Conners gets heavily involved now.

If Oliver really really wants to get out of there then the Conners manipulation and public positioning will start very shortly.

If you hear nothing over the next few days it’s as good as over.
Isn’t Danger in the conners group? Maybe they’re catching up over the weekend to get the deal done

Petracca decided not to use the nuclear option.

Perhaps Oliver should + stand up to the Melbourne bully boys?
You cant destroy yourself whilst trying to make a move.

We refused to release Esava and Kelly.
They didn't go nuclear.

IF Oliver was only on $500k it would be easy. But he's not.
No one with a sane mind is burning $1.2 mill per year.

He could walk away from the sport completely if he was completely depressed. He has that option.
No idiot walks from $8 million though.

You cant destroy yourself whilst trying to make a move.

We refused to release Esava and Kelly.
They didn't go nuclear.

IF Oliver was only on $500k it would be easy. But he's not.
No one with a sane mind is burning $1.2 mill per year.

He could walk away from the sport completely if he was completely depressed. He has that option.
No idiot walks from $8 million though.
As a whole, we need to stop trying to find comparisons for this situation. There isn't one.

It's useless trying to advise Oliver on what he should do, or comparing his reaction to what other players have done in the past.

Especially with mental health elements being involved. There's too many variables to just say "He can do X, Y, & Z".

For all we know, the structure of being a footballer is all that's keeping Clarry upright at the moment.

In his eyes, he might think he can't walk away from the game, but he still needs to get out of the MFC for his own wellbeing.

Any comparison is so far from apples to apples it's not funny. We've never seen this before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cerra cannot play. Just one of many many players whose draft position dictates people’s opinion for life.

GWS basically on a circular loop as people think every top 20 pick they have had is a gun “in the right environment”.

The reality is he’s a run of the mill 25 year old.
Statistically he is one of the better users in the league and his ball use has a direct correlation to Carlton winning. I would take him for a 2nd round pick but they would ask for a lot more

I don’t see the issue, granted I have no idea on the specifics re. salary cap in an instance like this. The Franklin contract was only contentious because it was tied up with free agency and compensation.

The same hypothetical (reducing the size of contract) was discussed with Grundy when he moved, and the reporting around it was that it would be fine, as long as he agreed to it.

Yes but Grundy is an example he never actually took a paycut he's still on his original 900k Collingwood deal it's just that 2 clubs are each paying part of it. I wonder if the afl would insist on the same here. Franklin was a different case Yes but I'm not sure they would want to open the floodgates on pay cuts given cap integrity etc. But it's all guesswork

Statistically he is one of the better users in the league and his ball use has a direct correlation to Carlton winning. I would take him for a 2nd round pick but they would ask for a lot more

For a 2nd rounder cerra would be great but he's too injury prone he needs the best physio money can buy.

The unspoken in all this is the pressure that goes with that salary.
It links to what Scott said at the b n f about really not having understood the pressure Tom was under as a young key forward.
It really surprised me that Emma said in the tribute video that they had not really felt secure for many years.
We have seen several times that with the really massive dollars come collapses of various sorts.
I can’t help wondering whether managers are driving a culture of massive dollars / too long contracts for their own benefit and headlines, when in fact tucking into the peloton, pay wise, would make their star player a lot better off.

It links to what Scott said at the b n f about really not having understood the pressure Tom was under as a young key forward.
It really surprised me that Emma said in the tribute video that they had not really felt secure for many years.
We have seen several times that with the really massive dollars come collapses of various sorts.
I can’t help wondering whether managers are driving a culture of massive dollars / too long contracts for their own benefit and headlines, when in fact tucking into the peloton, pay wise, would make their star player a lot better off.
Links back to what I said the money is always good but you can’t buy back your health

I hope for Oliver’s sake he has some good people with some good advice and support around him he’s going to need it if he stays in that toxic environment

Haha yeah there are a few contenders. Collingwood 2011-2012 with their ridiculous coach transition plan that destroyed a dynasty in the making? Bombers under Hird? North last decade for sure.
The Melbourne implosion is similar to the Collingwood side. In both cases, it looked like they were building towards a dynasty with the playing list they had assembled.
In Melbourne's case, the rumblings about their cultural issues had been around since before their flag. They did nothing about it, and this is the result. They've pissed away their chance of having a sustained run of success.

I personally don't mind not getting Oliver. I think that would have been too big of a risk for such immense expenditure; however, Melbourne forcing him to say seems like a poor decision on their part as well. The guy is disgruntled with the place and he has a huge contract anyway. He's just going to dish up much the same as he did this year and could fall off even worse if he loses all motivation and drive. The playing group seems so fractured, you wonder how they'll be able to get together and play footy. It's going to be an albatross they carry around their neck for years.

Great post, you see good player fail due to trying to do too much, with more money to spend around you likely to have better players next to you to share the load

As a whole, we need to stop trying to find comparisons for this situation. There isn't one.

It's useless trying to advise Oliver on what he should do, or comparing his reaction to what other players have done in the past.

Especially with mental health elements being involved. There's too many variables to just say "He can do X, Y, & Z".

For all we know, the structure of being a footballer is all that's keeping Clarry upright at the moment.

In his eyes, he might think he can't walk away from the game, but he still needs to get out of the MFC for his own wellbeing.

Any comparison is so far from apples to apples it's not funny. We've never seen this before.
I think thats over dramatic.
We really dont know everything thats ever happened. I for one know what Snr was up to in 95'

We saw the cousins situation.

And the Buddy thing was completely swept under the carpet. Were you in living in Melbourne in 08 when he scored his 100th that year? And I'm not talking about 6 pointers.

I knew a lot of what was happening with Carey way before it all came out.

Wayne Johnson?

Libba, Dahlhaus, Stringer Tuesdays?

History is littered with this stuff.

Considering it's pick 38... I can only agree as it's a late... late nothing pick.
But Wells would think it otherwise. I reckon.
But would he be able to add anything worthwhile to our midfield that we don't already have?? Not sure.
I'd gladly stay pat. But i'm not calling the shots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back