Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

And infinitely better than Rohan on fumes.
Ridiculous calls that some would take Chucky 100 times out of 100.

Unbelievably bad call by those above. Duncan deserves a 2025 list spot.
Just because someone’s opinion doesn’t marry up with yours, it doesn’t mean it’s a bad opinion.
Different views and all that…

Hi Guys - I stumbled upong this is twitter - Not sure if this specific info has been mentioned before in relation to a property purchase by Zak Butters half an hour out of Geelong or not - or the accuracy of the comment - it is in reply to a Sam Edmund comment by a Jimmy Fazz who appears to be a Carlton supporter (so assuming no biased skin in the game)
I only post this as it potentially has Geelong fingerprints all over it (IF CORRECT)

He could but it wouldn’t reflect well on him.

I think other clubs would understand given how toxic Melbourne's culture is.
IF he wants out a lot (not certain) you can imagine Connors will be privately threatening Melbourne with doing this.

Just because someone’s opinion doesn’t marry up with yours, it doesn’t mean it’s a bad opinion.
Different views and all that…

Don't worry, we've also been told throughout the season that anyone who doesn't think Hardie should have been playing seniors doesn't know anything about football and questions over their opinions

I know some liked Hardie and wanted to see him given a shot, others seemed to have similar thoughts to the club & wouldn't select him - doesn't mean that those of a differing opinions should suddenly have their opinions invalidated

Hi Guys - I stumbled upong this is twitter - Not sure if this specific info has been mentioned before in relation to a property purchase by Zak Butters half an hour out of Geelong or not - or the accuracy of the comment - it is in reply to a Sam Edmund comment by a Jimmy Fazz who appears to be a Carlton supporter (so assuming no biased skin in the game)
I only post this as it potentially has Geelong fingerprints all over it (IF CORRECT)

We have all spoken about that but Port won't agree to trade butters next year it will be 2026 when hes FA that we chase him.

People say that regards that Duncan will retire as soon as he reaches his 300th..
There is no way the club and he would agree he would play only 3 more games, do a full pre-season just for 3 games.. that is just a waste to have a person on the player on our list and possibly of finding a player to have on our list and giving a player a chance to play many games for our club

I would agree with you that I wouldn't do that (hence I'd retire him now) but if he has a couple of sub games early gets 300 and then gets dropped..if he doesn't want to play the whole year in the vfl he might go mid season (which we may not mind if we want an MSD pick).

The talk from Journos with good Geelong mail is that the club have told him they want to get him to 300 games and are happy for him to retire before the mid season draft if he wants.
So people aren't just saying it for shits and giggles

It's actually a fantastic attitude to it all if correct and part of what makes the club so good IMO

Duncan has been one of my favourites over the journey, so on one hand I’d love to see home get there. And I’m generally of the opinion that the 23rd picked each week probably doesn’t have a huge bearing on the result. So, if this happens, so be it.

But I would view it almost completely the opposite. Gifting someone games just to reach a milestone, which is what you’re describing, goes completely against the team first mentality which has made our club great of recent years. If they want to manage him through the year and contribute as needed, I think there’s a role for him. But if he’s going to take a list spot and games early in the year off someone who could actually contribute to our team in finals, with the intention of not even being on the list in September, I see it as a bad precedent to set.

I think other clubs would understand given how toxic Melbourne's culture is.
IF he wants out a lot (not certain) you can imagine Connors will be privately threatening Melbourne with doing this.

I think if anything is going to happen it needs to be sorted these next 2 weeks or else he goes back to MFC and gives it his best shot. If it falls apart then at least he can say he tried.

Connors is a powerful figure in the industry and if Oliver still is determined to play for us and he thinks he can facilitate a way to make it happen then he will.

Anyone with a subscription to The Age?

Why Geelong should put a line through Clayton Oliver​

Geelong have entered a high-risk phase in their battle to defy AFL equalisation policies designed to bring them back to the field.

And it leaves the Cats in grave danger of being called a destination club while evolving into one that believes it can do no wrong as they entertain the idea of recruiting disaffected Demon Clayton Oliver while planning to also nab Bulldog Bailey Smith and Carlton’s Jack Martin.

One relief for Cats fans is that the smart heads at Geelong understand this. Coach Chris Scott said at the club’s best and fairest that the Cats were reaching a point in fighting the equalisation system where the risks were inevitably higher than they once might have been.

He said the club was in a position where “we have got to be a little bit careful that we don’t assume we do things better than everyone else”.

Of course, they have done things better than most in the recent past, but they have become better at assuming they do, too.

The club has shifted its approach off-field in a way that is more hard-headed and corporate than it once was. The Cats have embarked on a marketing strategy to pursue membership targets and fill the now 40,000-capacity stadium, while trying to simultaneously maintain a community feel.

It’s a tough ask.

There is now a danger for Geelong of succumbing to hubris and falling into chaos as this growth focus makes winning necessary to keep everyone satisfied.

On-field success has made the shift harder to detect, but it has happened, even if the club can justify the approach given how tough it is to find revenue.

Within the shift have been changes that make even Geelong vulnerable.

They lost their most significant on-field leaders and community heroes Joel Selwood, Tom Hawkins and Harry Taylor recently.

They have a gap in the number of players aged 25-28 compared to their contenders – the Brisbane Lions and Sydney have more of their core at that age than Geelong, which leaves a potential leadership void.

Their coach, who has presided in outstanding fashion over this era, is next out of contract at the end of 2026, and who knows whether he will want to be there beyond that. Patrick Dangerfield will be gone at the latest by 2026 too, which takes another experienced head away. Long-time fitness boss, and a man who left his ego at the door, Scott Murphy, is moving to rugby union.

Their next crop of youngsters including best-and-fairest winner Max Holmes have formed a tight bond. Oliver Dempsey, Tanner Bruhn, Sam De Koning, Shannon Neale, OIlie Henry, Jhye Clark and Connor Sullivan show all the qualities that have come to define Geelong.

But as young players they remain untested when it comes to dealing with different personalities who have been there, done that before they arrive at the club.

One thing has appeared to escape those lauding Geelong for their brilliance in attracting Smith and Oliver: the Cats want it believed that the duo’s respective clubs don’t want them, while Carlton’s Jack Martin was delisted due to constant injury issues.

Who would know whether Melbourne want Oliver or not? They don’t seem to know themselves. But the argument that the Bulldogs don’t want Smith is dubious given the Cats have been into the talented midfielder for the past two seasons, years when Smith gave very little to the Bulldogs due to form and an ACL injury.

In terms of comparing risk profiles, Smith and Oliver are more akin to Cats recruits Mitch Clark, Jack Steven and Tyson Stengle than to Dangerfield, Jeremy Cameron, Jack Bowes, Zach Tuohy and Isaac Smith. Stengle arrived alongside Eddie Betts and has been good, but Clark and Steven had no impact.

Martin is less of a risk as they will give up no draft capital, his attitude is beyond question and they are entitled to think they at least have a chance to get him fit.

With Smith set to be on a long-term deal and, if they land Oliver on a multimillion-dollar contract lasting until 2030, it could well be for others to clean up if the risks fail.

Geelong should be thankful if Melbourne stop them from going down the Oliver path as it seems too risky a call even though Oliver is clearly keen to get there. While Geelong run a brilliant football program, everyone needs reminding occasionally that they aren’t miracle workers. Oliver has required his club, his management, his skipper Max Gawn and the AFL to be heavily involved in his life to get him back on track and there remain questions whether he will recapture his form. Geelong would need to commit to a similar whole-of-club approach to make it work. That’s never easy.

Remember Hawthorn were lauded for grabbing Tom Scully and Jonathon Patton from the Giants at a bargain price and offloading Ryan Burton to bring in Chad Wingard from Port Adelaide. The Hawks did well to draft Will Day and trade in Sam Frost in that period but landed little else and, after much heartache, were forced to change tack.

Richmond paid a high price for Jacob Hopper and Tim Taranto as then coach Damien Hardwick wanted to keep competing. They finished bottom this season after the coach left midway through 2023 and plans went awry.

At least at Geelong their coach has promised the Cats’ decision makers won’t risk the club’s future for short-term gain.

If that is the case they should be content with landing Smith and Martin, develop their exciting crop of players and remind themselves that destination clubs can still attract free agents regardless of the cycle – without the same risk Oliver might bring.

They should reset their sights on Tom De Koning and others who will be free agents next year as well as joining what will be long queue trying to convince Harley Reid to return to Victoria.

And under new president Grant McCabe, a local with a good reputation, they should remind themselves they have been able to have success while standing for more than just winning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kid called Gabriel Stumpf has tested very well in the combine. Tall forward who hasn’t been given much mention in draft discussions. May be a possibility with one of our late picks?

I cant remember him but he was in the Metro side … kicks goals along side of Sims … be nice to have som vision

I think if anything is going to happen it needs to be sorted these next 2 weeks or else he goes back to MFC and gives it his best shot. If it falls apart then at least he can say he tried.

Connors is a powerful figure in the industry and if Oliver still is determined to play for us and he thinks he can facilitate a way to make it happen then he will.

I agree.
I think it depends on Clayton now. Is he prepared to burn bridges to get his way out of there or is he prepared to clock in and out knowing he won't play finals and they don't want him but he will get massive money.
If it's the former I think melb will be under pressure to deal him cheap (they clearly want a better pick but we won't budge). I still think there's a chance they hold him purely because there's internal turmoil and staff aren't on the same page so I can see a trade being blocked if they can't get 4 or 5 staff to agree on it.

But that would be a big risk to them if Clayton tries to burn it because Connors stable us clearly the most powerful in the management game and they would know if they anger him no Connors player is going anywhere near Melbourne for a long time and existing players might want out. I'm not a fan of the power agents have (ie they have too much) but it could be relevant here.

Why Geelong should put a line through Clayton Oliver​

Geelong have entered a high-risk phase in their battle to defy AFL equalisation policies designed to bring them back to the field.

And it leaves the Cats in grave danger of being called a destination club while evolving into one that believes it can do no wrong as they entertain the idea of recruiting disaffected Demon Clayton Oliver while planning to also nab Bulldog Bailey Smith and Carlton’s Jack Martin.

One relief for Cats fans is that the smart heads at Geelong understand this. Coach Chris Scott said at the club’s best and fairest that the Cats were reaching a point in fighting the equalisation system where the risks were inevitably higher than they once might have been.

He said the club was in a position where “we have got to be a little bit careful that we don’t assume we do things better than everyone else”.

Of course, they have done things better than most in the recent past, but they have become better at assuming they do, too.

The club has shifted its approach off-field in a way that is more hard-headed and corporate than it once was. The Cats have embarked on a marketing strategy to pursue membership targets and fill the now 40,000-capacity stadium, while trying to simultaneously maintain a community feel.

It’s a tough ask.

There is now a danger for Geelong of succumbing to hubris and falling into chaos as this growth focus makes winning necessary to keep everyone satisfied.

On-field success has made the shift harder to detect, but it has happened, even if the club can justify the approach given how tough it is to find revenue.

Within the shift have been changes that make even Geelong vulnerable.

They lost their most significant on-field leaders and community heroes Joel Selwood, Tom Hawkins and Harry Taylor recently.

They have a gap in the number of players aged 25-28 compared to their contenders – the Brisbane Lions and Sydney have more of their core at that age than Geelong, which leaves a potential leadership void.

Their coach, who has presided in outstanding fashion over this era, is next out of contract at the end of 2026, and who knows whether he will want to be there beyond that. Patrick Dangerfield will be gone at the latest by 2026 too, which takes another experienced head away. Long-time fitness boss, and a man who left his ego at the door, Scott Murphy, is moving to rugby union.

Their next crop of youngsters including best-and-fairest winner Max Holmes have formed a tight bond. Oliver Dempsey, Tanner Bruhn, Sam De Koning, Shannon Neale, OIlie Henry, Jhye Clark and Connor Sullivan show all the qualities that have come to define Geelong.

But as young players they remain untested when it comes to dealing with different personalities who have been there, done that before they arrive at the club.

One thing has appeared to escape those lauding Geelong for their brilliance in attracting Smith and Oliver: the Cats want it believed that the duo’s respective clubs don’t want them, while Carlton’s Jack Martin was delisted due to constant injury issues.

Who would know whether Melbourne want Oliver or not? They don’t seem to know themselves. But the argument that the Bulldogs don’t want Smith is dubious given the Cats have been into the talented midfielder for the past two seasons, years when Smith gave very little to the Bulldogs due to form and an ACL injury.

In terms of comparing risk profiles, Smith and Oliver are more akin to Cats recruits Mitch Clark, Jack Steven and Tyson Stengle than to Dangerfield, Jeremy Cameron, Jack Bowes, Zach Tuohy and Isaac Smith. Stengle arrived alongside Eddie Betts and has been good, but Clark and Steven had no impact.

Martin is less of a risk as they will give up no draft capital, his attitude is beyond question and they are entitled to think they at least have a chance to get him fit.

With Smith set to be on a long-term deal and, if they land Oliver on a multimillion-dollar contract lasting until 2030, it could well be for others to clean up if the risks fail.

Geelong should be thankful if Melbourne stop them from going down the Oliver path as it seems too risky a call even though Oliver is clearly keen to get there. While Geelong run a brilliant football program, everyone needs reminding occasionally that they aren’t miracle workers. Oliver has required his club, his management, his skipper Max Gawn and the AFL to be heavily involved in his life to get him back on track and there remain questions whether he will recapture his form. Geelong would need to commit to a similar whole-of-club approach to make it work. That’s never easy.

Remember Hawthorn were lauded for grabbing Tom Scully and Jonathon Patton from the Giants at a bargain price and offloading Ryan Burton to bring in Chad Wingard from Port Adelaide. The Hawks did well to draft Will Day and trade in Sam Frost in that period but landed little else and, after much heartache, were forced to change tack.

Richmond paid a high price for Jacob Hopper and Tim Taranto as then coach Damien Hardwick wanted to keep competing. They finished bottom this season after the coach left midway through 2023 and plans went awry.

At least at Geelong their coach has promised the Cats’ decision makers won’t risk the club’s future for short-term gain.

If that is the case they should be content with landing Smith and Martin, develop their exciting crop of players and remind themselves that destination clubs can still attract free agents regardless of the cycle – without the same risk Oliver might bring.

They should reset their sights on Tom De Koning and others who will be free agents next year as well as joining what will be long queue trying to convince Harley Reid to return to Victoria.

And under new president Grant McCabe, a local with a good reputation, they should remind themselves they have been able to have success while standing for more than just winning.
Article makes a reasonable argument

Someone is obviously new to the sport of AFL, doesn't understand the history of the AFL or literally how they changed the drafting process of F&S selections following Geelong's acquisition of Hawkins with pick 41

It seems as if some non vic have a perpetual chip on their shoulder…. gees. Brisbane got Johno Brown as a father son ..when the rules were different …his did did not play 100 games …. The rules have been constantly monitored and revised…its not just because of Ashcroft

Last edited:
He is spot on.
The risks far outweigh the benefits.

Back in our development program as per usual.
Clark, Bruhn, Clohesy, Knevitt, one or two of those will likely have a break-out year.
Cats hierarchy go all in for a Reid, Cadman or Butters over the next 12-18 months :thumbsu:
There’s a risk in that too.

If you think for one second Clark, Bruhn, Clohesy or Knevitt are locks for above ave AFL players then….

Clark, Clohesy and Knevitt might not even be min AFL standard

The talk from Journos with good Geelong mail is that the club have told him they want to get him to 300 games and are happy for him to retire before the mid season draft if he wants.
So people aren't just saying it for shits and giggles

It's actually a fantastic attitude to it all if correct and part of what makes the club so good IMO

I think thats a fantastic thing to do …like wise I probably would have found a way to keep Rohan till he reached 100 games for us. I would not write Duncan off being able to contribute on and off the ground. ..Long term Im happy with us as a club rewarding a player..help him get a loyal premiership player to 300 in comparison to losing a player as the WC and Swans just have.

Duncan has been one of my favourites over the journey, so on one hand I’d love to see home get there. And I’m generally of the opinion that the 23rd picked each week probably doesn’t have a huge bearing on the result. So, if this happens, so be it.

But I would view it almost completely the opposite. Gifting someone games just to reach a milestone, which is what you’re describing, goes completely against the team first mentality which has made our club great of recent years. If they want to manage him through the year and contribute as needed, I think there’s a role for him. But if he’s going to take a list spot and games early in the year off someone who could actually contribute to our team in finals, with the intention of not even being on the list in September, I see it as a bad precedent to set.
I appreciate the point of view, the way it was reported (it was on the mid week tackle mid September fwiw)
Was that club wants him to get to 300, they are happy to give him a year and he has no pressure and is free to retire before the mid season draft if he's struggling.

I personally see that as a fantastic attitude and example of people management... Remains to be see what happens obviously

I’m no lawyer but I would assume unless deemed medically unfit to play that Oliver would need to play to satisfy his requirements of the contract to be paid. I’m not sure he can just refuse to play for them.
If he is not committed to the club his performance will be subpar. Being shopped around for two years in a row does not foster loyalty.

If he has issues they should be respected.

Geelong would not keep a player under those conditions. That is what good culture is about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back