Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Major difference between Sav and Kelly deals, is we didn't shop them - and we didn't want them to go. Polar opposite scenario when compared to phoning other clubs and seeing what you can get for them. If a club comes to you and asks the question, no worries. If a CEO goes to another club and says 'this guy is available, we want him gone for the right price' - then you can't be surprised if you piss the player off in the process...especially when you do it 2 years in a row.
Yes, they're different in that we didn't shop them. They're the same in that they're players who wanted out and we held them to contract.

To be fair to the Cats, the situation is actually more similar to the Caddy situation from several years ago. In that period, we waved Caddy in front of Richmond as part of the Deledio deal. That deal fell through, but turned out after being put on the table, Caddy wanted out anyway and we obliged. I believe he was contracted too, though of much lower stature than Oliver.

Oliver is under contract with the Melbourne Football Club for a long time and for a considerable amount of money. It basically doesn't matter what he wants. If Melbourne don't want him out, then he has to stay. If they're open to letting him go, it has to be on their terms. They dangled him as trade bait as is their right to do. They've clearly seen that what they could get in a deal isn't worth it for them. So they're going to keep him. They have every right to do that, as we did when Kelly and Sav wanted to go a year earlier than they did.

He can tell them he wants to go to Geelong until he's blue in the face. They say no, and that's it. He's not coming. Whether or not denying multiple anguished players like that is good for player relations, club culture and performance going forward is another matter, but that isn't our concern.

This is not your standard shopping around scenario.

• Oliver has some behavioural slip ups and reported mental health challenges.
  • His club has now secretly shipped him 2 yrs running with him finding out third hand
  • The club has some broader cultural and leadership issues / and it’s not a great environment. Certainly not one that Petracca or Oliver (or Neale Bullen) desperately want to remain a part of.

Everyone can clearly see that the relationship with player and club is severely damaged. With Oliver’s well documented struggles I think there will be external forces leaning on Melbourne to do the right thing by itself and the player and part company. Legally they don’t have to but I think common sense - decency - and player welfare will drive the outcome here.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

34 isn't enough for a future 2nd it will cost Carlton more (which is probably why they want to move Kennedy to upgrade 34 into an earlier 2nd).
And I still don't think Port would accept 14 alone for Houston it will cost Carlton both their r1s (with something coming back).

In a clean draft a future 2nd round pick could be quite valuable, under the current system, an established role player is probably worth more. I don't think they'd have trouble prying one from a top 4/8 team if needed.

Yes, they're different in that we didn't shop them. They're the same in that they're players who wanted out and we held them to contract.

To be fair to the Cats, the situation is actually more similar to the Caddy situation from several years ago. In that period, we waved Caddy in front of Richmond as part of the Deledio deal. That deal fell through, but turned out after being put on the table, Caddy wanted out anyway and we obliged. I believe he was contracted too, though of much lower stature than Oliver.
Your right.
We were all shocked at the time.

I hope we don't get Oliver. I think the likely outcome is that he never gets back close to his best and a slow inside mid with poor disposal that isn't in peak condition can become a liability very quickly.

But it's definitely not over. Melbourne just need to realise how badly they've ****ed this up. If Oliver kicks up a stink over the next week they'll trade him for whatever they can get, even if that's a future 2nd rounder and paying 50% of his wage. But as I said even for that I don't know that I want him.

No, this reminds me more of Fevola (though not as bad). Caddy, so far as we know, didn't do anything to warrant being shopped around; Oliver clearly bears fault here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My feeling (and this isn’t from my source) is that if tomorrow Oliver says to Gawn that he still wants to move on that Gawn will play a big role in placating the dingbats in their admin and get them to facilitate a trade.
Its quite possible that they said to him we cant let you go to Geelong and make them stronger, but if you want to go to North so we get a top pick feel free

Its quite possible that they said to him we cant let you go to Geelong and make them stronger, but if you want to go to North so we get a top pick feel free

I’m not sure that’s been articulated to him. All that I’m aware of is that Pert exclusively shopped him around to a few lower clubs including St Kilda (probably Rich and North too you’d expect). If they had shown interest (and Oliver was duly interested in moving to one of them) it would be all systems go.

He tested well in one of the vertical jumps I think too.

TALLS IMPRESS IN COMBINE TESTING​

NORTHERN Knights tall forward Gabriel Stumpf caught the eye of scouts on Sunday at the Telstra AFL Draft Combine, recording the equal fifth quickest 20-metre sprint in testing history.

The 196cm prospect proved his athleticism by winning the event with a 2.81 second run. He also won the vertical jumps test with a leap of 76cm and was fifth in the running jump (left hand) test.

NORTHERN Knights tall forward Gabriel Stumpf caught the eye of scouts on Sunday at the Telstra AFL Draft Combine, recording the equal fifth quickest 20-metre sprint in testing history.

The 196cm prospect proved his athleticism by winning the event with a 2.81 second run. He also won the vertical jumps test with a leap of 76cm and was fifth in the running jump (left hand) test.

Can he actually play football? 🤷‍♂️🤣

I have a conspiracy theory. . .
Gary Ablett took mark of the century over Gary Pert in 1994. He’s still salty + that’s why he’s refusing Oliver to join Geelong 😼
Gary probably thought Gary was lucky to have even been paid the mark and as such made it his life's mission to ensure Geelong never gets kissed on the 🍆 again.

Don't think we dangled Caddy, we were blinsided

There are too many rivals for each flag for this to happen, it's not like the Premier League where there's only a couple of contenders and there's overseas leagues to consider.

Oh Turbo, you and your combine testing. It's so over rated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back