Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Yeah agreed and that’s exactly what they are doing, but the new point system is t coming in this year.

Lucky Brisbane.

I had a Tigers fans talking about how dirty they were that Brisbane were going to get the best kid in the draft again for unders after just winning the flag.

I said “well you can be dirty on your club if they don’t bid on him with #1 on Levi and make them pay the maximum”.
Did they forget they got Tom Lynch for nothing after winning a flag?

The rest of the league got screwed because their picks got pushed back by compo, Richmond didn't have to give up any picks and got Lynch out of it.

Ollie Dempsey is a Christian too

I thought his hair just made him look like the flying nun

I hope we are having a good look at Kennedy.

27 years old, experienced but not too many kms on the clock.

Hard trainer and committed Xian from what I hear.

Excellent club man, and much loved by other players.

No risk to culture - in fact would engage with Cats culture and grow it.

Strong inside player.

I would think pretty reasonable cost.

Good fit for us on a 3 year deal.

I don't mind him. Not a high profile signing but decent player and we need a good inside mid.

This is not your standard shopping around scenario.

• Oliver has some behavioural slip ups and reported mental health challenges.
  • His club has now secretly shipped him 2 yrs running with him finding out third hand
  • The club has some broader cultural and leadership issues / and it’s not a great environment. Certainly not one that Petracca or Oliver (or Neale Bullen) desperately want to remain a part of.

Everyone can clearly see that the relationship with player and club is severely damaged. With Oliver’s well documented struggles I think there will be external forces leaning on Melbourne to do the right thing by itself and the player and part company. Legally they don’t have to but I think common sense - decency - and player welfare will drive the outcome here.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It should but there's a lot of people at Melbourne not doing what they should be so I wouldn't bank on it.

In a clean draft a future 2nd round pick could be quite valuable, under the current system, an established role player is probably worth more. I don't think they'd have trouble prying one from a top 4/8 team if needed.

Futures always have less value when trading into the current r1/2.
I would expect it would cost Carlton a mid 20s pick to get a future 2nd unless it's a team that is sure they are top 4.

My feeling (and this isn’t from my source) is that if tomorrow Oliver says to Gawn that he still wants to move on that Gawn will play a big role in placating the dingbats in their admin and get them to facilitate a trade.

I thought gawn said the other day he was happy to be not involved in list management?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it were over-rated, recruiters would have gotten rid of it.

Imo the testing itself is of limited value, they really don't do a lot of it, and unless you have an extremely poor test (show awful acceleration in the 20 metre sprint, 8 minute 2km) or an extremely good test (for a play who showed little on the field), it probably doesn't move the needle for most.

The more valuable part would be seeing how the players interact with each other, who sits alone on their phone, who mingles only with their teammates. Who follows direction well, who jokes around when it is time to be serious etc.

Seeing which clubs speaks to which prospects to get an idea of which clubs are interested in which players

Does my head in that trade 'week' is so long... If clubs can't sort their shit out in 5 days then badluck. This whole running trades to the last minute 'deadline' is unnecesary theatre.
Hutchy pays a lot of money for it to go as long as it does

No, this reminds me more of Fevola (though not as bad). Caddy, so far as we know, didn't do anything to warrant being shopped around; Oliver clearly bears fault here.
50% and F2 only? Surely Geelong could up the offer, I sure as hell wouldn't trade him for that, we need to at least make it half look like a win/break even for MFC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back